Junior Member Registered Member

Question about underpowering

I have an Autotek xs 550 watt amp and I'm looking for a sub to go with it.The 2 that I'm looking at are the Diamond Audio CM3 and the M6. The cm3 is 500 rms and the m6 is 800. The M6 is a better sub but will I get more out of it than th CM3? How many watts will I need to get full output from these subs.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adihash
    I have an Autotek xs 550 watt amp and I'm looking for a sub to go with it.The 2 that I'm looking at are the Diamond Audio CM3 and the M6. The cm3 is 500 rms and the m6 is 800. The M6 is a better sub but will I get more out of it than th CM3? How many watts will I need to get full output from these subs.
    Nothing wrong giving hte woofer less then its rms, I dont like overpowering woofers. So yea go wit the M6 if u want that woofer. There is also other woofers u can look at also besides Diamond Audio lots of other companies.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah I've been looking at others (IDQ, infinity, Crystal, RE) If you have any recomendations for an SQL sub let me know.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adihash
    Yeah I've been looking at others (IDQ, infinity, Crystal, RE) If you have any recomendations for an SQL sub let me know.
    Cant beat the tempest for the money. http://www.easy-audio.com/catalog/pr...products_id=75

Yea RE also has some nice subs.
    Thats my 2 cents.

The thing is I need a 10". I'm going to put it where the factory sub was (in a box) I was looking at the koda but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

DIY Audio Registered Member ron.eddy's Avatar

The wattage ratings on the sub mean little to tell how loud the sub will be. Look at each sub's "Sensitivity" which is defined as the amount of sound pressure (in dB) for 1 watt of power. From here, you can add 3dB to that number for every time you double the power going to it. (Add 10dB for every time you add 10 times the power).

So, if the sub has a sensitivity of 90dB at 1 watt, giving it 10 watts will get 100dB, 100 watts will get 110dB, and 1000 watts will get 110dB. Using this "Rule of Thumb" you start to get an appreciation what wattage really means and why it is so deceptive. In any case, 10dB is an apparent doubling of volume.

Note: the above figures don't represent in-car measurements, since they don't take into account the typical 18dB cabin gain attained from a car's structure.

Sorry if that explanation was a little long and off topic, I just hope it helped something from your original post.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron.eddy

The wattage ratings on the sub mean little to tell how loud the sub will be. Look at each sub's "Sensitivity" which is defined as the amount of sound pressure (in dB) for 1 watt of power. From here, you can add 3dB to that number for every time you double the power going to it. (Add 10dB for every time you add 10 times the power).

So, if the sub has a sensitivity of 90dB at 1 watt, giving it 10 watts will get 100dB, 100 watts will get 110dB, and 1000 watts will get 110dB. Using this "Rule of Thumb" you start to get an appreciation what wattage really means and why it is so deceptive. In any case, 10dB is an apparent doubling of volume.

Note: the above figures don't represent in-car measurements, since they don't take into account the typical 18dB cabin gain attained from a car's structure.

Sorry if that explanation was a little long and off topic, I just hope it helped something from your original post.

Actually, sensitivity in a subwoofer isn't that accurate. Sensitivity of a speaker is measured at 1000 hz, how many subs play at 1000 hz? Problem with that is that some subs roll off differently. For example, a Cerwin Vega Vega124 has a rated sensitivity of 94 dB 1w/1m, and Adire Brahma has a rating of 84 dB 1w/1m, both 12 in. The Vega uses a conventional single coil single gap design, the Brahma uses a single coil dual gap design. Even though the Brahma has a lower rating, it will still most likely be louder with given power, because of the different motor design. The roll off on a Brahma is more extreme than a Vega, but it still plays sub bass frequencies more efficiently.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

DIY Audio Registered Member ron.eddy's Avatar
    Good point CV.

I guess I got too caught up in proving my point about power vs. loudness.

- Ron

Thread Information