Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Junior Member Registered Member

Angry 2002 Ford Explorer Problem

I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    If he claimed that FORD is working on the problem... generally that means that THEY (the dealer you spoke to) doesn't know. Is it coming just from a certain tire or is it the whole rear axel? It could be a simple issue or as complicated as a shoddy diff.
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hoosier car doc Registered Member

hoosier car doc

I Recently Tore Into A Diff. Assy. On One And Found Carrier And Pinion Bearings Failed. Along With That The Bearing Cup On The Driver's Side Had Started Spinning In The Case. The Only Way To Know, If You Have Already Rotated Your Tires In The Noise Elimination Process, Is To Dive Into The Rear End And Explore The Problem. Make Sure While The Driveshaft Is Removed To Check For Binding U-joints

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Vibration

My Mountaineer now intermittently makes a rather loud engine compartment noise and the whole car progressively vibrates. After about 30 seconds, the noise and vibration seem to wear off, and there are no indication lights that anything is wrong. In reading the above threads, maybe it's the timing chain? I already took the car to the dealership when the car started acting up, but of course it would not make the noise when out on test ride, and the dealership did not offer any advice. The service manager himself drove the vehicle and told me basically to let the car break so they could figure out what was wrong with it. I really don't like that idea. What do other readers think?

Well, the problem was not really a problem at all. The repair shop found that 3 of the brand new tires installed were the wrong size. Like 245 75R16 instead of 245 70R16. Took it back to the tire shop and they swapped out the 3 wrong tires, noise is gone. While I had it at the repair shop, they recommended changing the rear axle gear oil to synthetic with friction modifier. Our '02 has the 3.55 limited slip rear with the towing package. Remarkably, the rear gear oil changed removed all the slow turning vibration we had! So, really now all we have a problem with is one of the rear climate control motors making a clicking noise. My buddy who is a Ford mechanic said they are pretty easy to replace, so I'll probably tackle that this weekend.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar

Differential wear?

It's hard to be sure, but my gut feeling is it's most likely a worn ring and pinion gear. Thicker gear oil may quiet it down, but if that doesn't work it is likely someone will have to take the axle apart and have a look at the gears.

Incedently, Ford hasn't issued any technical service bulletins to their dealers telling them to reduce the fluid level in the rear axle that I have been able to confirm. On the other hand, there is a TSB out (number 01-22-3) about a buzzing sound from the transmission. Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly where a noise is coming from and there is a chance you may have that problem instead. Here's a list of what service bulletins Ford actually has sent out to their dealers about the 2002 Explorer:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/022015C0.html

Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it is a worn ring and pinion would there be metal flakes in the fluid. The dealer told me that they checked it but didn't see any metal flakes so they ruled that out.

Thanks.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    It is certainly likely for ring and pinion wear to result in metal flakes in the fluid, but it doesn't happen all the time. Metal parts can sometimes wear without leaving flakes. Other things I can think of are the bearings that support the pinion gear - or possibly tire noise, but that doesn't sound likely since that is less likely to be changed by throttle position.

[QUOTE=BP123]Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it is a worn ring and pinion would there be metal flakes in the fluid. The dealer told me that they checked it but didn't see any metal flakes so they ruled that out.

Thanks.

I posted comment on this but thought I would try to reply direct. I had similar problem with my 02 Eddie Bauer 4x4. After new tires, alignment, etc. I took it to different dealership. The tech there told me that Ford had been experiencing problems with the rear end on some of their 02s. It ended up being a design problem when they went to the new body style in 02. They replaced my entire rear end and mount in Jun 04 at no cost to me. They said not all the 02's experienced this problem but enough that changed some things on the 03 model. Here is a point of contact if your dealership does nothing:

313-845-5903 Karen Jones, Ford Executive Offices

It took me a while to find this person but she works up in the headquarters.

Did you have any luck with Ford paying for the repair. I have the same problem and I am going to call karen jones. I just wanted to know what their response to you was. Thanks

[QUOTE=wdarne]
    Quote Originally Posted by BP123
    Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it is a worn ring and pinion would there be metal flakes in the fluid. The dealer told me that they checked it but didn't see any metal flakes so they ruled that out.

Thanks.

I posted comment on this but thought I would try to reply direct. I had similar problem with my 02 Eddie Bauer 4x4. After new tires, alignment, etc. I took it to different dealership. The tech there told me that Ford had been experiencing problems with the rear end on some of their 02s. It ended up being a design problem when they went to the new body style in 02. They replaced my entire rear end and mount in Jun 04 at no cost to me. They said not all the 02's experienced this problem but enough that changed some things on the 03 model. Here is a point of contact if your dealership does nothing:

313-845-5903 Karen Jones, Ford Executive Offices

It took me a while to find this person but she works up in the headquarters.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT/4 DOOR V6 problems

I too have a problem with my 2002 Ford Explorer .. my wife and I bought the SUV last June/2005 and it will be almost a year this June, unfortunately problems are starting to sprout out; i bought extra Protection plan that they offered me but at first well since this is almost brand new and it had only 57,000 miles but your instinks kick in just added protection and soon enought it pays off even though i paid $1000 extra for the extra protection of the whole SUV. it was a good decision;just to make my story short first the transmission problem and it all started just a slipping and shifting problem and so i brought in to the dealer for check up. After 3 days they said then need to rebuild the transmission due to malfunctioning of some part inside the trans..the total bill for that was $3000 and good thing i bought that protection plan.
    Now the brake lights are not lighting if your braking only the brake light from the top function properly... but the 2 lights on both sides on the bottom are not working .. Unfortunately i cant find which fuse #number should i look if the fuse are in need of changing .. [B]I read the manual and i was very dissapointed because they didnt mention what #number is the fuse for the brake light SO IF YOU KNOW WHAT NUMBER ON THE FUSE BOX KINDLY REPLY. THANKS.. also again my transmission is having a problem again and it got only almost 3 months since they rebuild my transmission but the good thing was the repair shop who service my explorer gave a warranty if just in case there is a problem after they repaired my trans. I've notice that im hearing a squicking sound inside the engine and i thought it a water pump cuz my old car had that problem and sure enought i was right. other problems are turning signals flashing too fast...the steering wheel is sluggished or kinda hard to turn , sipping trans fluid,
    If all this problems are taken care off me and my wife decided to trade this explorer for a JAPANESE VAN .. im not here to discourage people who owns ford but japanese cars are less mechanically breakdown, i will trade-in the same place were we bought the SUV and traded with japanese Van maybe Quest.. I hope everybody learned there lesson not to buy FORD as i was too .
    thanks

02 Ford Explorer Brake light are Out and where is the dip stick for Tranmission. HELP

I need help if someone can tell me where can i find the fuse of 02 Ford Explorer brake light? i guess what #number.. i would like to check if the fuse are busted . i did read the owners manual and i cant find where can i located the fuse for the brake...the 2 brake lights are not working but the brake light on the top are working.Also i cant find the dip stick for tansmission to add more Trans fluid .. thanks

Ford Doesn't Care

I have a 2002 Ford Exploder and bought it in 2002. The vehicle was taken to my local Ford dealership for tires, brakes, transmission, humming sound, and more. The Ford techs on some of the problems had no clue. The transmission in this vehicle like most other 2002 Ford Exploders has started to go bad. It has started to have trouble shifting, then it will shift hard, and now it is having trouble shifting in to reverse and other gears. My local dealership stated they charge $3000.00 to ship it out somewhere else to rebuild it and it would take two days. I have also discovered that my hatch door developed a crack on the right side, after shutting it on a cold night. I have observed several other Ford Exploders with the same problem. I am wondering if this is a common enough problem and whether it could be resolved by Ford. I guess a class action suit against Ford might get their attention! Any thoughts?

Ford Explorer 2003

Help:

This is my first time at this but I was looking for info on rear axle noise. I had it in my 1998 Ford Explorer and put 163000 miles on it. Replaced the Transmission at 113000 miles. I put on 3 sets of tires after the originals trying to achieve a quieter ride which I thought must have been tire noise. My last set was Michelins and I was assured they were the quietest tires made available at the time. After 10000 miles they were as noisey as the last set. I gave up. Then I got a 2003 in 2003 and have 60000 miles. At 55000 I put on another set of tires that are so far very quiet and a very comfortable ride and they are not Michelins. Michelins wear forever but they are noisy. Having replaced the tires and improved the comfort of driving I still have the whine in the rear end. I had the differential serviced at 60000 miles with new fluid and guess what it still whines. Is there any product or additive that contains something to quiet it down. It is very distracting while driving and with other people in the car. Makes the car sound cheap. It is a great car and much improved over earlier models. Mileage 17 in town and that's okay. durban

Quote Originally Posted by Slanter
    It's hard to be sure, but my gut feeling is it's most likely a worn ring and pinion gear. Thicker gear oil may quiet it down, but if that doesn't work it is likely someone will have to take the axle apart and have a look at the gears.

Incedently, Ford hasn't issued any technical service bulletins to their dealers telling them to reduce the fluid level in the rear axle that I have been able to confirm. On the other hand, there is a TSB out (number 01-22-3) about a buzzing sound from the transmission. Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly where a noise is coming from and there is a chance you may have that problem instead. Here's a list of what service bulletins Ford actually has sent out to their dealers about the 2002 Explorer:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/022015C0.html

Junior Member Registered Member GGLiddyGirl's Avatar

Humming tires

When you're talking about a "humming" noise do you mean that when you open your window it almost sounds like a helicopter is following you? Because that's what I experience in addition to squeaking when I drive (slowly) over speed bumps.
    GG Liddy Girl

Same noise

I had a similar noise and ignored it. Eventually, it got so bad that it felt like the rear end was sliding out from underneath me. I took it to the dealer (fortunately I had the Ford ESP) and it turned out that the axle bearings had essentially disintegrated and the axle nearly fell out. In fact the mechanic said that when he put the truck on the lift the axle nearly fell out of the differential.
    So that was fine until a year later almost to the day the same thing happened on the other side. I took it back in and lo and behold it was the bearing on the other side.
    So don't let it go too long without dealing with it.

Lightbulb Drive train noise

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=Indigo]
    Quote Originally Posted by BP123
    I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.
    I own a 2002 Ford Explorer that was purchased in July 2001. It now has over 100K miles on it. Since July '03, this vehicle has been in the shop at least 8 times, mostly for the differential. I"t started as a noise, and over time, became increasingly more noticable. It was the pinion bearing. After it was replaced, it took the dealer 2 tries to get the pinion seal to seat. Within 2 months, it was back in the shop for the pinion bearing a second time, and again it took the dealership 2 times to get the seal to seat. I fortunately, purchashed the extended 100K mile warranty, so it was corrected by Ford.

At no time was there any mention or reference to the fluid level as being a contributing factor or solution.

In all probability, your problem is the pinion bearing.

I have a friend who bought an '04 Explorer, has less than 20 K and just had the pinion bearing replaced in his.

I hope this helps.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Word to the wise!
    FORD dealers are evil peopel and they all suck I have brought my 1997 Explorer to 3 Different dealers in 2 states and lets just say I have paid $1200 for nohtign my O/D light still flashes!

2002 Ford Explorer Junk!!!! 02 Explorer Ford

Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    Word to the wise!
    FORD dealers are evil peopel and they all suck I have brought my 1997 Explorer to 3 Different dealers in 2 states and lets just say I have paid $1200 for nohtign my O/D light still flashes!
    I have a 02 FORD EXPLORER 2002 Ford Explorer ( wifes ride ), and what a pile of dung!!! The dealer wont cover the rusting 400.00 running boards, the 1200.00 wheels that are losing the clear coat!! This is a vehicle that is maticulously wasshed & waxed!!! And it has the great vibration that is a so called " tire out of balance". Im done with Fords after 17 years!!! No more. I was going to buy a new F350 diesel for myself, not now. I will look into GMC or Dodge. I was going to keep it and buy their extended warranty ( resale value is higher ) NOT NOW!!!! Im trading asap.

Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    Word to the wise!
    My 2002 was doing the same thing as yours...It is your celenoid pack, in the transmission, I took it to a local tranny shop. It cost me 400.00. The part alone is 200.00 from the Ford dealer. The shop owner said they know there is a problem,thats why they have them in stock !!!! Ford sucks, I'll never buy another one !!!!!!!!!

Lightbulb heres your answer

I am the original owner of a 2002 Exploder. I have had my Exploder into the service department for the last 2 years regarding the noise from the differential area. Now the differential is leaking(great). After a trip to Ford today, it was recovered that Ford has issued a SSM 17560 that Ford Engineers are working on the problem. Heres what SSM 17560 reads "Some 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr/moutaineer and 2003-2004 Aviator vehicles with a 3.73 axle ratio may exhibit an axle gear whine that is above nomal noise level at cruise or during acceleration/deceleration. To service, perform normal diagnostics. If a specific root cause is not identified, be aware that engineering is currently investigating this condition via the quicker service fix process. A service procedure will be published as soon as it becomes available."

Now the problem, i'm 4,000 until my warranty runs out. I took this problem to the Service Manager here in Reno and showed him the SSM 17560 and he extended my warranty out another 3 years and 50,000 more miles only on this specific problem. So if and when Ford discovers the problem, it will be covered under warranty

I hope this helps.

.E=BP123]I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.[/QUOTE]

Cool BornToRide

I bought a used 2003 Ford explorer recently 18K (V8 3.73axle) and brought it in for service due to the rear end noise referred to in this article. I was given the same response that SSM17560 has been issued for this problem and the Service Dept would like to fix the problem properly once the proper fix is out.... Meanwhile I have to live with the howl between 80 to 95kmph. (noise is louder when pulling our trailer). I was told the fix should be in by June 2004 and to check back with the service manager at that time..... Only time will tell if this will hold true

Quote Originally Posted by bktstrong
    I am the original owner of a 2002 Exploder. I have had my Exploder into the service department for the last 2 years regarding the noise from the differential area. Now the differential is leaking(great). After a trip to Ford today, it was recovered that Ford has issued a SSM 17560 that Ford Engineers are working on the problem. Heres what SSM 17560 reads "Some 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr/moutaineer and 2003-2004 Aviator vehicles with a 3.73 axle ratio may exhibit an axle gear whine that is above nomal noise level at cruise or during acceleration/deceleration. To service, perform normal diagnostics. If a specific root cause is not identified, be aware that engineering is currently investigating this condition via the quicker service fix process. A service procedure will be published as soon as it becomes available."

Now the problem, i'm 4,000 until my warranty runs out. I took this problem to the Service Manager here in Reno and showed him the SSM 17560 and he extended my warranty out another 3 years and 50,000 more miles only on this specific problem. So if and when Ford discovers the problem, it will be covered under warranty

I hope this helps.

.E=BP123]I'm looking for help from someone who might know about a problem i'm having. My 2002 explorer is making a humming noise from the rear-end berween 55-70 mph. When I let off the gas it goes away, but as soon as I step on the gas it comes back. Been to the dealer twice. First time they stated Ford knows about the problem and they are working on it. Second time they stated Ford said to lower the fluid in the rear-end, but that didn't work. Any information would be great.
    [/QUOTE]

Update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice that I received on this site. I took my 2002 Explorer to a different dealer and explained the problem with the rear-end noise. They drove it and told me that there was probably some wear in the rear axle. They didn't have the parts in stock but ordered a rear axle differential assembly. Maybe some others can tell their dealers to do the same. My dealer didn't even call Ford.

Hope this helps and I will let everyone know if this fix takes care of the problem.

Talking Problem Fixed

In reference to the original problem with the noise in the rear end, its been fixed. If you didn't read the post before i had to take my 2002 Explorer to a different dealer to get fixed. They replaced the rear differentil assembly part number V651-H. This took care of the noise that I was getting between 55mph - 70mph. This was all done under warranty. So if the rest of you are still having this problem I would talk to your dealer see if they can do the same.

I would also like to thank everyone agian for the help i received from this site.

Question Rear End differential whine or howl

[QUOTE=Explorer2003] I bought a used 2003 Ford explorer recently 18K (V8 3.73axle) and brought it in for service due to the rear end noise referred to in this article. I was given the same response that SSM17560 has been issued for this problem and the Service Dept would like to fix the problem properly once the proper fix is out.... Meanwhile I have to live with the howl between 80 to 95kmph. (noise is louder when pulling our trailer). I was told the fix should be in by June 2004 and to check back with the service manager at that time..... Only time will tell if this will hold true

Well it took till August and SSM17560 has mysteriously disappeared from the books. However my dealer did fix the problem by replacing the rear end with p/n V*652*G axle assembly. It would be interesting to know what p/n axle others of you have had put in as replacements. I know from another post V651-H was used but it wasn't clear which rear end ratio was used... Note that mine is the 3.73 axle assembly number.

Thread Information