Junior Member Registered Member

High end stereo advice needed to replace Bose crap!!!

I just got an Audi and it has the wonderful Bose Premium Sound (did you catch the sarcasm?) and now I need to replace it. I am looking at some Boston components to replace the mids and highs. I haven't really looked into car audio in a long time so I really need some help. I like my highs sharp, my mids full, and my subs low and tight. The subs can't be muddy and they have to go to at least 20 hz. Money isn't really an issue, but I would like to stay under $2,000 for all the equipment, speakers, subs, and amps. If anyone has suggestions on speakers or amplifiers it would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have 4 speakers and 4 tweeters to replace. Thanks again.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Well, if price isn't really an issue, then rip out ALL of the Blose stuff. It will make the new stuff sound so much better, and the installation will be lightyears easier.

for a new HU, Clarion is my personal favorite pick for HUs
    Speakers, I like the sound of MB Quarts speakers the best, I like a powerful tweeter. I'm pairing up a set of MBQ PSD 213s with a pair of Adire Audio Koda 6 midwoofers for my component set up front. That way I can get my punchy midbass, strong clear guitar, and crisp, clean vocals.

Focal, CDT, and JL also have good speakers.

For subs, Adire Brahma or Resonant Engineering XXX. Both are on par, if not better, with the W7, but at 3/5 the price.

As for amps, a cheap yet powerful option would be Hifonics. My personal pick for amps is MTX, they have the best balance of low cost, high output, and good reliability.

And just take out the rear speakers, no need to replace them, concentrate on a powerful front soundstage. It's your car, why should you pay a lot of money to put in speakersfor the few people that will hear them whenever they sit in your back seat?
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thanks for that!

I was thinking about not doing anything in the back because I don't have people too often in the back that are going to be listening to music. I'm just going to have to see though. By the way, I AM ripping out all of the BOSE! I hate Bose with a passion. I know there home audio really well and will rip anyone apart who's says they are even a decent speaker.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detoe
    By the way, I AM ripping out all of the BOSE! I hate Bose with a passion. I know there home audio really well and will rip anyone apart who's says they are even a decent speaker.
    Awesome. once you get it out, destroy it with extreme prejudice, and don't forget the pictures if you do

or...you could just sell it on ebay for an insane amount of money That works too...
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

Big JynX Registered Member
    hahahahaha!!!!!
    as i stated in a previous thread...I WORK AT BOSE!!!
    and i never really got a straight answer on why their car speakers suck so much...
    we JUST RECENTLY had some FORD repz come out and tell us what a "...great product..." we have and other BS...
    but i don't know anyone who's had them...
    so Detoe, or anybody else, tell me about YOUR experience with em, and why they suck azz...i'm just curious
    Big JynX
    CEO of
    GK2 Internet Productionz

Quote Originally Posted by JynX
    hahahahaha!!!!!
    and i never really got a straight answer on why their car speakers suck so much...
    we JUST RECENTLY had some FORD repz come out and tell us what a "...great product..." we have and other BS...
    so Detoe, or anybody else, tell me about YOUR experience with em, and why they suck azz...i'm just curious
    http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

This covers my position quite well.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

This covers my position quite well.

I agree with that paper on the satelite subject, but he needs to do some studying when comes to subwoofers. 15s and 18s can sound as good as 10s and 12s, foam is a superior surround materail than rubber. And I have seen very few companies that use 1.5" mdf in their enclosures, even on the pro speaker level. Most of the time they opt for baltic birch plywood if they need a high strength cabinet.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

sell Bose on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    Awesome. once you get it out, destroy it with extreme prejudice, and don't forget the pictures if you do

or...you could just sell it on ebay for an insane amount of money That works too...

Are you serious? How much do you think I could get out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by JynX
    hahahahaha!!!!!
    Well, for starters, no highs no lows must be Bose! If you compare them to you average stock speakers they are better, but not by much. They tease the human ear so the average person (95% of the population) thinks they are awesome because you can feel the bass. I listen to them and I think there is too much mid bass, which by the way is very easy to reproduce, and the highs are extremely dull. They just aren't there! When you turn up the treble (in my Audi for example) it just gets scratchy and you can never hear the really high highs. In short, they accent the frequencies that are easy to reproduce and that most people are used to hearing, which is the mids (60 Hz-15k Hz) and leave everything out that most people don't even listen for anyway. They are smart, I will give them that. But they are a bunch of f8#@ing liers too (to state it midly). Congrats on working for them though. I bet they pay pretty good money.

Quote Originally Posted by Detoe
    Are you serious? How much do you think I could get out of it?

hmm..well..that depends on how dumb interested buyers are
    and how well you advertise it.
    Seriously though, I doubt you would get a ton of money for em, but anything is better than nothing. And who knows...maybe you'll get lucky and get a really dumb, rich buyer

Thread Information