Site Administrator Registered Member

Any new or upcoming cars that excite you?

I know there's a few that I'm excited about... the Ford GT (new version of the GT40) being one of them.

I like the new BMW 6 series - maybe not as much the looks, but more for what it means in terms of the 6 series heritage. I'd like to see that come back.

The Pontiac GTO is something curious. I know where the GTO comes from - the Holden Monaro (GM's Australian division) coupe. I liked the Monaro's looks better than the twin-grill Pontiac, but hey, you can't complain when GM slaps their LS1 motor in any car. It's the perfect ingredient for any fun recipe.

Also worth mentioning is the new US-spec Lotus Elise. That thing will be killing everything on the road, regardless of price range. It may be tough to get used to in terms of styling, but you can't say anything negative about its ability. It'll run a low 12-second quarter mile in stock form. Not bad for a car that was never even meant to see a drag strip.

I also like the new Evolution from Mitsu that will soon be available without some of the amentities that come on the current Evo (including that huge wing). Mitsu is going to offer a performer package without all of the fluff for those serious about the performance and not the Xenon head lamps, loud stereo and large spoiler.

I know there's more.... but I'd be here all day if I listed them all. How about you guys? What cars are you excited about?

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar

Quite a few interesting developments.

I'm definitely interested to see the American companies throw their hats into the ring for the supercar wars, even if this is one fight I'll only be able to watch from the sidelines. The Ford GT is definitely impressive. It'll be interesting to see how serious Chrysler is about the ME 4-12, as the specs look like they're gunning for the Ferrari Enzo.

I'm definitely glad to see GM bringing back rear wheel drive V8 cars. The GTO is definitely pretty impressive. Some complain it doesn't have the presence of the original - true, but put a GTO in its time period and it looked more or less like an ordinary hardtop with a few accessories.

The GM Kappa platform also seems like an interesting development. I was a bit disappointed by the Solstice's curb weight, but it's interesting that GM has rolled out a whole family of small two and four seater concept cars sharing its underpinnings. With a differential that was lifted from the CTS, I have to wonder if there's a V8 powered Kappa sitting around at GM's proving grounds testing out whether they will make a new Camaro. I'll have to see if they have enough headroom, but I might look into buying a used four seater with Kappa underpinnings some time down the road.

Of course, I may have to decide between it and a 1-Series BMW. It may not be as prestigious as their others, but this thing sounds like it may be a reincarnated 2002i. I don't have much info on this, so I'll have to wait and see.

The new Mustang certainly looks promising. It's the first time, ever, Ford has given the Mustang team the chance to put a Mustang together without it actually sharing another platform. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't go with a double wishbone front suspension, but it still looks like they've managed to deep-six the problems the outgoing model had from its '78 Fairmont underpinnings. The SN95 wasn't bad, but the new one promises to be excellent.

The Elise definitely looks like a roadgoing monster. I'll bet I will be seeing a lot of them show up at autocrosses in the near future... probably getting close to FTD.

I am a bit surprised that there haven't been more serious pocket rockets announced. Other than the Saturn Ion Red Line and its cousin the Cobalt SS, there doesn't sound like much in the low-price performance category in the pipeline. And I'm not sure if I'm all that excited about those two, as GM hadn't really done much to make performance versions of their predecessors. I don't know if these represent serious efforts or not.

Lincoln Registered Member
    The Nissan Skyline GTR for the US market should be here in a few years. It's being targeted to outperform the Porsche 911 and be less then half the price.

The next Corvette Z06 targeted at the Viper. The possible intro of the "Blue Devil", an $80-100K 625hp normally aspirated Vette targeted to outperform the Ford GT and other similar supercars.

How about a Range Rover with Jag supercharged 400hp motor. Due in 2007, I think???

Of course I have to mention the next BMW M5 and M6 with the 500+hp V10 and 7-speed SMG tranny. I have a deposit on the M5, but hate the styling and probably just buy the car and flip it for a profit or pass on it all together.

Site Administrator Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln
    The Nissan Skyline GTR for the US market should be here in a few years. It's being targeted to outperform the Porsche 911 and be less then half the price.

The next Corvette Z06 targeted at the Viper. The possible intro of the "Blue Devil", an $80-100K 625hp normally aspirated Vette targeted to outperform the Ford GT and other similar supercars.

How about a Range Rover with Jag supercharged 400hp motor. Due in 2007, I think???

Of course I have to mention the next BMW M5 and M6 with the 500+hp V10 and 7-speed SMG tranny. I have a deposit on the M5, but hate the styling and probably just buy the car and flip it for a profit or pass on it all together.
    Last thing I read about the Skyline GTR, it was put on hold - did they resurrect that project? I know they were talking V8 instead of the twin turbo 6 they've had in the past... I saw the concept for it and it looked okay, but that was the last I heard of it.

I just read this info about trying to compete with the 911 2 or 3 weeks ago in Autoweek, it also stated this version would come to the USA. I don't recall the details about the engine (if they given).

Edit: Here's the link
    http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...59188&record=2

I'm off by a little on the timing. It was in a late October 2003 issue of Autoweek
    Last edited by lincoln; 01-29-2004 at 14:55. Reason: New info

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    the GT40 is a huge turnoff for me lol. I'd love to have a Lister STORM GT tho heh... who has money so i can get one?
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi guys,
    I have to say, GM drove me away years ago with their sheer arrogance, ( WE are GM, and you WILL buy our product ), their average quality, and overall boring designs. But, I must admit that I'm hooked on that little Solstice from Pontiac! I'm even willing to overlook the fact that it'll have a semi-gutless motor in it! ( put a "6" in it guys! )
    I have a semi-modified pristine '94 Dodge Steath that's been my baby for years. I was convinced that car was going to the grave with me. But now, I'm seriously considdering selling it and picking up a little Solstice. My wife can't believe it!

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    I really like the styling of the new Corvette. Not sure how big of a performance increase it is over the previous generation, but I think the fresh look to the front is commendable. I also always keep a sharp eye out for improvements on my favorite car, the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. I've seen 2 of them around my neighborhood, and MAN that thing is awesome!

Yea Slanter... I want to see the ME Four-Twelve myself. From the looks of things, that won't just level guns at the Enzo; it'll blow the Ferrari away.
    I really dig the Ford GT, C6 Corvette, the rumoured Shelby Mustang that we may or may not see, and the latest concept Cobra from said chicken farmer.
    Pontiac's new GTO is decent; I'm a little more intrigued about how it'll look in three years (word filtering from Lutz himself is that the GTO is built off a Monaro to cut significant portions of design time down, and that it should get a more appropriate body in upcoming years) and the rumours of a Chevelle SS. And of course, the less-than-practical SSR.
    While I didn't care for it on paper, I really like Chrysler's Crossfire now that I've seen it in person, and I'm hoping that we see a more powerful verion of it someday soon.
    Also on my list: Cadillac's CTS-V. Yeah, it's still rough, but it's got potential.

Oddball O' the List: Caterham Seven Superlight R500. Sure, it's not new, but I still -really- want one.

There will be a more powerful Crossfire. It will have the AMG supercharged 3.2 from the C32/SLK32, this engine is rated at 349hp in the SLK. If it hasn't been mentioned already, the Crossfire is based on the current Mercedes SLK and shares the normally aspirated engine right now.

Toyota Supra 2005

toyota supra 2005. damn nice

other hot cars

I must say that I agree with the comment about the Ford GT, I never really have liked Domestic cars tthat much, but I must say this Ford caught my eye, due to its speed that even causes Ferrari to take a look at what us Americans are up to and I guess Lamborghini too with their venerable Gallardo coming out. I must say that the new M5 is interesting that is coming out since it is going to ge an improvement over the last one. Funny, how we thought about four or more years ago when the E34 vairaint of the M5 came out that 400 hp would never be regarded as a small number in terms of supersedans, but as the Mercedes E55 and to a lesser extent the RS6 have proved it is true that this is not a big amount of power in this league although I would still rank the M5 that was on the market until not too long ago higher than the E55 even though the E55 is up by about 70 hp, since that is not every thing the M5 is better built I think and has better handling but that's my opinion. But you know they could probably at least make the new M5 and as mentioned earlier the new 6 look like what they are: Bimmers. If you took the kidney grille off both those cars, people would have to look for the roundel to see what brand it was...

Sti

I gotta agree with what you said about the Sti, I've been following it ever since it came out in Europe, it really is an awesome car.

Cool Cars That Excite You

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I know there's a few that I'm excited about... the Ford GT (new version of the GT40) being one of them.

I like the new BMW 6 series - maybe not as much the looks, but more for what it means in terms of the 6 series heritage. I'd like to see that come back.

The Pontiac GTO is something curious. I know where the GTO comes from - the Holden Monaro (GM's Australian division) coupe. I liked the Monaro's looks better than the twin-grill Pontiac, but hey, you can't complain when GM slaps their LS1 motor in any car. It's the perfect ingredient for any fun recipe.

Also worth mentioning is the new US-spec Lotus Elise. That thing will be killing everything on the road, regardless of price range. It may be tough to get used to in terms of styling, but you can't say anything negative about its ability. It'll run a low 12-second quarter mile in stock form. Not bad for a car that was never even meant to see a drag strip.

I also like the new Evolution from Mitsu that will soon be available without some of the amentities that come on the current Evo (including that huge wing). Mitsu is going to offer a performer package without all of the fluff for those serious about the performance and not the Xenon head lamps, loud stereo and large spoiler.

I know there's more.... but I'd be here all day if I listed them all. How about you guys? What cars are you excited about?
    The Toyota Pren is got my vote because it is a electric gas combo and is suppose to get you 50 mpg gas in the city and you don't have to plug this in to charge it.Some kind of cells or battery automatically charges when you crank it.You also don't need a key to operate it basically.If the doors are locked and you have the key in your pocket it sends a signal to the lock and it unlocks,same thing with the ignition it will crank if it can get the signal from your pocket the keys in.It also has a voice activated GPS system meaning it has an onboard map and you can tell it what road your looking for.I am told when you stop the motor is so quiet you don't know it is on.It is louder when you drive.This car has a waiting list and is listed for $20.000.Lexus is also working on a hybrid that should be out later this year or early next.

There are many hybrids coming out in the near future to add to the Toyota Prius and Hinda Civic that already exist. The ones I know of are: Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX330 (probably won't be a 330, but will be the RX body style), Chevy Silverado (initially only for fleet sales), and some Ford (might be the Escape???). These are all gas/electric Hybrids, the gas motor charges the batteries. None of these excite me

Thread Information