Junior Member Registered Member

1996 Honda Civic

My daughter has a 1996 Civic and her engine light just went on. She doesn't seem to have any problems with the car other than the light on. Any suggestions as to the cause? Thanks.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Autozone will read the codes for free, or the dealer could do it.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    The light comes on if the computer detects that a sensor is reading somewhere out of its normal range. The only way to get the information is to scan the computer - exactly how this is done varies by manufacturer and year. Sometimes it requires an expensive diagnostic tool, sometimes there's a trick with the ignition key. As Hatterasguy mentioned, Autozone is likely to be capable of reading it or providing you with information on how to read it yourself. You're also likely to need a Chilton's or Hayes manual to make sense of what the codes you get are.
    Slanter - redefining "jury rigged repair" since 1997
    '66 Dodge Dart & 2000 Ford Focus -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 97 Acura 1.6 EL had the same problem just this September on a wet and foggy day. I went to a shop that I do all my repairs and old changes. The tech read the code with his scanner and reset it. He told me it may be the sensor that went bad. And he told me if the light come up again I will probably need to change the sensor. It never did.

So my advise is, don't go to the dealer, they will charge you to scan the code.

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfThree
    My daughter has a 1996 Civic and her engine light just went on. She doesn't seem to have any problems with the car other than the light on. Any suggestions as to the cause? Thanks.

Dear Mom of Three- My son also has a 1996 Honda Civic , the check engine light has not come on yet but the transmission is starting to act up-slips at second gear, Honda told me the transmission could go this year or in 10 years. His car has 89,000 miles on it. My 2002 Honda odyssey's transmission just died at 52,000 miles. I'd go get your daughter's car checked out.

Thread Information