Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Registered Member

Angry heya mary

My rear end is getting noisy so instead of driving my NICE looking 2002 Eddie Bauer XLT Explorer(death trap) I am driving my 1998 Green Windstar (the Beast) but much smoother & quieter! The heater casing is cracked that is why we got the Explorer so we await our trade which is hopefully happening soon.
    The assy under that seat has ben replaced 2 times.(re: air bag light)
    This is crazy.
    Such a beautiful vehicle and so many problems!
    If I have anymore trouble i will get an attorney.
    Since the guy who sold the Exp. to us is my sons God father, Graduated with my DH, and has been a family friend forever we will try for 6 more weeks.
    For now the Exp is parked under a shade tree til it is traded.
    Thanks Mary.

Ford won't fix my 03 Eddie Bauer :(

Quote Originally Posted by DockedSunshine
    My rear end is getting noisy so instead of driving my NICE looking 2002 Eddie Bauer XLT Explorer(death trap) I am driving my 1998 Green Windstar (the Beast) but much smoother & quieter! The heater casing is cracked that is why we got the Explorer so we await our trade which is hopefully happening soon.
    The assy under that seat has ben replaced 2 times.(re: air bag light)
    This is crazy.
    Such a beautiful vehicle and so many problems!
    If I have anymore trouble i will get an attorney.
    Since the guy who sold the Exp. to us is my sons God father, Graduated with my DH, and has been a family friend forever we will try for 6 more weeks.
    For now the Exp is parked under a shade tree til it is traded.
    Thanks Mary.
    After 1 replacement and 2 trips to the dealers shop, Ford has given up and will do nothing more to fix this differrential whine/noise. I am so mad!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by markcombs
    After 1 replacement and 2 trips to the dealers shop, Ford has given up and will do nothing more to fix this differrential whine/noise. I am so mad!
    I seem to have the same problem with my 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer, bought with 24000 miles in June 2005 now has 28000 mi.
    It has been in the shop once already for drivetrain clunk. Dealer replaced
    rear axle clutch packs, which did not help original problem. Now I am getting drivetrain whining sound when lifting off throttle
    at 60-75 mph. Also when slowing (without braking) on smooth surface, drivetrain makes repetitive thumping noise as vehicle slows, sounds like vehicle is passing over expansion strips on road. Other problems replaced under warranty: Cruise control switch, drivers power seat track repair, leaky taililight assembly. Now dealer is going to replace entire rear differential. Hope this fixes it. Getting tired of having my vehicle in the shop & known by all my dealers service advisors.
    Last edited by rollin59; 10-02-2005 at 14:12.

tempower

Quote Originally Posted by rgeaste
    My 02 Explorer's transmission has just gone out at 55,000 miles. Is this problem widespread and has Ford addressed it? My current warranty status is unclear, so I need to decide whether to have it fixed.

Thanks.
    I think you handeled the situations correctly, YOU should stand fast when a mfger expected you to do His Research & Development for them.

I must provide a lettle light in favor of FORD EXPLORER 2002 (Later model).
    I purchased the above vehicle with 14.,000 miles from Enterprise Rental, by way of AAA Auto Club of So. California www.link.

I was surprised then as I am now at the quality of this vehicle, especially after all the negative press they received on the early explorer, tires and etc.

I call the phone # from AAA search to a Bakersfield, California out of the rental co., 30 minutes later I was looking over the vehicle,NICE. Sales lady insisted I drive, liked it very much, signed doc within an hour and was driving away in my near new Explorer + $10k savings in my pocket.. Now here I go 2+ years later, 130,000 mile on the baby, regular oil changes, tiles, wipers and lots of car washs.

Can you all believe that, now the 5 speed elect transmission acts up on shifting. Checked with dealer & shops but they were too busy and I wanted to tinker with an elect-transmission anyway, so I called Mike (out of the bus. transmission mechanic) his first question was how often have you serviced the tranny? Huh, never, probably about time I responded, Yaa by now you should have done-so THREE- TIMES. Since you asked, get filter etc and get under it.

A phone call produced filters (early & later), auto supply accross the hwy provided Micron-V trans-fluid. Air jack provided lift to rear, card-board mat'l over dirt provided creeper ease access beneath the vehicle, my wifes steam-table liner caught the old blackened tranny fluid in the amout of 6 1/2 quarts.

After a through wiping / patting the innered (the like I never saw in my youth as a transmission remover in Phoenix's Ideal Garage, on Grand Avenue sirca 1958), WHAT is this German-Bouch computer looking device doing in-here(?). Oh!! now I see there are several (5) or so solenoids peaking out from under the plastic bottom cover. Nearby is the filter, remover 2 screws, out it came with little ado, not much foreign material in the filter or the valve-body from where it came. I plugged the hole with heel / palms, proceede to suck & blow on the suction side of filter, no problem here plenty of passage of air either way (not much to be said about the flavoring of Micron-V tranny fluid after 130K mile).

Cleaning of the oil-pan by wiping with dry cottom rags + 1/2 cup of solvent, gave us the go sign and up went the filter, sizzezzy went the screws (with the help of my new electric inpact tool as a bonus for purchasing $600.00 duffel-bag of DeWalt tool-set), A-Ha not leaky air hoses or electrical cord about to make a nuesance for wood-be mechanics. Added three quarts of Micron-V fluid to oil-pan, lifted it into place, again sizzezzy went the screws, checked the bottom-end out to my satisfaction.

NOW came the additional fluid but without a dipstick / filler-tube (what the hell is this?), NOW comes the www.whereisthefillerpipe?.com., THAT is how I came to be on this page tonight. With a little research it became apparent the little plug with-in the center of the tranny drain was for issuing fluid into the pan. After MUCH-A-DO my nephew with drew a catsup / mustard plunger + small hose + small threaded adapter = tranny-filler. Two and a half quarts later we determined that a suffient amout of fluid was within.

Jack down, running engine, put the shift lever through the gear positions to NO ONES SATISFACTION, the vehicle SAT there not moving an inch.

Again AAA club service hauled my Explorer to Gil's Transmission for a look-see, which was, Yes Dave your correct it will not move, He removed tranny next day and is inspecting the interals as we write this................TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kathylaz
    Hi,
    I just had my overdrive light flash, and my car wouldn't shift. It was my transmission.
    It is costing $2600.00 to fix. It is a 2002 Explorer XLT with 55,000 miles on it. The transmission place said it was electrical and my pressure dropped and I don't have a 3rd gear. Keep in mind, this is an automatic. I have never heard of a transmission going out at 55,000 before. I bought the truck brand new.
    Seems like we both have the same problem. I am totally out of warranty and Ford didn't seem to care.
    I too had the same thing go out on my 2002 Explorer the transmission people said this is a common . WE Need to stick together they need to pay for there mistake ! thanks Ron

All our tranny problems are over. Get this and they will disapear.

Call:

http://levelten.com/

Ask about the new built 55R5W tranny. Can handle 800rwhp and all the jacked internal parts that cause the problems we have a fixed. $3,800 with core exchange.

Alex

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by rollin59
    I seem to have the same problem with my 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer, bought with 24000 miles in June 2005 now has 28000 mi.
    It has been in the shop once already for drivetrain clunk. Dealer replaced
    rear axle clutch packs, which did not help original problem. Now I am getting drivetrain whining sound when lifting off throttle
    at 60-75 mph. Also when slowing (without braking) on smooth surface, drivetrain makes repetitive thumping noise as vehicle slows, sounds like vehicle is passing over expansion strips on road. Other problems replaced under warranty: Cruise control switch, drivers power seat track repair, leaky taililight assembly. Now dealer is going to replace entire rear differential. Hope this fixes it. Getting tired of having my vehicle in the shop & known by all my dealers service advisors.
    Update: Still getting resonance from drivetrain at highway speeds, after rear diff and ring/pinion gears and shims replaced. Now dealer says Ford has an updated drive shaft. Well, let's try that one. Also had 30K service done. 6,000 miles to go on warranty, hope this fixes it! rollin59

overdrive light and transmission

Quote Originally Posted by carproblems
    did you ever get an answer to ur question, my explorer just hit 65000, and O/D light flashed a bit yesterday & today it wouldn't shift gears. So much for indicator lights. 2002's have no way of checking fluid levels, like the old days, from what service told me. Everytime I had my vehicle serviced, I would check invoice for the trans fluid level, it always said full. Jiffy Lube said there computer just defaults to full, but that in a sealed system, you would never lose fluid. If problem is electrical, why did it cost so much?
    I too just had the same thing happen to me. My explorer overdrive light kept blinking on and off and now my transmission is cooked. I just took it in for it's 60,000 mile service and they supposedly changed the transmission fluid this past March at 61,774 miles and now I have 68,093 miles on it. What's going on???? It had fluid but it was black. I think the transmission have problems and should be recalled.
    Myra

Angry 02 transmission and rear end

I have an '02 Explorer XLT with 85K on it. After googling for transmission problems, I am now sorry I have one. My differential has been whining for the past 30k miles, and the transmission started hesitating and clunking about 15k ago. The Ford garage here is not interested in fixing it, they want mucho $ to "look into the problem". They say there are no service bulletins on the tranny problem (won't move very well when cold, hesitates to move after fast stops, and shudders when pulling hills).
    After reading this forum and two others, I find that it seems to be a comman problem, and the Ford dealers (for the most part) have went about solving it the same way (pay mucho bucks and we will give you a fix for a few thousand more miles).
    I have had the tranny flushed and the differential seals replaced. The whine is still there and will probably remain there until I can trade this thing off. After fooling with Ford for 30 years, I'm tired of their attitude. I want to stay american, but GM is not much better. I have worked as a contractor at both companies plants in Michigan, and am less than impressed (really mad) about the attitude and work ethic of a lot of the folks up there (not all, but a lot). There are a lot of newspapers read, computers being web surfed, and tv's being watched on and around the lines. Downtime is not one of the high priorities. I am not one bit surprised that both Ford and GM are in financial trouble, and have been telling whoever would listen that they will both go donw the tubes within the next 6 to 8 years.

I'll get off my box, I'm just aggravated with this Explorer. I use my car extensively for travel to do my job (Reliability Engineer), and I really can't afford to car shop again this soon. Still owe $12K on the thing, and probably won't get that out of a trade.
    Toyota (You should compare the work ethic and attitude of these folks) is looking better and better.

Shoot.

Dave

2002 Ford Explorer O/D Flash

My transmission on my Ford Explorer went out @ 79,000 miles. Actually, it started given me problems way before the mark. When I took it in to Ford, they told me my trani didn't need replacement oil. So I ignored the signs. I wish I had sold the damn car when it was 55,000 miles. Well, don't like my Ford Dealer either so I took it to a Local repair shop that is trust worthy. He said it would cost me $2,700 for a brand new trani w/ 3 Yrs Warr or 32K miles (which ever comes 1st). What can I do? Ford will not listen to my complaints either. Since the warranty has expired, they don't care about you. All the Service people do is make you spend more needless repairs. And the Ford price to repair my trani would have been doubled what the Local repair shop is doing for me. I just hope nothing else goes wrong. As soon as this car is repaired, I'm selling it! Any buyers interested?

2002 Explorer

The transmission in my 2002 Explorer went out at 54,000. After reading all these posts about similar problems I called my Ford dealer and asked if there was a recall in it's future. I was given the Ford Customer Relationship phone number. They recorded my Explorer's vin number and said it was to keep track of problems for recall purposes. My only question was, if people don't know to call in, how is there going to be a recall? I suggest anyone who has a problem with their Explorer's transmission call this number. Maybe we can get the problem recalled. The number is 1-800-392-3673 option #4.

same thing

i have a 2002 ford explorer i purchased in october of 2004. 64,000 miles later and the transmission goes out. i have called ford, they said to take it to a dealer then call back and they will talk to me about possible financial assistance. i call BS. there are far too many problems here people. what can we do to make this issue known? anyway, i will update when i know anything, i am keeping my fingers crossed. i have been a LOYAL ford owner forever, as is my family.( this is my 2nd. ford vehicle with tranny issues) those imports, as sad as it may seem, are looking better by the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    Word to the wise!
    FORD dealers are evil peopel and they all suck I have brought my 1997 Explorer to 3 Different dealers in 2 states and lets just say I have paid $1200 for nohtign my O/D light still flashes!
    My 2002 was doing the same thing as yours...It is your celenoid pack, in the transmission, I took it to a local tranny shop. It cost me 400.00. The part alone is 200.00 from the Ford dealer. The shop owner said they know there is a problem,thats why they have them in stock !!!! Ford sucks, I'll never buy another one !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sverk
    I too just had the same thing happen to me. My explorer overdrive light kept blinking on and off and now my transmission is cooked. I just took it in for it's 60,000 mile service and they supposedly changed the transmission fluid this past March at 61,774 miles and now I have 68,093 miles on it. What's going on???? It had fluid but it was black. I think the transmission have problems and should be recalled.
    Myra
    It's the celenoid pack in the Tranny, as soon as you see the overdrive lite flashing, get it to the shop !! or you'll burn up your tranny !! That was what was wrong with mine.

Rear End Noise - 2002 Ford Explorer

Here's my story - yours sounded familiar.
    A whinning noise in the rear end - well that's too familiar. My '02 Explorer went in today (Jan. 9th) for its 4th rear end. The symptom: low whinning that increases with acceleration and decreases as car speed drops. I know it all to well - it would appear from reading message boards that some '04's are having rear end problems as well. I can tell you - this will be the last FORD I ever own!!! I purchased an extended warranty which covered the first two - the first replacement needing another replacement due to a lack of replacing defective parts when installed in my vehicle. They give you a 12000 mi. warranty on the replacement, however, everytime - you hear the whinning at between 15,000 - 18,000 miles. This last time - I heard a low whinning noise at 9000 plus miles. They told me it was a wheel bearing. After having the car checked no wheel bearing problems could be found while the noise, with continued use, grew louder. After 3 replacements - I know the sound WELL!!!!

Debra Gwathmey

[QUOTE=fid76]Here's another one... I just had my 2002 explorer in for the same rear end noise. All four bearings on the transmission were replaced - 2 were bad, and the others "could be damaged by metal flakes". Then the mechanic noticed the right rear wheel bearing was a little rough, so it was replaced. This is all at 49,000 miles with no warranty left. Now I'm just waiting to see if there will be a recall so I can get some reimbursement.

The first time (now on the 4th brand new) they replaced my rear end - this is exactly what I was told caused my rear end to go bad. Everyone said it made no sense!!![B]

Lightbulb Debra Gwathmey

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinger
    My '02, with 38K miles, is about to get its second new rear differential. They are covering under the certified used car warranty ($100 deductable). The first time it was leaking and howling at 20K and now it is just howling. They claim to have a fix for it so we will see.
    I would love to know what the fix is, as I am about to have my 4th rear end installation today.
    Thanks for the help! Has anyone considered pulling together for a "class action suit". Maybe that will help ford realize that they should have better response to their customers. As a note: I sell real estate so rack up miles a little quicker than your average person. My woes started with the rear end problems when my car was just under 2 years old (July '02 purchase date), which brings me to today, Jan. 9th, 2006 - getting ready for my 4th rear end!!!!

Drea Registered Member

Angry Explorer '02 Front Squeak

I purchased my Explorer in June 2004 and have had the same front squeak problem off and on since then. They've tried lubricating the bushings and even replaced the Right and Left Lower Control arms at a wopping $780 (luckily I had an extended warranty) and it still persists. The transmission went out in Feb 2005 with the same problem previously mentioned by others (3rd gear went out). I need a suggestion on what to do to get this squeaking problem fixed. I made the mistake of buying my Ford from a Nissan dealer so they're clueless on how to fix it. Ford's telling them that the noise is normal. Any suggestions?undefined

Quote Originally Posted by fid76
    You may have noticed in my previous post that I had the squeak problem, too. It was noticeable on driveway bumps and holes, and just bouncing down the street. Some days it was worse than others. It was fixed by replacing the front sway bar bushings for only $90.
    The rear bearing replacements that I also mentioned earlier, lasted for about 100 miles, but then a bearing gasket blew out on the differential. It was replaced for free, since it was part of the original repair. Everything seems to be OK after another 600 miles. I'm not sure how long we put up with the whining noise, but it sure is quiet now.

fix rear axle seal

How quick do you need to fix this? I just got told by the dealer mine is leaking.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by mnelson
    I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer V8 and it's recently started "whining" in the front end. It seems to be triggered when I turn the wheel 45-90 degrees in either direction. I can feel some friction while I'm turning, then the whine kicks in. After reading these posts, and learning about the problems with this car's drivetrain, I'm getting concerned although there are obvious differences between my problem and others reported.

Anyone have any similar issue with their Explorer? Thanks in advance.
    My explorer was making a whining noise coming from the engine. It turned out to be the idler pulley (really easy to replace...about 40 bucks for the part). If this doesn't solve the problem, there is probably air in the power steering fluid.

I purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer in April 05, with only 20,000 miles on it in excellent shape. This purchase was from a Ford dealership and now I have 39,000 miles.
    I noticed one day without prior indication that my tansmission was not running right.
    The automatic transmission was not shifting correctly and my O/D light was blinking and my service engine light was on. I took it immediately to a transmission shop and they put the truck on a machine, which indicated there was a internal problem with the transmission. As most of you know the fluid in the transmission should be red, but mine was the color of beer and had a burnt smell. So the tranny guy said there is a serious problem that would cost a minimum of $2,200, maximum $2,700. The tranny guy could not believe my car had only 39,000 miles on it. I should not have to pay for a new tranny when I don't even have hardly any miles on it. One thing I did learn is that this tranny needs to be serviced every 20-30,000 miles and go to a tranny specialist to have it done.
    My dealer failed to mention this and also give me a owners manual, which I had asked for numerous times. This leaves me to think it was never serviced when sold to me.

Ford Explorer 2003

Help:

This is my first time at this but I was looking for info on rear axle noise. I had it in my 1998 Ford Explorer and put 163000 miles on it. Replaced the Transmission at 113000 miles. I put on 3 sets of tires after the originals trying to achieve a quieter ride which I thought must have been tire noise. My last set was Michelins and I was assured they were the quietest tires made available at the time. After 10000 miles they were as noisey as the last set. I gave up. Then I got a 2003 in 2003 and have 60000 miles. At 55000 I put on another set of tires that are so far very quiet and a very comfortable ride and they are not Michelins. Michelins wear forever but they are noisy. Having replaced the tires and improved the comfort of driving I still have the whine in the rear end. I had the differential serviced at 60000 miles with new fluid and guess what it still whines. Is there any product or additive that contains something to quiet it down. It is very distracting while driving and with other people in the car. Makes the car sound cheap. It is a great car and much improved over earlier models. Mileage 17 in town and that's okay. durban

Quote Originally Posted by Slanter
    It's hard to be sure, but my gut feeling is it's most likely a worn ring and pinion gear. Thicker gear oil may quiet it down, but if that doesn't work it is likely someone will have to take the axle apart and have a look at the gears.

Incedently, Ford hasn't issued any technical service bulletins to their dealers telling them to reduce the fluid level in the rear axle that I have been able to confirm. On the other hand, there is a TSB out (number 01-22-3) about a buzzing sound from the transmission. Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly where a noise is coming from and there is a chance you may have that problem instead. Here's a list of what service bulletins Ford actually has sent out to their dealers about the 2002 Explorer:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/022015C0.html

Junior Member Registered Member GGLiddyGirl's Avatar

Humming tires

When you're talking about a "humming" noise do you mean that when you open your window it almost sounds like a helicopter is following you? Because that's what I experience in addition to squeaking when I drive (slowly) over speed bumps.
    GG Liddy Girl

Question 2002 Ford Explorer rear end noise

Quote Originally Posted by BP123
    I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.
    I found this quote on the site tonight.
    I found out my explorer has the same trouble. The local mechanic refers the problem to rear end shudder noise. He said there is no recall yet but that I should call Ford Service Relations to inquire about getting it fixed. They have a service alert bullention that has numerous complaints with the same problem
    My question to everyone is( has anyone had any luck getting this fixed free from the dealer ?) As luck would have it my warranty has expired.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

This weekend I traded in my wife's '02 XLT, with only 50,000 miles in which she had been treated like a baby with all servicing right on schedule. That POS had a whining differential since it had 25,000 miles, had to have both rear axle bearings replaced, differential resealed because it was leaking, and less than a month later, had to have the transmission repaired cuz it went out after blinking the O/D light. $2,000 in repairs and $2,700 in trade in value vs loan cancellation, but she'll hopefully have peace and security on her brand new '06 Pathfinder SE. A shame, considering it is a comfortable and otherwise well designed vehicle. So much for the good ole Made in the USA, pffffffffffft!!!!!!

Thread Information