Junior Member Registered Member

Unhappy Do I need a new battery if I want this setup?

Hey guys I think i've decided on what I want to go with as far as a setup. I'm going to go with 2 Kicker L7 15' subs. With a Kicker 1200x1 amp to each sub. SQ isnt really as important as SPL and deep bass for the kind of music I listen to. My question I guess would be what else do I need to get to finish this project up? I'm trying not to have to get a new battery, how effective can a capacitor be? Also does anyone know if this would be easy to connect to a 2002 VW Jetta's Monsoon factory sound system? Alright well you guys have been really helpful in the past and thats why im sure someone can help me figure out what to do. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    If you upgraded the big 3, I dont think you should need a cap or a second battery.

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Here's the easiest (albeit not the cheapest) thing to do: upgrade your alternator. No need for a second battery or that useless capacitor. ;)

I'd say the big 3 is easiest (good start), then cap (although mostly ineffective), then battery (may not be enough), then alternator (last solution, will solve pretty much anything). Just try to big three for now, that should solve your problem, then try a battery. I wouldn't try a alt unless the big three and batt dont do enough.

What exactly is the big 3? And why would you put a cap in before you upgrade the alternator? The cap isn't going to help with power distribution or lighten the load on the electrical system.

~FordX

The big 3 is the wiring under the hood. When you upgrade the big 3, you usually upgrade your alternator-to-battery, battery-to-ground, and engine block-to-ground wires to 1/0. It reduces resistance in those wires, and makes the electrical system more efficient, and, for most situations, prevents the need for a cap or battery. Check CAF, they could explain it better than I.

I put the cap before the alt because it's easier, not better. Although I should have put big 3 after battery, because that can be pretty hard to do in some vehicles. With 2 1200 watt amps, a bigger alt would probably be the best bet, but he'd still have to upgrade the big 3 to offer the greater power less resistance.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Caps are worthless they are for looks. Now I would upgrade the battery if the battery voltage starts to sag, but the alt and the big 3 are def the first upgrades.

Thats my 2 cents.

Ya know, I never even thought about upgrading that portion of my wiring. I always left the OE wires alone for fear of screwing something up. But that really is a good idea. I learn something new every day. ;)

Junior Member Registered Member
    CVStroker...what is CAF . You said to check it for a better explanation about wiring the Big 3

CAF is Car Audio Forum www.caraudioforum.com There is alot of forums you can also visit to find out more about it. SI (soundillusions) www.soundillusions.net

Basically you upgrade the wire from you alt to battery, your battery to ground and engine block to ground. Basically it cuts down on resistance so it helps keep voltage sag. Also upgrading the Alt is a big improvment, better then getting another battery or a capacitor.

Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    was drawing 190 amps added a second battery and my dimming problem for the most part went away next up is an alt

Quote Originally Posted by inteva6184
    was drawing 190 amps added a second battery and my dimming problem for the most part went away next up is an alt
    Technically you didn't "fix" the problem. You came up with a temporary solution. Adding that second battery gave your system more juice to draw from, but your stock alternator won't come close to fully charging both batteries. Once that second battery dies, the dimming headlights will return. When you upgrade your alternator and associated wiring, problem solved.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Yes he fixed some dimming issues since he did have problems with current draw from the batteries, but he still wont be running at 14.4 volts, a new alt will help.

Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information