Junior Member Registered Member

Sub addon to Monsoon 200W system

Hello, well after a little research and all, I finally decided on an upgrade and had it installed yesterday. This is what I went with:

Wiring: Rockford 8 Guage - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcom...e.asp?key=1564

Cap: Lightning Audio B10-03 - http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/p...asp?prodID=151

Amp: JBL 72.2 - http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...er=GTS&cat=AMP

Enclosure: Q-Logic Ported hatchback Enclosure - http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/products/q...productID=7193

Sub: Rockford Fosgate 12" Series 2 - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Subwoofers

Any opinions? It just fills out the whole system. I already had an upgraded 200 Watt factory Monsoon system, 8 speakers, MP3 player and all but just wanted to add some bass, and this has really added it.

I just have a few questions though. My amp has been wired up for bridged mono operation, so does that mean the mono/stereo setting should be set on mono. When I brought it home, it was on stereo, but I changed it. I also have the X-Over mode switch set to "LP." There are also other settings on the amp like "bass boost," "X-Over," and "Input Level" (all turn switches with a screwdriver). I guess these need to be tweaked since while listening on my first drive, it seems as the amp is not really cutting out, but it will pump out a ton of bass, then not at much, then back up again and so on (fluctuates a lot). I played with the settings a little and it seems to be pretty stable now. But I want to know what order should I set these settings and all to get the maximum performance. If you could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Hello, well after a little research and all, I finally decided on an upgrade and had it installed yesterday. This is what I went with:

Wiring: Rockford 8 Guage - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ezcom...e.asp?key=1564

Cap: Lightning Audio B10-03 - http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/p...asp?prodID=151

Amp: JBL 72.2 - http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...er=GTS&cat=AMP

Enclosure: Q-Logic Ported hatchback Enclosure - http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/products/q...productID=7193

Sub: Rockford Fosgate 12" Series 2 - http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...h%20Subwoofers

Any opinions? It just fills out the whole system. I already had an upgraded 200 Watt factory Monsoon system, 8 speakers, MP3 player and all but just wanted to add some bass, and this has really added it.

I just have a few questions though. My amp has been wired up for bridged mono operation, so does that mean the mono/stereo setting should be set on mono. When I brought it home, it was on stereo, but I changed it. I also have the X-Over mode switch set to "LP." There are also other settings on the amp like "bass boost," "X-Over," and "Input Level" (all turn switches with a screwdriver). I guess these need to be tweaked since while listening on my first drive, it seems as the amp is not really cutting out, but it will pump out a ton of bass, then not at much, then back up again and so on (fluctuates a lot). I played with the settings a little and it seems to be pretty stable now. But I want to know what order should I set these settings and all to get the maximum performance. If you could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

The cap is definatly not needed. bridged mono means you combine the 2 channels for one channel with double the power (usually). The crossover mode switch is LP (low pass--only bass gets to the sub) and HP (high pass - only high freqs get to the sub) and off-where all the freq's get amplified. The bass boast raises bass by so many decibles. and input level is a gain--a sensitivity of some sort--basically it will make your bass get louder or softer.

play around with it and get it the way you like it.

Hess.

Well I wasn't sure about the cap at the start, but I heard more that I should have it then not have it. Plus, I figured I'd purchase it just in case, or if I plan on upgrading in the future it's already there for me.

I will play with the settings. But around what volume should they be set at? Where I will plan to listen to most of my music, at a low volume or at a very high volume. And, one more thing... which way should the sub face, the rear of the car or towards the cabin. I've tried both positions and it doesn't seem to sound any different either way.

Thanks for your help!

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Well I wasn't sure about the cap at the start, but I heard more that I should have it then not have it. Plus, I figured I'd purchase it just in case, or if I plan on upgrading in the future it's already there for me.

I will play with the settings. But around what volume should they be set at? Where I will plan to listen to most of my music, at a low volume or at a very high volume. And, one more thing... which way should the sub face, the rear of the car or towards the cabin. I've tried both positions and it doesn't seem to sound any different either way.

Thanks for your help!
    The "Input Level" switch is called the gain. It determines how strong the signal coming into the amp gets increased or amplified. Here's how to properly calibrate it for your system:

-With the amp gain turned all the way down and a CD playing, set your radio volume knob to 85% of maximum. If you don't have a digital volume readout, set the volume to a little higher than you would ever listen to, or until you hear speaker distortion, whichever comes first.
    -Now slowly turn the gain on the amplifier up until you hear distortion from the subwoofer. Back the gain off just a little bit, and you're good to go.

As far as firing positions for your sub, it really makes no difference which way it faces, as long as there is adequate clearance in front of the sub.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    The "Input Level" switch is called the gain. It determines how strong the signal coming into the amp gets increased or amplified. Here's how to properly calibrate it for your system:

-With the amp gain turned all the way down and a CD playing, set your radio volume knob to 85% of maximum. If you don't have a digital volume readout, set the volume to a little higher than you would ever listen to, or until you hear speaker distortion, whichever comes first.
    -Now slowly turn the gain on the amplifier up until you hear distortion from the subwoofer. Back the gain off just a little bit, and you're good to go.

As far as firing positions for your sub, it really makes no difference which way it faces, as long as there is adequate clearance in front of the sub.

~FordX
    Thanks, now I know the proper way to set the "Input level" with my system. That makes a lot of sense. However, what are the "bass boost," "X-Over" turn settings for? And since my sub is hooked up in bridged mono, +ve from one speaker output and -ve from the other, the setting should be "mono" and not "stereo" like it was when I brought it home right?

../CRS

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Thanks, now I know the proper way to set the "Input level" with my system. That makes a lot of sense. However, what are the "bass boost," "X-Over" turn settings for? And since my sub is hooked up in bridged mono, +ve from one speaker output and -ve from the other, the setting should be "mono" and not "stereo" like it was when I brought it home right?

../CRS
    Bass boost does exactly what it says it does, boosts selective bass frequencies. The crossover (X-Over) setting varies the frequency of the low-pass filter. Generally, this is set at 100Hz for decent sound. And yes, I'd set the switch should be set to mono, not stereo. My advice is play with the bass boost and crossover settings until you get the sound that is best for you. Just be mindful of distortion and overdriving your system. ;)

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    Bass boost does exactly what it says it does, boosts selective bass frequencies. The crossover (X-Over) setting varies the frequency of the low-pass filter. Generally, this is set at 100Hz for decent sound. And yes, I'd set the switch should be set to mono, not stereo. My advice is play with the bass boost and crossover settings until you get the sound that is best for you. Just be mindful of distortion and overdriving your system. ;)

~FordX
    Awesome thanks. So I'll set this all up around 85% volume like you said. I do have digital readout on the stock stereo, to that's not hard to do!

Senior Member Registered Member
    Are you sure that enclosure is ported? Because on the link you gave us it doesn't look like it is. I mainly noticed this because the recommended size sealed for that sub is .85 or something cubes where the box had an internal of 1.25 cubes. This could be a reason for the sub acting up and not sounding quite right, however it also could be because whoever installed the system didn't adjust any of the controls on the amp, in which case it looks like you're well on your way to doing that yourself so good luck

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Awesome thanks. So I'll set this all up around 85% volume like you said. I do have digital readout on the stock stereo, to that's not hard to do!
    Instead of using music, use a sine wave, generally a 45 hz sine wave is best for setting a subwoofer.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by Calinada
    Are you sure that enclosure is ported? Because on the link you gave us it doesn't look like it is. I mainly noticed this because the recommended size sealed for that sub is .85 or something cubes where the box had an internal of 1.25 cubes. This could be a reason for the sub acting up and not sounding quite right, however it also could be because whoever installed the system didn't adjust any of the controls on the amp, in which case it looks like you're well on your way to doing that yourself so good luck
    Yes I'm positive it's ported! It doesn't show a port on the web, but I think that might be the Series1 picture, and not that of the series two. If you don't believe me, here is the actualy text from the Installation Guide "Sealed or Ported ?
    This enclosure is currently configured as a sealed enclosure. If the driver manufacture
    suggests using a ported enclosure refer to the back for instructions on porting and tuning
    charts."

I have ported the enclosure as I like the sound of a ported box much better than a sealed box.

I'm pretty sure the installation guy didn't change any settings, that is why I was asking how is the best way, which order and how I should be doing this. The sub sounds good, it's just that it was 'cutting out' per se at both really low and high volume. I think it has to do with the settings because after I fooled around with them, it doesn't do that anymore. I was just inquiring as to how I would go about getting the best settings and the max performance out of my sub and amp.

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Instead of using music, use a sine wave, generally a 45 hz sine wave is best for setting a subwoofer.
    Cool, because I have downloaded some bass track mp3's to play with to test out my sub. I never heard them sound so good until now, the bass in those tracks are do deep, you can literally 'feel' the bass in your chest and i love the vibes on the seat!

I have a track that plays a constant 45Hz cycle, so I'll just put it on repeat and test with that. I also have tracks that play a constant 30Hz, 40Hz, 85Hz, 90Hz and 100Hz. I guess using these bass tests and tracks I downloded would be best to use to set the sub. They give a constant bass pounding that most music won't do on a constant basis.

Thanks agian! Help much appreciated.

Thread Information