Member Registered Member

kicker vs. alpine

I am going to turn 16 real soon and i am probably going to get a '96 or newer Chevy Camaro. I am wanting to fill the trunk up with (2) 12" subs and i'm not sure what to get. my cousin has (2) 10" infinitys and while they are VERY loud inside his ranger, you can't hear them outside at all. I want a loud system with good SQ, and I also want people to hear it outside of my car. Would I be better off getting (2) 12" Kicker Comp. CVRs or (2) 12" Alpine Type Ss???

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrinker007
    I am going to turn 16 real soon and i am probably going to get a '96 or newer Chevy Camaro. I am wanting to fill the trunk up with (2) 12" subs and i'm not sure what to get. my cousin has (2) 10" infinitys and while they are VERY loud inside his ranger, you can't hear them outside at all. I want a loud system with good SQ, and I also want people to hear it outside of my car. Would I be better off getting (2) 12" Kicker Comp. CVRs or (2) 12" Alpine Type Ss???
    What plausible reason do you have for wanting your system to be heard outside the vehicle? That just screams "steal me". Not to mention the number of traffic tickets and public disturbances. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and try to keep the sound inside the vehicle.

As for which subs, I would go with the CVRs.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    What plausible reason do you have for wanting your system to be heard outside the vehicle? That just screams "steal me". Not to mention the number of traffic tickets and public disturbances. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and try to keep the sound inside the vehicle.

As for which subs, I would go with the CVRs.
    What if it was between (2) 12" Alpine type Rs and (2) Kicker Comp CVRs?? I will be using a Rockford Fosgate 500 watt mono amp.

What if it was between (2) 12" Alpine type Rs and (2) Kicker Comp CVRs?? I will be using a Rockford Fosgate 500 watt mono amp.

Well, you managed to avoid my question.

I would still take the CVRs, they are a bit more efficient. But the Type Rs will probably sound cleaner. Key to loud and clean reproduction is a good install.

Member Registered Member
    Well, you managed to avoid my question.

I would still take the CVRs, they are a bit more efficient. But the Type Rs will probably sound cleaner. Key to loud and clean reproduction is a good install.
    I avoided your question because it was a dumb question. I have my own opinion, so just because you think its stupid to have subs that can be heard outside of a vehicle, that doesn't mean I have to. I simply asked which subs could be heard easier outside of a vehicle. I didn't ask for other people's opinions on whether they would want to hear their subs outside of their vehicle or not. thank you for answering my question. would the CVRs have better SQ than the Rs? also, just a thought. how would (3) 12" Alpine type E's sound? would it be almost unbearably loud?? I could get 3 type Es for around $180

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Well guess what not to be mean or anything but punk kids who like to blast their system all day and annoy people have cuased laws to come into effect. Now people are enforcing noise restrictions etc on stereo systems. They are now giving tickets for loud vehciles and trying to create laws against loud stereos. Its because of a few bad people who have caused these laws to go into effect. I turn up my stereo responsibily and try not to annoy people. There are times when loud stereo is acceptable. And Stroker is right, people who show off there stereos and turn it up loud and annoy people have a bigger chance of there stereo being stolen.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I avoided your question because it was a dumb question. I have my own opinion, so just because you think its stupid to have subs that can be heard outside of a vehicle, that doesn't mean I have to.
    No, you don't have to think the way I do. But it's that attitude that makes it hard for people like me to enjoy the hobby I love. People with that attitude go blasting their music through residential areas at night, disturbing people. The next day, those people go complain to their local governments. Before you know it, there is a law like the one in Detroit where a sound system cannot be heard for more than 15 feet, or else it's an immediate ticket, which is not cheap (over $300). Or like whats happened in Ohio, if you "disturb the peace" more than once, your system is confiscated and destroyed, no ifs ands or buts.

I don't want that, and I don't think you do either.

Member Registered Member
    No, you don't have to think the way I do. But it's that attitude that makes it hard for people like me to enjoy the hobby I love. People with that attitude go blasting their music through residential areas at night, disturbing people. The next day, those people go complain to their local governments. Before you know it, there is a law like the one in Detroit where a sound system cannot be heard for more than 15 feet, or else it's an immediate ticket, which is not cheap (over $300). Or like whats happened in Ohio, if you "disturb the peace" more than once, your system is confiscated and destroyed, no ifs ands or buts.

I don't want that, and I don't think you do either.
    You are right about tickets and everything, and like easy, I will turn it up responsibly. I'm not going to try to piss people off. can you please tell me if you think having (3) Alpine type E's in the trunk of a Camaro with a 500 watt amp would be too loud???

Senior Member Registered Member
    ugh dont worry about them man its fun to annoy people. i used to love driving through the parking garage setting off alarms when i had 4 12"s in a big ported box. just dont be stupid at night or leave it blast at those 2 minute long lights

can you please tell me if you think having (3) Alpine type E's in the trunk of a Camaro with a 500 watt amp would be too loud???
    Too loud? What's that. Kind of sounds like a foreign concept to me. No such thing as too loud. You just gotta know when to use it.

Member Registered Member
    Too loud? What's that. Kind of sounds like a foreign concept to me. No such thing as too loud. You just gotta know when to use it.
    would 3 type Es sound good?SQ and SPL?? It would be nice because with (3) 12" subs, I won't have to worry about blowing them as easily, especially with a 500 watt amp.

would 3 type Es sound good?SQ and SPL?? It would be nice because with (3) 12" subs, I won't have to worry about blowing them as easily, especially with a 500 watt amp.
    I can't gurantee anything. But if you do the install right, they'll be fairly loud, and should sound pretty decent.

Member Registered Member
    I can't gurantee anything. But if you do the install right, they'll be fairly loud, and should sound pretty decent.
    I just remembered that I could buy (3) kicker comp. cvr 12s for the same price as (3) type Es. should I get the kickers instead or will 500 watts not be enough to power for (3) kicker 12s???

I just remembered that I could buy (3) kicker comp. cvr 12s for the same price as (3) type Es. should I get the kickers instead or will 500 watts not be enough to power for (3) kicker 12s???
    IMO, the Kickers would be better than the Alpines.

Thread Information