Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6

    Looking for a good sub

    I'm looking for a good spl sub that also has good sq. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    209
    What kinda price range are you looking at? I'm sure everybody could throw out their favorites but it all depends on how much you're looking to shell out.

  3. #3
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by auwerda2
    I'm looking for a good spl sub that also has good sq. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok what is your budget what is your space constraints. With this info we can better help you.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    Well, as far as space restraits go I have an entire trunk i'm willing to sacrifice, so thats not really an issue. The price range I am looking at is to not exceed $300-$350, but cheaper is always better too. What i don't want is a sub that can play loud, but sounds terrible doing so. Like i said I'm looking for spl and sq.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    376
    the kappa perfects are a little bit of both and good and cheap

  6. #6
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Pair of Shivas.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  7. #7
    Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    34
    HAHA DO NOT GET KAPPA PERFECTS! not to sound ignorant there, but ive competed with them for to long to know how big of a pain in the butt they are. They have a decent amount of cone distortion (although infinity will tell you its you amp clipping, but ive played them off of at least 30 different amps) they are a good sub no doubt about that, but when you pop the trunk they sound aweful, so when you wanna show them off you generally get laughed at. Putting them in a ported or bandpass box will fix this problem, but in a sealed box the speaker moves past its gaskets limits and makes lots of gross noises, kinda sounds like your beating a soda can with a drumstick incredibly fast. A cheaper alternative...
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2449

    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2461

    I'm running two of the subs and one of the amp (picked them up from best buy with a "hook up" so i got 4 year warranties covering blown speakers)

    anyhow i got these in my non competition vehicle (pontiac sunfire sedan (hate)) anyhow they are in two seperate custom built sealed enclosures the amp is turned up to 2/3 power (it goes up the whole way without distortion, imagine that) and im getting 130 spl. By the way these things have sq that makes me cry that i have owned so many kappa perfects before. i have tested them obviously at full power off the amp with some dust brothers. they hit 146db at dash. so i was still crying. When i decided to play slipknot cause i figures that would be a good test for accuracy without distortion all 4 of there drummers were heardloud and clear without the subs missing or slurring a beat.

    Anyhow research these babies all you want, I did about one month of good homework before purchasing these beauties. Trust me youwont be disappointed.


    p.s the shivas are nice too ;)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by MasFina
    HAHA DO NOT GET KAPPA PERFECTS! not to sound ignorant there, but ive competed with them for to long to know how big of a pain in the butt they are. They have a decent amount of cone distortion (although infinity will tell you its you amp clipping, but ive played them off of at least 30 different amps) they are a good sub no doubt about that, but when you pop the trunk they sound aweful, so when you wanna show them off you generally get laughed at. Putting them in a ported or bandpass box will fix this problem, but in a sealed box the speaker moves past its gaskets limits and makes lots of gross noises, kinda sounds like your beating a soda can with a drumstick incredibly fast. A cheaper alternative...
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2449

    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2461

    I'm running two of the subs and one of the amp (picked them up from best buy with a "hook up" so i got 4 year warranties covering blown speakers)

    anyhow i got these in my non competition vehicle (pontiac sunfire sedan (hate)) anyhow they are in two seperate custom built sealed enclosures the amp is turned up to 2/3 power (it goes up the whole way without distortion, imagine that) and im getting 130 spl. By the way these things have sq that makes me cry that i have owned so many kappa perfects before. i have tested them obviously at full power off the amp with some dust brothers. they hit 146db at dash. so i was still crying. When i decided to play slipknot cause i figures that would be a good test for accuracy without distortion all 4 of there drummers were heardloud and clear without the subs missing or slurring a beat.

    Anyhow research these babies all you want, I did about one month of good homework before purchasing these beauties. Trust me youwont be disappointed.


    p.s the shivas are nice too ;)
    I'd take Kappa Perfects over P2s any day. You don't just "put them in a ported or bandpass box" to fix problems with mechanical noise. Generally porting subs results in lower mechanical power handling, meaning more mechanical noise with the same power. Another thing, that "2/3 power" thing you mention would be your gain setting. Gain is not a volume control, so stop using it as one. No offense man, but a couple ported Shivas would dominate any P2 setup in SQL. Also, speakers don't have "gasket limits", just mechanical and thermal limits.
    HU: Clarion DXZ735mp
    Front Stage: JL Audio XR650-CSi
    Speaker amp: Rockford Fosgate X1
    Subs: (2) Adire Audio Tempests
    Enclosure: Ported, 6.5 cu. ft. per chamber, tuned to 32 hz
    Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate X5

  9. #9
    Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    34
    in terms of gasket limits im refering to the rubber gasket holding the dustcone, on certain speakers overextention depending on the cones material can result in loud mechanical noise resonating from the driver. I find it worse with the DA macdaddys and kappa perfects. And im not referring to gain, i actually have a volume setup for my amplifier. It restricts how much power is signaled to the amplifier. It would be a pain to go back in my trunk and mess with that setting seeing as my model amp has it sealed under a plate (for a reason unknown ;) ).

    If you live anywhere near wisconsin give me your number, ill prove you wrong on the kappa perfect vs stage 2s. Its quite amazing. I was surprised. I did'nt expect to get more outta the punches, but i do have one thing to say, get off my back bro. I know this stuff from owning it, fixing it, and competing with it. Stop trying to bash mycredibility if i dont use proper forum terms you know what im talking about. I tend to like to say things in a way that people who aren't electrical engineers can understand. Do you think the normal person who walks into best buy or circuit city will know gain, frequency, and whatnot. Most people know mosfet but have no idea what it is.

    Sorry if im not using car audio jargon, il start using it more often if you want me to confuse everyone who doesnt know a whole lot about car audio who comes to this forum looking for help.

  10. #10
    Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    34
    i dont mean just throw them in a ported box if they are meking too much noise, obviously they have a ower power handling capability now, but there is less stress taken off of the cone which is the common source of mechnical noise from this particular driver.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    193
    Ok, that's the surround you're talking about. The output is install dependant, I stand with my statement - Kappa Perfect > Stage 2. Not trying to bash your credibility or anything, but I've had my experience with these drivers too.
    HU: Clarion DXZ735mp
    Front Stage: JL Audio XR650-CSi
    Speaker amp: Rockford Fosgate X1
    Subs: (2) Adire Audio Tempests
    Enclosure: Ported, 6.5 cu. ft. per chamber, tuned to 32 hz
    Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate X5

  12. #12
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by MasFina
    in terms of gasket limits im refering to the rubber gasket holding the dustcone, on certain speakers overextention depending on the cones material can result in loud mechanical noise resonating from the driver. I find it worse with the DA macdaddys and kappa perfects. And im not referring to gain, i actually have a volume setup for my amplifier. It restricts how much power is signaled to the amplifier. It would be a pain to go back in my trunk and mess with that setting seeing as my model amp has it sealed under a plate (for a reason unknown ;) ).

    If you live anywhere near wisconsin give me your number, ill prove you wrong on the kappa perfect vs stage 2s. Its quite amazing. I was surprised. I did'nt expect to get more outta the punches, but i do have one thing to say, get off my back bro. I know this stuff from owning it, fixing it, and competing with it. Stop trying to bash mycredibility if i dont use proper forum terms you know what im talking about. I tend to like to say things in a way that people who aren't electrical engineers can understand. Do you think the normal person who walks into best buy or circuit city will know gain, frequency, and whatnot. Most people know mosfet but have no idea what it is.

    Sorry if im not using car audio jargon, il start using it more often if you want me to confuse everyone who doesnt know a whole lot about car audio who comes to this forum looking for help.
    Where in Wisconsin?
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  13. #13
    Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    34
    Milwaukee, you live nearby?

  14. #14
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    How about you all come over and I will put a Koda 10 vs all your 12s and blow you out of the water SQ and SPL oh yea.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  15. #15
    Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    34
    where you live? you got me all interested now.

  16. #16
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    WA, I live in 2 parts of WA Eastern part and Seattle.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  17. #17
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by MasFina
    where you live? you got me all interested now.
    I'm about 2 hours from you, 45 minutes directly west of Rockford IL.

    BTW, Easy, I'll take that bet, I'll put a 12" Brahma againt your 10" Koda, you'll beat me in SQ, but I'll hammer you in SPL, haha. BRING IT ON!!!!!!
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  18. #18
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    I'm about 2 hours from you, 45 minutes directly west of Rockford IL.

    BTW, Easy, I'll take that bet, I'll put a 12" Brahma againt your 10" Koda, you'll beat me in SQ, but I'll hammer you in SPL, haha. BRING IT ON!!!!!!
    Come on lets be realistic here, I am talking comparable woofers like the P2 and the Perfect lol. I dunno my install could whip you.. ;)
    Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. good amps?
    By FloridaRider21 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 20:14
  2. Is $150 good for an Eclipse Aluminum?
    By thanky0ujesus in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 15:12
  3. procarstereo.com any good?
    By BassKrazy808 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 10:29
  4. Focal speakers, good buy?
    By BonneMe in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:56
  5. What is a good site with free shipping?
    By WannaGoBOOMBOOM in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •