Big JynX Registered Member

MTX vs. Kicker...

I've delt with older MTX and Kicker models before, but haven't gotten my hands on any of the new stuff, besidez some '03 12" kicker comp vr'z...but i put em in my girl'z neon...
    so i wuz specifically curious about the 15" MTX 9500'z goin up against the 15" Solo-baric L7'z...
    i took a look at the specz...given, the L7'z got the 9500 by a bit, but i mean come on!!!
    the 9500 HAS to give the L7 SOME kinda competition.
    BOTH are massive subs, and can take a butt load of watts, but one has to be able to do sumthing the other can't...(ex. better SQ, harder thump, etc...)
    I'm sure you all know...and i'd like to know...
    Big JynX
    CEO of
    GK2 Internet Productionz

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    but one has to be able to do sumthing the other can't
    Not necessarily. Unless one of them can do my laundry, I'd venture to say that neither sub has an advantage.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    mtx has more linear and mech throw has a bigger vc to handle the more power thermaly. The only thing the L7 has on it is the cone area from being square.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member

Mtx

The Mtx will sound better.....but how much are you planning on spending? the 9500 will run you a couple dollars for sure. For that money, i'd much rather save a little more and go high-end Adire,Re.

Junior Member Registered Member
    There's really not much comparison between the L7 and the 9500. The 9500 is superior in every way. It was designed to compete with JL's W7, and it does so fairly well. The 9500 is as high end as any of the other high end drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by grampi
    There's really not much comparison between the L7 and the 9500. The 9500 is superior in every way. It was designed to compete with JL's W7, and it does so fairly well. The 9500 is as high end as any of the other high end drivers.
    I beg to differ. The 9500 may be able to compete in displacement etc, but it doesnt sound like a W7 or a XXX or a Brahma. With its standard motor topology its just not the same man. A wise man once told me, this car audio shop had a W7 anda MTX 9500 on display, basically the 9500 sold the W7 because of the big difference in SQ.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    A wise man once told me
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

Member Registered Member

hahaha Easy is correct, for sure. The 9500 is much better than the L7, and the sledgehammer boxes look really cool- but it's not really comparable to a W7 or XXX or Brahma. The XBL^2 motor technology that these high end subs use make these subs sound amazing at high power. The 9500 does not incorporate this motor technology, and without it, it has no chance.

I didn't say the 9500 was as good as the W7, I said it was comparable. We do agree it's superior to the L7 though.

i would

Quote Originally Posted by JynX
    I've delt with older MTX and Kicker models before, but haven't gotten my hands on any of the new stuff, besidez some '03 12" kicker comp vr'z...but i put em in my girl'z neon...
    so i wuz specifically curious about the 15" MTX 9500'z goin up against the 15" Solo-baric L7'z...
    i took a look at the specz...given, the L7'z got the 9500 by a bit, but i mean come on!!!
    the 9500 HAS to give the L7 SOME kinda competition.
    BOTH are massive subs, and can take a butt load of watts, but one has to be able to do sumthing the other can't...(ex. better SQ, harder thump, etc...)
    I'm sure you all know...and i'd like to know...
    dude the mtx 9500 is a bunch of talk my friend talked abou how good it was going to be next to what i have thats crap he let me listen to his sub my subs are three times louder he has 1 15 inch mtx 9500 in a ported box rf power 1500db amp blablabla i have 2 15 inch l7s sealed box with a kicker kx2500 amp ok i have 2 subs and a bigger amp but on ebay stores the amp $750 2 subs with box $500 three times louder way less money same amount of box mtx=bla bla bla he has a sound proof 99 malibu i have a gtp with no sound proofing OH YES THATS WHATS UP!

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robertgtp
    dude the mtx 9500 is a bunch of talk my friend talked abou how good it was going to be next to what i have thats crap he let me listen to his sub my subs are three times louder he has 1 15 inch mtx 9500 in a ported box rf power 1500db amp blablabla i have 2 15 inch l7s sealed box with a kicker kx2500 amp ok i have 2 subs and a bigger amp but on ebay stores the amp $750 2 subs with box $500 three times louder way less money same amount of box mtx=bla bla bla he has a sound proof 99 malibu i have a gtp with no sound proofing OH YES THATS WHATS UP!

Go back in your hole.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by robertgtp
    Are you sure your subs are 3 times louder? Did you meter them. Going by ear is near impossible. Distortion can cause subs to sound louder and so does different frequencies. Also it is in the install, I can take 2 L7s and make them sound like ass and not be very loud then take some Jensens and make them hella loud. You have twice the power and twice the cone area, well maybe more if those are the squares. Thats 3 times the cone area.

You bring back a post from 2 years ago. You know I can take 2 L7 12s with 1500 watt amp and be louder then you, its all in the install... Anyway your all talk. Its easy to say I was 3 times louder then someone but having proof is another story. I have owned a Termlab, and I know what I can hit.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    what makes the 9500 so much better than a L7? personally, i dont c (hear) this big difference

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    The L7 has the potential to get a lot louder than the 9500. The 9500 has the potential to sound a lot better than the L7. The L7 is typically cheaper too.
    Last edited by CVStroker; 06-14-2006 at 18:11.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Member Registered Member
    i see i see

Member Registered Member
    ok...good matchup

Do not require high-quality and expensive radio. Play loud. High maximum power.

You can make home acoustics if you are tired in the car

It's hard to choose. Mtx I think

MTX vs Kicker

I dont know about an 82, but in an 85 the kicker would not be a good place for a speaker. On the drivers side, there is a lot of stuff behind it that would interfere.

Thread Information