Junior Member Registered Member

Is it possible to run 4 components from a 2-channel amp?

I have 2 pairs of Diamond Audio Hex S500s compenents for front and rear, which need 150 RMS each side and have an impedence of 4 Ohms

I also have a Diamond Audio D5 600.2 2-Channel Amp, rated at 150 RMS X 2 @ 4 Ohms, 300 RMS X 2 @ 2 Ohms

What I want to know is ... is it possible to connect each pair of right and left components in parallel to this amp, showing a 2-Ohm to both channels and thus getting 300 RMS per side, (i.e. 150 RMS for each of the 4 components)?

If so, what about sound quality, will that suffer a lot, as I've heard you get a much lower THD at 2 Ohms than you do at 4 Ohms?

Please help!

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Yes you can do that. The distortion will increase somewhat, but nowhere near a level to where you could hear it. The human ear is a crappy instrument for measuring sound, it can't hear distortion until you're approaching 5-10% distortion. By bumping the amp down to 2 ohms, you're talking about a change of tenths of a percent.

My question is why do you want that much sound coming from behind you. I can't stand music coming from behind me. One pair of those speakers up front off that kind of power would be more than sufficient.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thread Information