Junior Member Registered Member

FM/AM Antenna booster? Required?!

The sales guy at BestBuy told me I would "HAVE" to install an FM/AM Antenna booster/adaptor if I installed a new AIWA cd receiver. He said it would not get any radio signal without it. My stock radio picks up AM/FM just fine, but he said my stock antennae would not work with an aftermarket radio. Was he pulling my leg?

By the way, BestBuy = bad buy. Receiver: $149, adaptor mount for 1.5 DIN: $17, wiring harness: $17, antennae booster: $17. Total: $200.

Crutchfield had the same receiver for $139, plus all mounting hardware and instructions free. The website didn't mention an antenna adaptor for my car, and I assume it knows what it's talking about, but don't want to take a chance. The mounting bracket and wiring harness were automatically added to my shopping cart free. Does that really balance out the cost of free installation at Best Buy? (I'm more than happy to install myself, as long as the instructions and the hardware are all there...)

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    He may have been talking about the adapter that connects the HU input to the antenna plug. Most OEM plugs will not fit an aftermarket HU, so you need an adapter. Irregardless, as long as you can do it yourself, Crutchfield is a much better option.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Stroker's got it. The plug on the end of your factory antenna most likely is of a smaller size than the one that's supposed to go into the aftermarket deck. Hence you need an adaptor. Sometimes it has a booster in it, but more often than not it's just a longer cable with a bigger opening on the end. But the only way to find out for sure without buying it is to have the factory and aftermarket decks in hand for comparison. Either way, do not get the adapter from Best Buy. As a stand-alone, Crutchfield only charges $5 for them versus $18 at Best Buy.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Just as I thought. Now, I guess the only thing I have to worry about is whether Crutchfield included one in my order. If not, I can get one on ebay for $0.99, but it's a hassle. Hopefully when C'field says they include everything you need for installation, they mean it...

By the way, are there universal adaptors, or do they have to be vehicle specific?

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matno
    Just as I thought. Now, I guess the only thing I have to worry about is whether Crutchfield included one in my order. If not, I can get one on ebay for $0.99, but it's a hassle. Hopefully when C'field says they include everything you need for installation, they mean it...

By the way, are there universal adaptors, or do they have to be vehicle specific?
    Usually vehicle make specific. Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. use different sizes for their radio antenna plugs.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Sure am glad I went with Crutchfield. The price was more than $50 less than Best Buy, and the head unit went in just fine. The instructions could have been a little more thorough, but then, I'm pretty anal about being thorough. (May have something to do with my day job - surgery).

The stock antenna plug fit the new receiver perfectly, by the way. I guess Crutchfield knew best. Best Buy insisted that I needed an adaptor for $17. Crutchfield's free mounting bracket and free wiring harness worked beautifully too. Hard to believe this is the first time I've had a CD player in my car. (Then again, this is only my second car in 10 years).

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matno
    Sure am glad I went with Crutchfield. The price was more than $50 less than Best Buy, and the head unit went in just fine. The instructions could have been a little more thorough, but then, I'm pretty anal about being thorough. (May have something to do with my day job - surgery).

The stock antenna plug fit the new receiver perfectly, by the way. I guess Crutchfield knew best. Best Buy insisted that I needed an adaptor for $17. Crutchfield's free mounting bracket and free wiring harness worked beautifully too. Hard to believe this is the first time I've had a CD player in my car. (Then again, this is only my second car in 10 years).
    anal surgery? haha, bet that stinks.

sorry, I saw that and had to say something.

Glad you're happy.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thread Information