Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Junior Member Registered Member

Angry 2002 Ford Exployer Rear End Problem

We have owned Honda and Toyota for ~10 years(no major problems). My wife likes all the buttons , so the market is used. Anyway for the same year with the same items the Ford is on avg 4 k cheaper. I have owned ford trucks and never had a problem with them, so I buy a 2002 ford exployer with 48k on it. 1 k later the rearend starts leaking/whining. I take it to the dealer under the used car warranty and pull the maintenance records. Guess what! the ring and pinion have been replace at 24k. The tranny adjusted at 15k. Well I have *****ed and complained and the repairs are free, but what the heck is ford thinking. This truck now has had 3 ring and pinions? How is this possible? Well if it keeps up Becky O at fox 4 will need to do some investigation.

P.S - I am upset with ford engineers, not the dealer. The dealer so far is working with us to resolve this issue. We will see.
    Last edited by FORDINFRISCO; 03-02-2006 at 20:13.

2002 Explorer Humming Problem

I have a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4. I experienced the same problems. I had an alignment done, I replaced tires, finally another dealership told me that there was a problem with the rear end assembly on the 2002's and they replaced my rear end. Some design flaw that caused a vibration and humming noise at those speeds you mentioned. Ford replaced rear end and mounting brackets and I no longer have this noise. If the dealership will not honor it, I would recommend contacting Ford HQ's and complain. It took me some time but this is the number I used:

313-845-5903 Karen Jones, Ford Executive Offices

I hope this helps.

[QUOTE=BP123]Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it is a worn ring and pinion would there be metal flakes in the fluid. The dealer told me that they checked it but didn't see any metal flakes so they ruled that out.

Thanks.

I posted comment on this but thought I would try to reply direct. I had similar problem with my 02 Eddie Bauer 4x4. After new tires, alignment, etc. I took it to different dealership. The tech there told me that Ford had been experiencing problems with the rear end on some of their 02s. It ended up being a design problem when they went to the new body style in 02. They replaced my entire rear end and mount in Jun 04 at no cost to me. They said not all the 02's experienced this problem but enough that changed some things on the 03 model. Here is a point of contact if your dealership does nothing:

It took me a while to find this person but she works up in the headquarters.

Unhappy Rear end whining

Thanks for the information. Now that the ring and pinion has been replaced for the 3rd time the whining has stopped. I really do not have a good feeling about this repair. I had to take back a week later for the rear end leaking. I asked the service manager how is it possible to replace 3 ring and pinions? He did not know. Simple trouble shooting allows one to conclude that the gears are not the problem. I will talk to the service manager again and see if he will fix it right?

Question

OK so me and my wife bought our 2002 exlporer XLT in the summer of 2004 and for the past year we have noticed the loud humming and winding type sound as described by everyone else here. and it has been going on for the last year now recently i had just replaced the front right wheel bearing hub assembly luckily having past mechanic experience i was able to complete the job with a little hard muscle work wich only cost $200 for the wheel hub assembly kit from ford dealer. now 2 weeks later today the rear passenger side bearing went bad. which we hope was the culprit to the humming noise so i wont find out till its changed this week and unfortunatly i wont be able to replace it myself due to needing the bearing pressed on etc.. so i just searched online about our problems and have noticed we are not the only people having the problem as i thought we were. so now has anyone found and info or proof that there is a recal for the humming noises? this humming is very agrivated and like someone else said when u have passengers in the car you feel like your driving a peice of crap. but it is such a nice truck. minus the humming.
    Regards
    Ken

Thumbs down

Update... we replaced the rear bearing, humming still there. i guess its the rearend itself weather its the ring and pinion or bearings within the rearend, whatever the case i am not spending a couple thousand more replacing it. Ford should have a recal done.

Ken

2002 Ford Explorer XLT/4 DOOR V6 problems

I too have a problem with my 2002 Ford Explorer .. my wife and I bought the SUV last June/2005 and it will be almost a year this June, unfortunately problems are starting to sprout out; i bought extra Protection plan that they offered me but at first well since this is almost brand new and it had only 57,000 miles but your instinks kick in just added protection and soon enought it pays off even though i paid $1000 extra for the extra protection of the whole SUV. it was a good decision;just to make my story short first the transmission problem and it all started just a slipping and shifting problem and so i brought in to the dealer for check up. After 3 days they said then need to rebuild the transmission due to malfunctioning of some part inside the trans..the total bill for that was $3000 and good thing i bought that protection plan.
    Now the brake lights are not lighting if your braking only the brake light from the top function properly... but the 2 lights on both sides on the bottom are not working .. Unfortunately i cant find which fuse #number should i look if the fuse are in need of changing .. [B]I read the manual and i was very dissapointed because they didnt mention what #number is the fuse for the brake light SO IF YOU KNOW WHAT NUMBER ON THE FUSE BOX KINDLY REPLY. THANKS.. also again my transmission is having a problem again and it got only almost 3 months since they rebuild my transmission but the good thing was the repair shop who service my explorer gave a warranty if just in case there is a problem after they repaired my trans. I've notice that im hearing a squicking sound inside the engine and i thought it a water pump cuz my old car had that problem and sure enought i was right. other problems are turning signals flashing too fast...the steering wheel is sluggished or kinda hard to turn , sipping trans fluid,
    If all this problems are taken care off me and my wife decided to trade this explorer for a JAPANESE VAN .. im not here to discourage people who owns ford but japanese cars are less mechanically breakdown, i will trade-in the same place were we bought the SUV and traded with japanese Van maybe Quest.. I hope everybody learned there lesson not to buy FORD as i was too .
    thanks

02 Ford Explorer Brake light are Out and where is the dip stick for Tranmission. HELP

I need help if someone can tell me where can i find the fuse of 02 Ford Explorer brake light? i guess what #number.. i would like to check if the fuse are busted . i did read the owners manual and i cant find where can i located the fuse for the brake...the 2 brake lights are not working but the brake light on the top are working.Also i cant find the dip stick for tansmission to add more Trans fluid .. thanks

Angry Flashing Overdrive Light!

Here is another horror story about the now infamous flashing overdrive light on a 2002 Ford Explorer.
    My story:
    Driving home, O/D light starts flashing on highway, google this finding when I get home, came across this forum, panic, go to Ford dealership, confirm issue with my torque converter, now I am down $2500. the dealership offered no help. Today I will begin my calls to numbers/contacts I have come across on this forum. DONT BUY A 2002 FORD EXPLORER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Did you have any luck with Ford paying for the repair. I have the same problem and I am going to call karen jones. I just wanted to know what their response to you was. Thanks

[QUOTE=wdarne]
    Quote Originally Posted by BP123
    Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it is a worn ring and pinion would there be metal flakes in the fluid. The dealer told me that they checked it but didn't see any metal flakes so they ruled that out.

Thanks.

I posted comment on this but thought I would try to reply direct. I had similar problem with my 02 Eddie Bauer 4x4. After new tires, alignment, etc. I took it to different dealership. The tech there told me that Ford had been experiencing problems with the rear end on some of their 02s. It ended up being a design problem when they went to the new body style in 02. They replaced my entire rear end and mount in Jun 04 at no cost to me. They said not all the 02's experienced this problem but enough that changed some things on the 03 model. Here is a point of contact if your dealership does nothing:

It took me a while to find this person but she works up in the headquarters.

another one bites the dust

Same issue.. same scenerio... o/d lite starts flashing ( right after I have had the tranny serviced! ) .. by the time i get it home, take it to dealer, its $3500...

Send in your complaints to the consumer complaint division!
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Last edited by LarryOK; 07-21-2006 at 10:55.

STILL hating my Explorer

I've had all the same problems I read about on this forum. Perhaps a few extra...I am just over 50k miles and have had 5 tranny rebuilds and a refurbished (Ford calls new, HA!!!) BAUM installed. A multitude of front rears, and rear rears (which is currently spewing all over driveway), thermostats, blower motors, vacuum lines, etc. Most recently the heap redlines trying to accelerate onto the highway. Then the infamous OD light starts flashing and twice it's stalled out. I fear that soon I will have to add bodily harm to my lemon lawsuit...seems it's only a matter of time before she quits when someone else is driving too close/fast behind me. In addition the ac condenser blew...fun when it's hitting 90's day after day in NJ. In the shop for 3days, home for 3 and the ac is blowing hot out of drivers side. Aaaarrrghh!!!! Mind you, Ford regional mgr extended my warranty at his expense (and he's none too happy with that...imagine the income he'd have off of me if he hadn't) so I haven't had to put out cash, just live with lots of aggravation. Still it burns me up writing out that check on the loan when the truck is in the shop every 6-8 wks. I also seem to be having problems with the 4wheel low light flashing. Anyone else have this? When I bring it in to the dealer now they claim nothing registers on the diagnostics. I don't believe a word they say...for 3+ yrs everytime something blinked they could call a code. Since they found I hired an attorney miraculously there are never any codes. Weird eh!? Anyway, since I live in NJ (the state of frivolous lawsuits) it takes a while to see a lemon law case through the system. It's been over a year but hopefully Ford will come up with a reasonable settlement (their first offer was about $8k LESS than what I owe) or I'll have my day in court!! After being a die hard Ford customer for over 20yrs I will NEVER EVER PURCHASE A FORD AGAIN! And I would counsel anyone considering to think twice. They aren't worth the price Ford asks and Ford Motor Corp does NOT stand behind their product.

Slipping 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by burnz44
    Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to all its dealers about this KNOWN issue:

03-25-4 DEC 03 A/T - 5R55W No 3rd Gear/Slipping 2-3 Shift/DTC's Set
    I just noticed my 2002 Ford Explorer started slipping(I think!) today. It seems that it slow shifting between 1-2 or 2-3, I'm not sure. Where can I get a copy of the TSB?

TSB site

Quote Originally Posted by bfahey
    I just noticed my 2002 Ford Explorer started slipping(I think!) today. It seems that it slow shifting between 1-2 or 2-3, I'm not sure. Where can I get a copy of the TSB?

Check out this link for TSB's on Fords

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-FORD/y-2002

rear end problems and more on my hated Ford

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer with 55,000 miles. It will be 3 years young the end of October. I have had a whole host of problems. Anti-lock brake light on, door ajar light on (problem with electrical panel in door), this is a good one... When you open your back truck door, you can open only the window portion..One day I went to shut the window and the entire window came off the hinge on one side and the whole thing was hanging. Now I have been hearing a noise in the back towards the passenger side rear. It goes away when I release from the accelerator. Brought it to my local shop for an oil change and had him test drive he said I need a whole new rear. The gears are shedding and I have metal shavings in the differential fluids. My oil is almost the color of metalic. Called up the dealership and they claim they called Ford Motor and they don't know of any problems of this sort. Hard to believe they do not know about this. I will never ever buy a Ford again.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiamond
    I have a 2003 Ford Explorer with 55,000 miles. It will be 3 years young the end of October. I have had a whole host of problems. Anti-lock brake light on, door ajar light on (problem with electrical panel in door), this is a good one... When you open your back truck door, you can open only the window portion..One day I went to shut the window and the entire window came off the hinge on one side and the whole thing was hanging. Now I have been hearing a noise in the back towards the passenger side rear. It goes away when I release from the accelerator. Brought it to my local shop for an oil change and had him test drive he said I need a whole new rear. The gears are shedding and I have metal shavings in the differential fluids. My oil is almost the color of metalic. Called up the dealership and they claim they called Ford Motor and they don't know of any problems of this sort. Hard to believe they do not know about this. I will never ever buy a Ford again.

Outcome: since I posted the above message I did bring it to the dealer and the SUV needs a whole new rear end. Dealers get paid on bonus mostly from survey's taken by the customer. We told the dealer all we need to do is call Ford themselves, it was amazing how they came back and they are paying for 50% of the service. Total bill will be around 2000, but them picking up $1,000 is better than nothing. A car with 55, 000 should not be crapping out like this. My advice, never buy a Ford, or if you must, buy the extended warranty.

I am upset!

Quote Originally Posted by Sverk
    I too just had the same thing happen to me. My explorer overdrive light kept blinking on and off and now my transmission is cooked. I just took it in for it's 60,000 mile service and they supposedly changed the transmission fluid this past March at 61,774 miles and now I have 68,093 miles on it. What's going on???? It had fluid but it was black. I think the transmission have problems and should be recalled.
    Myra

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with 36, 500 miles on it. The O/D light started flashing and I thought it was just a fluke or computer issue because NO WAY could a car with such low mileage have transmission problems.

Anyway, I found this forum and of course became very concerned. I called Smith Cairnes Ford in Yonkers, N.Y. who told me that it would cost me between $1,700.00 and $2,300.00 to fix and that they heard of the problem. They were very unconcerned and aloof to the fact that I was upset over the fact that the car only has 36,500 miles and is having these troubles. They told me that transmission bands were busted, servo broken, etc etc.

The salessnake at the front "service" desk told me that it happened because I did not change the transmission fluid at 30,000. What a joke! Anyway, I took the car from them because they are useless and I would NEVER go to them again for anything.

I took the car to a local transmission guy who hooked up a computer to the system and he confirmed that something is wrong with the transmission, but maybe just a cellenoid pack hopefully. That will cost about $450.00.

I am waiting to see if that fixes it. Word to the wise, forget about FORD Dealerships. They are the worst to deal with period!

Red face '02 Explorer shift problems

I just bought an '02 Explorer about a month ago. Just today, I was in park and shifted to reverse and it just seemed to shift hard, with a loud thunk. Then, it did it again when I went to reverse to drive. Seems to shift fine when driving though. Husband went to check the tranny fluid but can't find a dipstick for the reservoir. Any suggestions? After reading this forum I'm pretty worried about what I can expect. It has 72k miles on it and am not sure when was serviced last for tranny fluid flush and such. Bought from a ford dealership so just assumed all suggested maintenance items had been taken care of. Thanks for any help you may have!

Sounds like you got a lemon like the rest of the us! Unfortunately the problems have nothing to do with maintenance. It's a manufacturing/design flaw that Ford refuses to acknowledge. I've got less than 60k on my heap and 5+ transmissions. I hope you have better luck than me!

2002 Ford Explorer

I have a problem with my 2002 Ford Explorer. I went to back up and the car would not move. The engine revved but car would not move, then there was a loud snap from the rear of the car and it moved but it was very jerky. Then I went forward and it drove terrible. I have not taken it to the dealership yet as the long weekend and the service department is not open. Any suggestions to what the problem may be?

Hi,

I have an exploer problem as well could you please tell me how to post my message on the post board so I can appear in the forum. Many Thanks, Martin, Keamcottage

Explorer PROBLEMS!

Ok, I gotta vent! A week ago my 2002 Explorer with 85,000 miles started the Overdrive flashing light dance. Turns out my transmission needs to be rebuilt, we are talking around $3000. A few months ago, my rear axle seal started leaking, that was $500 bucks. Then they my mechanic who is very astute noticed the humming from my rear. He replaced my right rear wheel bearing which fixed the noise, at a cost of $500. So this year so far, total $4000 for a car that is not abused or off roaded. I can count on one hand the amount Ive even turned on the 4 wheel drive! Man am I mad at Ford!

Same deal...78,000 miles...O/D light flashing....some herky jerky stuff from tranny and.....POOF...about $2800.00 for Aamco to do the total rebuild.

Should I expect the same thing to happen after the rebuild?

Unbelievable

My 02 Explorer is now at Aamco getting a new tranny. Same problem with the O/D light, this is ridiculous. All these problems and Ford is doing nothing? There has to be something, we as consumers can do. Look how much we paid for these vehicles. I'm seriously considering a class action lawsuit. We shouldn't have to pay for their screw ups. It's just bad business all the way around.

4x4

I have a 2002 explorer with 85k miles. We have gotten our first winter storm of the season here in the kansas city area, and I have discovered a problem. I can't get 4x4 to work. i have checked all the fuses that have anything to do with the 4x4 and it doesn't look like any of them are blown. This is not the first problem I have had with this truck, I am not a satisfied ford customer!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information