Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Registered Member

Angry 2002 Ford Explorer Problem

I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    If he claimed that FORD is working on the problem... generally that means that THEY (the dealer you spoke to) doesn't know. Is it coming just from a certain tire or is it the whole rear axel? It could be a simple issue or as complicated as a shoddy diff.
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar

Differential wear?

It's hard to be sure, but my gut feeling is it's most likely a worn ring and pinion gear. Thicker gear oil may quiet it down, but if that doesn't work it is likely someone will have to take the axle apart and have a look at the gears.

Incedently, Ford hasn't issued any technical service bulletins to their dealers telling them to reduce the fluid level in the rear axle that I have been able to confirm. On the other hand, there is a TSB out (number 01-22-3) about a buzzing sound from the transmission. Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly where a noise is coming from and there is a chance you may have that problem instead. Here's a list of what service bulletins Ford actually has sent out to their dealers about the 2002 Explorer:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/022015C0.html

Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it is a worn ring and pinion would there be metal flakes in the fluid. The dealer told me that they checked it but didn't see any metal flakes so they ruled that out.

Thanks.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    It is certainly likely for ring and pinion wear to result in metal flakes in the fluid, but it doesn't happen all the time. Metal parts can sometimes wear without leaving flakes. Other things I can think of are the bearings that support the pinion gear - or possibly tire noise, but that doesn't sound likely since that is less likely to be changed by throttle position.

Lightbulb Drive train noise

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=Indigo]
    Quote Originally Posted by BP123
    I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.
    I own a 2002 Ford Explorer that was purchased in July 2001. It now has over 100K miles on it. Since July '03, this vehicle has been in the shop at least 8 times, mostly for the differential. I"t started as a noise, and over time, became increasingly more noticable. It was the pinion bearing. After it was replaced, it took the dealer 2 tries to get the pinion seal to seat. Within 2 months, it was back in the shop for the pinion bearing a second time, and again it took the dealership 2 times to get the seal to seat. I fortunately, purchashed the extended 100K mile warranty, so it was corrected by Ford.

At no time was there any mention or reference to the fluid level as being a contributing factor or solution.

In all probability, your problem is the pinion bearing.

I have a friend who bought an '04 Explorer, has less than 20 K and just had the pinion bearing replaced in his.

I hope this helps.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Word to the wise!
    FORD dealers are evil peopel and they all suck I have brought my 1997 Explorer to 3 Different dealers in 2 states and lets just say I have paid $1200 for nohtign my O/D light still flashes!

2002 Ford Explorer Junk!!!! 02 Explorer Ford

Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    Word to the wise!
    FORD dealers are evil peopel and they all suck I have brought my 1997 Explorer to 3 Different dealers in 2 states and lets just say I have paid $1200 for nohtign my O/D light still flashes!
    I have a 02 FORD EXPLORER 2002 Ford Explorer ( wifes ride ), and what a pile of dung!!! The dealer wont cover the rusting 400.00 running boards, the 1200.00 wheels that are losing the clear coat!! This is a vehicle that is maticulously wasshed & waxed!!! And it has the great vibration that is a so called " tire out of balance". Im done with Fords after 17 years!!! No more. I was going to buy a new F350 diesel for myself, not now. I will look into GMC or Dodge. I was going to keep it and buy their extended warranty ( resale value is higher ) NOT NOW!!!! Im trading asap.

Lightbulb heres your answer

I am the original owner of a 2002 Exploder. I have had my Exploder into the service department for the last 2 years regarding the noise from the differential area. Now the differential is leaking(great). After a trip to Ford today, it was recovered that Ford has issued a SSM 17560 that Ford Engineers are working on the problem. Heres what SSM 17560 reads "Some 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr/moutaineer and 2003-2004 Aviator vehicles with a 3.73 axle ratio may exhibit an axle gear whine that is above nomal noise level at cruise or during acceleration/deceleration. To service, perform normal diagnostics. If a specific root cause is not identified, be aware that engineering is currently investigating this condition via the quicker service fix process. A service procedure will be published as soon as it becomes available."

Now the problem, i'm 4,000 until my warranty runs out. I took this problem to the Service Manager here in Reno and showed him the SSM 17560 and he extended my warranty out another 3 years and 50,000 more miles only on this specific problem. So if and when Ford discovers the problem, it will be covered under warranty

I hope this helps.

.E=BP123]I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.[/QUOTE]

Cool BornToRide

I bought a used 2003 Ford explorer recently 18K (V8 3.73axle) and brought it in for service due to the rear end noise referred to in this article. I was given the same response that SSM17560 has been issued for this problem and the Service Dept would like to fix the problem properly once the proper fix is out.... Meanwhile I have to live with the howl between 80 to 95kmph. (noise is louder when pulling our trailer). I was told the fix should be in by June 2004 and to check back with the service manager at that time..... Only time will tell if this will hold true

Quote Originally Posted by bktstrong
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Exploder. I have had my Exploder into the service department for the last 2 years regarding the noise from the differential area. Now the differential is leaking(great). After a trip to Ford today, it was recovered that Ford has issued a SSM 17560 that Ford Engineers are working on the problem. Heres what SSM 17560 reads "Some 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr/moutaineer and 2003-2004 Aviator vehicles with a 3.73 axle ratio may exhibit an axle gear whine that is above nomal noise level at cruise or during acceleration/deceleration. To service, perform normal diagnostics. If a specific root cause is not identified, be aware that engineering is currently investigating this condition via the quicker service fix process. A service procedure will be published as soon as it becomes available."

Now the problem, i'm 4,000 until my warranty runs out. I took this problem to the Service Manager here in Reno and showed him the SSM 17560 and he extended my warranty out another 3 years and 50,000 more miles only on this specific problem. So if and when Ford discovers the problem, it will be covered under warranty

I hope this helps.

.E=BP123]I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.
    [/QUOTE]

Update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice that I received on this site. I took my 2002 Explorer to a different dealer and explained the problem with the rear-end noise. They drove it and told me that there was probably some wear in the rear axle. They didn't have the parts in stock but ordered a rear axle differential assembly. Maybe some others can tell their dealers to do the same. My dealer didn't even call Ford.

Hope this helps and I will let everyone know if this fix takes care of the problem.

Talking Problem Fixed

In reference to the original problem with the noise in the rear end, its been fixed. If you didn't read the post before i had to take my 2002 Explorer to a different dealer to get fixed. They replaced the rear differentil assembly part number V651-H. This took care of the noise that I was getting between 55mph - 70mph. This was all done under warranty. So if the rest of you are still having this problem I would talk to your dealer see if they can do the same.

I would also like to thank everyone agian for the help i received from this site.

2002 explorer rear end

I have a 02 Explorer also with 93000 miles on it. I have had 2 rear end rebuilds and 1 replaced rear end on tis car. I also have had the Transmision replaced at 49000 and 91000. That is not all, I also had a new drive shaft put on at 63000 miles.
    But now there is no more noise. You need to be forcefull with the Dealer and Ford, they do not want a massive recall like the old style Explorer.

2002 Explorer

Here's another one... I just had my 2002 explorer in for the same rear end noise. All four bearings on the transmission were replaced - 2 were bad, and the others "could be damaged by metal flakes". Then the mechanic noticed the right rear wheel bearing was a little rough, so it was replaced. This is all at 49,000 miles with no warranty left. Now I'm just waiting to see if there will be a recall so I can get some reimbursement. The mechanic said the lightweight alluminum transmission/differential is just a bad design. I also had the front sway bar bushings replaced, because they squeeked. At least it's quiet again.

rear end noise and transmission shift

I have had rear end noise on my 2002 ford explorer since 26000 miles.
    When driving in town, at speeds between 30-35 the transmission shifts up then down and back up with a vibration and sometimes a bang or thump. At highway speeds, the shifting is remarkably noticeable and sometimes I wonder if the transmission is overheating.
    today at the ford dealers in san diego, the told me they were ordering me a new rear end.
    I think it is time for a trade in.

2002 Explorer front bearings bad

I'm looking for some advice. I took my car into a shop I trust. I was noticing a squeak noise from the front end, but it did not appear to be related to braking. My friend is the shop manager. He put it up on the rack and looked at brakes and etc.. He stated that the problem was that the front bearings were dry. He stated that this model vehicle is supposed to have some sort of factory sealed bearings that are good for 100k or more. My Explorer has 44k. He greased the bearings and said that they will need to get replaced sometime soon if the squeaking did not stop. It has not. The Ford dealer stated this would cost $1200 to replace both bearings on each front wheel. Does this seem reasonable? Is there a warranty that I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by fid76
    Here's another one... I just had my 2002 explorer in for the same rear end noise. All four bearings on the transmission were replaced - 2 were bad, and the others "could be damaged by metal flakes". Then the mechanic noticed the right rear wheel bearing was a little rough, so it was replaced. This is all at 49,000 miles with no warranty left. Now I'm just waiting to see if there will be a recall so I can get some reimbursement. The mechanic said the lightweight alluminum transmission/differential is just a bad design. I also had the front sway bar bushings replaced, because they squeeked. At least it's quiet again.
    I have a 2003 eddie bauer explorer and i just took it into the dealership because it has a vibration in the rear end when you take off, they ordered a new rear end from ford and said this would take care of it, we will see.

Front squeak

You may have noticed in my previous post that I had the squeak problem, too. It was noticeable on driveway bumps and holes, and just bouncing down the street. Some days it was worse than others. It was fixed by replacing the front sway bar bushings for only $90.
    The rear bearing replacements that I also mentioned earlier, lasted for about 100 miles, but then a bearing gasket blew out on the differential. It was replaced for free, since it was part of the original repair. Everything seems to be OK after another 600 miles. I'm not sure how long we put up with the whining noise, but it sure is quiet now.

'02 Explorer 4x4 front-end noise

I am a first time '02 Explorer owner. When I make sharp turns while on 4X4 auto mode, I hear loud popping and whining noises comming from front-end. Two separate dealers told me that this a normal transfer case noise while the vehicle is in 4X4 mode. I got 30k miles, if this IS A PROBLEM I just want to make sure I get the problem corrected before warranty runs out. I WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS....

By the way, like most of you out there, I got my noisy rear differential replaced last month.

My ford 2002 exployer is doing the same thing your exployer is doing.humming in the rear,55-70,let off the gas humming noise gos away.today I left my exployer with the ford dealer.my exployer was put on a dianoistic machine and I was told to correct my problem with my exployer they would have to replace the rear end at a cost of $1,200.00 dollars.I have only own this exployer less than two years,it had thirty thousand miles on it when I bought it,I now have a little over sixty thousand miles on my exployer.so this tells me I have put around thirty thousand miles on my exployer and now need a new rear end,and have no waranty. not knowing what I was going to do,I walk into the managers office and introduced myself,I then explained the situation with my exployer,and at the same time he was looking at my work order and cost of the new rear end. I ask if there were any recalls concerning the rear ends of the 2002 ford exployers,and was told no. I then ask under these conditions could you help me or give any consideration in this matter? his reply was yes I will cut this bill in half and I also will talk to our ford rep, and try to get a little more off the bill. the manager also said if he gets a ford recall on the rear ends on the exployer,he will see that I get all the money Ihave put out. I just had to share this story,and hope all of you will have a little luck to

My '02, with 38K miles, is about to get its second new rear differential. They are covering under the certified used car warranty ($100 deductable). The first time it was leaking and howling at 20K and now it is just howling. They claim to have a fix for it so we will see.

Question Rear End differential whine or howl

[QUOTE=Explorer2003] I bought a used 2003 Ford explorer recently 18K (V8 3.73axle) and brought it in for service due to the rear end noise referred to in this article. I was given the same response that SSM17560 has been issued for this problem and the Service Dept would like to fix the problem properly once the proper fix is out.... Meanwhile I have to live with the howl between 80 to 95kmph. (noise is louder when pulling our trailer). I was told the fix should be in by June 2004 and to check back with the service manager at that time..... Only time will tell if this will hold true

Well it took till August and SSM17560 has mysteriously disappeared from the books. However my dealer did fix the problem by replacing the rear end with p/n V*652*G axle assembly. It would be interesting to know what p/n axle others of you have had put in as replacements. I know from another post V651-H was used but it wasn't clear which rear end ratio was used... Note that mine is the 3.73 axle assembly number.

[QUOTE=Explorer2003]
    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer2003
    I bought a used 2003 Ford explorer recently 18K (V8 3.73axle) and brought it in for service due to the rear end noise referred to in this article. I was given the same response that SSM17560 has been issued for this problem and the Service Dept would like to fix the problem properly once the proper fix is out.... Meanwhile I have to live with the howl between 80 to 95kmph. (noise is louder when pulling our trailer). I was told the fix should be in by June 2004 and to check back with the service manager at that time..... Only time will tell if this will hold true

Well it took till August and SSM17560 has mysteriously disappeared from the books. However my dealer did fix the problem by replacing the rear end with p/n V*652*G axle assembly. It would be interesting to know what p/n axle others of you have had put in as replacements. I know from another post V651-H was used but it wasn't clear which rear end ratio was used... Note that mine is the 3.73 axle assembly number.
    Explorer2003,

Are you in Canada? I am trying to purchase a 2002 Explorer XLT V8 (barely still in warranty) that seems to have the same problem, and I want the dealership to do the work before I buy (I know, good luck to me!). Did they give you any trouble over doing the work, or was it easy to get done?

Thanks,

captain00

2003 ford explorer rear axle replacement

For the record we had our rear axle "replaced" in January due to the whining noise at 50 mph + and the car broke down last Tuesday (10/26/04) and the "whole" rear axle is being replaced again (23,080 K miles). Makes you wonder if they really fix the problem!

place to complain about 2002 Explorer with a ROAR in the rear axle

we too have a 2002 Explorer with a ROAR in the rear axle. It is out of warranty but thru research haave found this website to complain: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/
    It took only 20 complaints to this website to get Ford to look into 2004 Explorer transmission problem - Lets see if we can get Ford to investigate this problem-

Scott

Thread Information