Thread: Simple system

Junior Member Registered Member

Simple system

I am relatively inexperienced at car audio, and I don't really need a competition-style system, but I would like something that sounds nice in my Subaru Forester. I plan on replacing the factory HU and front 6.5" speakers. I plan on disconnecting the factory tweeters up front and leaving the rear 4" stock speakers in place.

I went to a local stereo shop and listened to a variety of HUs and speakers. For the HUs, I did not like the JVC, Alpine, or Pioneer units at all. The Sony F5700 just sounded the best to me (through the same speakers in the store). But it occurs to me that the Sony brand name is somewhat looked down upon by a lot of audiophiles and I guess I just don't know why. Sony always sounded good to my ears, whether it's classical, jazz, rock, or electronica. Can someone tell me exactly why the Sony name seems to be synonymous with "cheap" and "lousy"?

Also, the speakers that I had decided on were some JBL GTO636 coaxials that just rocked. But for some reason, I can't seem to find any glowing reviews of them on the net. To be honest, I played some classical, jazz, rock (Saliva), and some NIN to test out the speakers and thought the JBLs sounded the best overall. This was compared with a bunch of other speakers in the same price range (or maybe a little lower): Sony, Infinity, Alpine, Polk, and Pioneer.

Anyways, can someone either offer me some confirmation that the Sony F5700 head unit and the JBL speakers are a decent package for the money, or possibly offer some better alternatives for the same money? I can get the HU and speakers for around $225 total online, but I suppose I wouldn't mind going up to $175 for the HU and maybe $100 or so for the speaker pair.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DrewV; 09-30-2004 at 16:51.

DIY Audio Registered Member ron.eddy's Avatar
    Can't comment on the speakers as I am not experienced with that size, but you should look into a Panasonic CD-C8400U (I think thats the model). It is an MP3 capable deck with GREAT sound quality for the dollar. You can pick one up online for 200 bucks or you can get a lesser panasonic model for 175. (8300U I think). Its got a pretty powerful builtin amp and it sounds great at all but the most extreme volume levels. I think panasonic doesn't get enough press since they really do make great HUs. Check out the features, you will love them for the price. Also search for reviews on this site. Only reason I don't have a panasonic is I chose an Eclipse deck for more money for the fractionally better sound quality... Then again, I don't use the built in HU amp.
    Ron

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Check out Clarion, they make great HU's.

Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

Hmmm. Nobody's got any other ideas?

Should I assume that I'm not that far off with my original decisions?

Sort of surprising, since people really seem to dislike Sony and I would have expected some replies by now that would explain why.

How about Kenwood speakers? I can get a pair of KFC-1689ie 3-ways for around $50. They seem to have a pretty unreal frequency response (30Hz-30kHz) and a decent sensitivity. Anything wrong with these?

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Ok here is the deal. Sony makes bellow par amplifiers that dont meet there rated output power. There speakers are overrated, and there subwoofers just suck. There cdplayers arent bad though. So basically everything suxs except the cd-player which isnt the best but isnt the worst. Rampage and such they suck.

If you are happy with the JBL speakers then get them. JBL is owned by Harman Corporation which owsn Harman Kardon, Infinity and JBL. JBL speakers arent bad and they are compeitive priced so if u like them then get them.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    yeh easy is right on that one. Personally i am not a fan of pioneer and jvc HUs, but i am an alpine fan (considering you arent counting on a lot of power, there signal rocks, there power does, i always go with the HU that dont have built in amps, so basically i have to use external amplification)

Panasonic basically makes some of the best HUs out there, but they aren't generally cheap. Clarion and eclipse also make great HUs. Sony IS looked upon greatly in the car audio world BUT their HUs arent. They generally make an average HU, even their amps are average (overrated, but average). Most of the reason why Sony is looked down in car audio is they have a consistant history of making fragile products. Their amps commonly overheat and/or blow and there headunits tend to fry, but the percentage of these arent that high, just slighly more than normal. I go to school, but i work as a technician in an audio/ car audio shop, I tend to see a little more sony and pioneer decks come in than the rest. JVC i see a little less of. I barely ever see Alpines and Pioneers, but once in a great while.

Member Registered Member
    oh yeh and for 6.5s go polk momos, kickers, or for the best value go for the rockford fosgate punchs. make sure to read the reviews on sounddomain.com (i prefer because it only shows the newer models and more people pot product reviews) or here to find out exactly which speaker models im talking about since i dont have them memorized.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasFina
    I go to school, but i work as a technician in an audio/ car audio shop, I tend to see a little more sony and pioneer decks come in than the rest. JVC i see a little less of. I barely ever see Alpines and Pioneers, but once in a great while.

oh yeh and for 6.5s go polk momos, kickers, or for the best value go for the rockford fosgate punchs. make sure to read the reviews on sounddomain.com (i prefer because it only shows the newer models and more people pot product reviews) or here to find out exactly which speaker models im talking about since i dont have them memorized.
    Ok man, not sure what you're saying with the HUs. You see more Sony and Pioneer decks come in than the rest, but you barely ever seen Alpines and Pioneers? Hmm...

Fosgate Punches are certainly not the best 6.5s for the money IMO. Give CDT CL-6Xs a try, they're some of the best coaxials for the money. You can get those CDTs for $60 or less online, and they sound very good off HU power. Polk Momos are overrated, they're decent but nothing special.

As far as those Kenwood speakers go, they're not bad for the money, but nothing special. Pay no attention to frequency response.
    HU: Clarion DXZ735mp
    Front Stage: JL Audio XR650-CSi
    Speaker amp: Rockford Fosgate X1
    Subs: (2) Adire Audio Tempests
    Enclosure: Ported, 6.5 cu. ft. per chamber, tuned to 32 hz
    Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate X5

Member Registered Member
    actually i agree with you on the CDTs my bad. I love CDT speakers they are great, i dont have much experience with the lower end of their line so i don't want to say something is good unless i know.

I actually mispoke about the decks, i didnt mean to say that i have less alpine and pioneers come in, i meant less alpines and panasonics, im a little sick from mono so im a little loopy hen it comes to typing, but ehh it happens. All im saying by seeing less of these as that with personal experience i tend to see less of certain brands and in certain models suggesting that one is more fraile in one way or another than others. True probably about 50% of the HUs i get in are dead due to the owners dumb fault, i tend to see that jvc and pioneers fry resistors more often, on sonys its usually something easily fixed like an internal fuse (on old models).

RFs line this year is pretty good, while it isnt the best for the price id say its one of the better( you even get two sperate tweeters per speaker if you wanna use it). If you say CDT has a great speaker for the price i would rather go with that. Polk momos are slightly overrated, but i have about 8 years experience in car audio and ive heard most of whats out there and this years are vastly better than past years.

But to be honest with you in my comp car which is a 2002 golf r32 i have the CDT euro comps and they are worth every cent. I am a CDT fanatic so im going to go with you on the CDT suggestion

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I have decided to spend a little more money than I originally planned. I already bought an Eclipse 3424 HU and I'm planning to get a set of the CDT CL-61As for $150, which I think is an awesome deal. I originally wanted the CL-6Xs as you mentioned for around $60, but I figure I can't pass up the comp set at the $150 price.

With all that being said, are the components really all that much better that they're worth 2 1/2 times the price of the coaxials?? Exactly how good ARE the comps? And how good are the coax's?
    Last edited by DrewV; 10-09-2004 at 03:47.

Member Registered Member
    Sounds like that should sound great, eclipse make some premium HUs. Well, comps generall have external crossovers, and serapte tweeters and sometime an additional speaker. For 2.5 the price though i dont know if its worth it unless you are planning on going all out.

It is very hard to get good imaging and a good crossover in a coaxial? Is it worth 2.5 times the price, it all depends on the person if you want your music to sound that much better. Hell people buy $5k cables thinking they sound better overkill oh yea, but they think its worth it. Personally I believe components are worth it to me, advanced crossover and usually higher power handling and a nicer tweeter are always benefits and imaging also.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    yeh i'm a fan of coponents too, but it depends how much money you got and how much you wanna spend, hell yeh i think a maybach is worth two million and id ride in it and buy it and whatever, but wait, im a financial advisor...I'll never be able to afford that without selling my house and car and myself... and even then...

If you make 30000 a year or so, is it worth forking out that much dough for the components to you? It all depends on how all out you are willing to go. If you wanna go all out get the cdt euros they rock ;)

Any yeh Easy, i know im baised but everyone is. We could argue all day about whats better, but prove nothing. Yeh you are right its not hard at all to get crossovers and tweeters for a coax speaker, but all i was saying is when you buy comps they generally come with them

No you are misunderstanding me, components come wit advanced crossovers and a tweeter where u can move it for better imaging instead of down in the door. Coaxials come wit a basic crossover and a tweeter stuck in the door yuck. Also The CDT Euros are nice but There are some better stuff out there for the money.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Components definatly have the upper hand. Mainly due to better imaging and the crossovers.
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

Thread Information