Junior Member Registered Member bustamove's Avatar

Overdue and practically dead

How many vote to shutdown the forums on CarReview?

Activity is super low and and even the spammers no longer post here.

Time for CarReview to move into the 21st century and join the party on Facebook and Twitter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    I vote "Nay".

Back in 2005, CR was really a happening place. CV and Easy E were dishing out some great advice. They helped me in properly setting my amplifier. At the time, I was just 20 and had virtually no experience with the physics involved in fathoming the right settings. Since then, I swear by the advice I received at CR.

Heck, if I had it to do all over again I would've took heed to CV and Easy's advice. I would've bought a used herse, put a 10 cu. ft vented enclosure tuned all the way down to 20Hz and drop a 12" RE Audio XXX, and put it all in the hatch. I'd power it with a MTX 1501D, and install two pairs of CDT Classics with their own 4 channel amp. I would then proceed to roll up on this one punk kid who always liked blasting his W7 down my street (even well into his 20s...) in his crappy Ford Bronco XT. I know for a fact that he had his bass boost maxed. I would darn well teach him what "good" music actually sounds like.

But, alas, I was young and naive, bought a W6, and as if that wasn't bad enough, I bought a JL 500/1. An amplifier that's infamous for hex bolts that are ... "Made from the Worst Stuff on Earth"(TM). Unfortunately, I bought all this equipment a month before I started actively participating at CR. Oh well...

bustamove, I think you have a great idea here with linking CR to Facebook and Twitter. I don't have an account with either of them. Yes, I know KirK's just 26 and already he is becoming an "old fuddy-duddy". No, it's just that since I have Asperger's, I have moderate OCD, so checking up on profiles would become an unproductive compulsion. To prevent that, I abstain from "social networking". I try spending most of my time studying and becoming more knowledgeable. Don't get me wrong, I mean the younger folks LOVE "social networking". So, if you want the forums to get some appeal from the younger folks, that would definitely be a good place to start. Heck, my older sister has a Facebook and she's 36.

Anyway, I digress. Occassionally, Easy E drops by. CV I hardly ever see anymore. I think its been 5 years since they graduated. Maybe, they're preparing for their PE. I don't know. I'll drop by every now and then. At least before I start school. Anyway, good idea with the social networking, bustamove. I think that will certainly work for an appeal for the forums.
    Last edited by KirK; 05-14-2011 at 10:54.
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Junior Member Registered Member bustamove's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KirK View Post
    I vote "Nay".

Back in 2005, CR was really a happening place. CV and Easy E were dishing out some great advice. They helped me in properly setting my amplifier. At the time, I was just 20 and had virtually no experience with the physics involved in fathoming the right settings. Since then, I swear by the advice I received at CR.

Heck, if I had it to do all over again I would've took heed to CV and Easy's advice. I would've bought a used herse, put a 10 cu. ft vented enclosure tuned all the way down to 20Hz and drop a 12" RE Audio XXX, and put it all in the hatch. I'd power it with a MTX 1501D, and install two pairs of CDT Classics with their own 4 channel amp. I would then proceed to roll up on this one punk kid who always liked blasting his W7 down my street (even well into his 20s...) in his crappy Ford Bronco XT. I know for a fact that he had his bass boost maxed. I would darn well teach him what "good" music actually sounds like.

But, alas, I was young and naive, bought a W6, and as if that wasn't bad enough, I bought a JL 500/1. An amplifier that's infamous for hex bolts that are ... "Made from the Worst Stuff on Earth"(TM). Unfortunately, I bought all this equipment a month before I started actively participating at CR. Oh well...

bustamove, I think you have a great idea here with linking CR to Facebook and Twitter. I don't have an account with either of them. Yes, I know KirK's just 26 and already he is becoming an "old fuddy-duddy". No, it's just that since I have Asperger's, I have moderate OCD, so checking up on profiles would become an unproductive compulsion. To prevent that, I abstain from "social networking". I try spending most of my time studying and becoming more knowledgeable. Don't get me wrong, I mean the younger folks LOVE "social networking". So, if you want the forums to get some appeal from the younger folks, that would definitely be a good place to start. Heck, my older sister has a Facebook and she's 36.

Anyway, I digress. Occassionally, Easy E drops by. CV I hardly ever see anymore. I think its been 5 years since they graduated. Maybe, they're preparing for their PE. I don't know. I'll drop by every now and then. At least before I start school. Anyway, good idea with the social networking, bustamove. I think that will certainly work for an appeal for the forums.
    Thanks for the intelligent reply and gives me a pause for consideration. The Car Audio forum is somehow connected to the forum on Audio Review. Even if this forum disappears on CarReview, it may continue to live on our sister-site, AudioReview.com.

Yeah, it's not a matter of forums just becoming an obsolete medium of communicating ideas, it really boils down to popularity concerning distinctive attributes. That is, what sets CarREVIEW apart from other online forums. Sure we can recommend RE Audio, Second Skin sound deadener, CDT Classics, alternators from Ohio Generator or Iraggi, but what we need is the tech savy individuals. Those who are studying Acoustical Engineering, or for that matter any engineering in general will be great assets to the forums. I am talking about individuals' that will bend over backwards to successfully assist someone in dire confusion. Sure we had CV and Easy E at one time, but maybe someone can take their place.

However, back to "forums". Crutchfield has their own forums and theirs are actually quite active considering the customer base. So "forums" really aren't outdated.

Anyway, what would you, the members of CarREVIEW like to see happen? All opposed vote "Nay", or those for the shutdown vote "Aye".

-Malcolm X

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Well Audioreview is a more popular forum. But I would be sad if this forum ever disappeared and my thousands of posts...
    Thats my 2 cents.

SeNiOr MeMbEr!!! Registered Member nastynas's Avatar
    If it was up to me, I would never close this forum so a big NAY from me.

Story time:
    Well over a decade ago, my dealer told me, if I ever wanted to know if a product was good or not, there is an American forum (this one) and advised me to use this forum if I wanted to know how good something was.
    A few days later, my first time unaccompanied on a PC for the first time, I believe this was the first site I ever used.
    The End.

Since then, the advice that I have received from this forum has been unrivaled. Closing this forum would be detriment to people needing bulletproof advice.

I use another forum (Talk Audio) which is VERY active. A simple question was asked on there in regards to how individual components affect the sound of a speaker and how do manufacturers get a speaker to sound a certain way. There was silence!
    One quick question on here and CV and EasyE explained it in a very simple and comprehensive way.

Whether inactive or active, this forum has something that I have not seen in any other forum. I wish I had the knowledge to take over from EasyE and CV but sadly I don't.

Facebook seems like a really good idea. If you wish this forum to be more active, it may be an idea to advertise this forum in your signatures on other forums such as the one I use which is a UK based forum. They love Americans visiting on there. This was just an idea and hope you don't mind

Sorry for the long essay.
    Last edited by nastynas; 05-17-2012 at 03:21.
    ''these Over-night Wonder, Self Proclaimed Audio Guru's who think x number of years of being enamored with their own perception of audio actually accounts for 'knowledge'... '' Kirk

Junior Member Registered Member

just getting started here

I have found the consumer reviews on this site very useful...now that I have a question am I to find I may be too late to get an answer???? I hope not.
    Here's the question:
    I have a 2005 Honda Element with 120k on it. Good car, and I've kept up with the maintenance since I bought it used with 46K. I have just recently inherited my mother's 2003 Taurus wagon with only 38K, also meticulously maintained. I can't keep them both. Have already posted ads on Craigslist to sell the Ford and no buyers have come forward. I think I could sell the Honda more easily, and probably get more money for it, too (at least, according to the KBB figures I've researched). With a difference of 80K miles, I want to choose the car which will be the most reliable for the longest time. I would like to remain without car payments for as long as possible...
    Appreciate any thoughts from the forum.
    Richard in NJ
    Last edited by macwnj; 05-31-2012 at 11:30. Reason: clarification

Hi macwnj,

If you think the Honda Element is the one that can sell more easily, sell it. Now, I have heard horror stories about Fords, but I sincerely think those critics don't maintain their cars as well as you and I. I drive an Audi, its got about 120K + on it, but runs great. I keep up with transmission flushes and oil/filter changes. The downside is... it's an import so parts tend to get a little pricey but oh well.

I think between the import and the domestic you have, you would be better off in the long run with the Ford. You should be fine as long as you keep up with servicing. Nothing wrong with a Ford, my first car was a Tempo, and it got the job done. My father's dream car is one of those Thunderbirds' with the circular window by the rear.
    Nice to see I'm not the only one from NJ that participates at CR.

-Malcolm X

I'm with you on the pricey parts for imports. I just had a new starter put in the Element to the tune of $700...ouch! I owned a Subaru many years ago and was also stunned by the cost of repairs. Another factor I am considering is that I spend summers in a remote part of downeast Maine, and there are no Honda dealers within a hundred miles. There's a Ford dealer nearby, so if I got into a jam, there would be (at least theoretically) an expert nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by macwnj View Post
    I'm with you on the pricey parts for imports. I just had a new starter put in the Element to the tune of $700...ouch! I owned a Subaru many years ago and was also stunned by the cost of repairs. Another factor I am considering is that I spend summers in a remote part of downeast Maine, and there are no Honda dealers within a hundred miles. There's a Ford dealer nearby, so if I got into a jam, there would be (at least theoretically) an expert nearby.
    Sorry for the delayed response. I just flew back east to visit my older sister and nephew.. He's got a birthday comming up. I'm still adjusting to the Eastern Time Zone after just spending several weeks in CA with my father.

macwnj, if this matter is urgent, then yeah you might be better off trading in the Ford if southeast Maine is pretty docile with the Honda dealerships.

Aside from that, if you aren't in that big of hurry, I would just recommend what I said in the previous post.

-Malcolm X

Typically, a corpse-eating rat will be heard by a tenant attempting to gnaw through a box of freshy purchased pizza or the small cupboard in which tenants are forced to store their meager reserves of food as refigerators rarely work and kitchen cupboards simply proving spaces for the corpse-eating rats and their smaller cousins, mice, to nest.

speed reading test

Thanks for the irrelevant topic jackmelan ...

Judging from these LONG maintenance periods and inaccessible images I'm guessing that CarReview forums may disappear. That would suck ... This is probably the one and only online forum I ever participated in and am inclined to be active in. I couldn't bring myself to participating at AudioReview ... Most of the regulars there are on Hormone Therapy ... they hate subwoofers.

-Malcolm X

SeNiOr MeMbEr!!! Registered Member nastynas's Avatar
    I will try to revive this forum by posting new threads. Hopefully there will be a mad rush for people to join in
    ''these Over-night Wonder, Self Proclaimed Audio Guru's who think x number of years of being enamored with their own perception of audio actually accounts for 'knowledge'... '' Kirk

Thread Information