Member Registered Member

Rockford Vs Hifonics

which makes better amps? in particular the hifonics BX2200D vs. Rf T20001BD
    also which do u think makes the best amp out of hifonics rockford MTX us acoustics and jbl?

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riz
    which makes better amps? in particular the hifonics BX2200D vs. Rf T20001BD
    also which do u think makes the best amp out of hifonics rockford MTX us acoustics and jbl?
    Better amp would probably be the RF, but the Hifonics is by far a better value. If I had the option of either, I would go for the Hifonics over the RF every time.

As for best amps, I like MTX the best. But I'm not going to speculate on which one is truely the best.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Senior Member Registered Member
    Those new RF amps are very underrated, but also very expensive. Many of those new RF amps are 50%+ underrated. If you could afford the RF, I'd say it would be a better option. All of those amp brands you listed are good for the money (except RF sometimes). Hifonics amps are pretty good for the money but IMO MTX and the new RF amps are better. JBL amps are also quite good and US Acoustics are solid. Just go with whatever suits your needs for the cheapest.
    HU: Clarion DXZ735mp
    Front Stage: JL Audio XR650-CSi
    Speaker amp: Rockford Fosgate X1
    Subs: (2) Adire Audio Tempests
    Enclosure: Ported, 6.5 cu. ft. per chamber, tuned to 32 hz
    Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate X5

Quote Originally Posted by phrozen5100
    Those new RF amps are very underrated, but also very expensive. Many of those new RF amps are 50%+ underrated. If you could afford the RF, I'd say it would be a better option. All of those amp brands you listed are good for the money (except RF sometimes). Hifonics amps are pretty good for the money but IMO MTX and the new RF amps are better. JBL amps are also quite good and US Acoustics are solid. Just go with whatever suits your needs for the cheapest.
    I wouldn't go as far as 50% underrated. 10% is a safer bet. The current RF amps are a big improvement over the amps of 5 years ago, but they're still not that good.

IMO, in terms of amp quality I would rate them MTX, RF, US Accoustics, JBL, Hifonics.

In terms of value, I would rate them Hifonics, JBL, MTX, US Accoustics, RF.

You can get a pair of MTX 1501Ds off ebay for under $800 for the pair, and strap them, and you got 3500-4000 watts right there. Thats one of the best values on the market right now, you ever notice how many SPLers use the 1501D?

Actually, yes, there are many 50%+ underrated, but the old ones were not nearly so underrated. There are some birthsheets floating around on the web, but I can't seem to find them now. IMO, with the price that those new RF amps cost, they better be underrated alot.

Actually, yes, there are many 50%+ underrated, but the old ones were not nearly so underrated. There are some birthsheets floating around on the web, but I can't seem to find them now. IMO, with the price that those new RF amps cost, they better be underrated alot.
    The old ones were overrated.

So you're saying that the 1000 watt amp really puts out 1500 watts, and the 1500 watt amp puts out 2250? That's kinda hard for me to swallow. I'll believe 5, 10, 15% tops, but not 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    The old ones were overrated.

So you're saying that the 1000 watt amp really puts out 1500 watts, and the 1500 watt amp puts out 2250? That's kinda hard for me to swallow. I'll believe 5, 10, 15% tops, but not 50%.

Yep, the new Power series is underrated significantly.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Birth sheets aren't very accurate mainly due to the testing conditions.
    Just take a look at the test voltage. Very rarely does a cars electrical system run at that voltage. So already its not putting out as much power as stated.

someone please correct me if im wrong.
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Well here is the deal birth sheets arent the most acurate testing but they arent bad either. The tested voltage is pretty realistic mostly cars wit the altentators is pumping out 14-14.5 volts. Now when u put a big load on it, the alt cant keep up voltage drops a bit and u get dimming etc. If you had a boosted alt and such yea its realistic.

They are also rating the amplifier at 1% to get those numbers when most specs are rated at .08% or so, and max power is rated at 1% which is fine. 1% isnt audible.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    Birth sheets aren't very accurate mainly due to the testing conditions.
    Just take a look at the test voltage. Very rarely does a cars electrical system run at that voltage. So already its not putting out as much power as stated.

someone please correct me if im wrong.

That amp was tested the way all CEA-2006 compliant amps are...at 14.4v and <1% THD. Sure there's hardly any cars that'll run at 14.4v with a system going. Hell, 99% of stock cars wouldn't even be able to support that amp in particular.

That amp was tested the way all CEA-2006 compliant amps are...at 14.4v and <1% THD. Sure there's hardly any cars that'll run at 14.4v with a system going. Hell, 99% of stock cars wouldn't even be able to support that amp in particular.

There is one thing in particular that really hurts that amp; the efficiency. Only 55%? That means at max draw, that amp will be pulling ~ 4000 watts (if not more) from the car's electrical system, most of that being wasted as heat. To use that amp, you SERIOUSLY need to upgrade your electrical system.

Plus, I'm not positive about this, but it sounds like those readings are done with the amp bridged. If that's the case, you'll only be getting about 700 per channel at 1 ohm. Remember, when you bridge an amp, you get 4 times the output of one channel (double for combining channels, then double for halving the resistance). I could be wrong, but that certainly sounds like what they are saying by "all channels combined"

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    There is one thing in particular that really hurts that amp; the efficiency. Only 55%? That means at max draw, that amp will be pulling ~ 4000 watts (if not more) from the car's electrical system, most of that being wasted as heat. To use that amp, you SERIOUSLY need to upgrade your electrical system.

Plus, I'm not positive about this, but it sounds like those readings are done with the amp bridged. If that's the case, you'll only be getting about 700 per channel at 1 ohm. Remember, when you bridge an amp, you get 4 times the output of one channel (double for combining channels, then double for halving the resistance). I could be wrong, but that certainly sounds like what they are saying by "all channels combined"
    Ok its 800x2 at 2 ohm, so its 1350x2 at 1 ohm and 600x2 at 4 ohms.

Yes I agree that amps efficency kind of sucks but its not as bad as some amps I know.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information