Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Junior Member Registered Member

Thumbs down Add me

I'm a new member... Just wanted to be added to the "me too" list. I have a 2000 GC that I bought new. Had the brake problems at less than 2000 miles. They replaced the rotors and pads. What a joke!!!! I have since replaced the following myself: rotors twice and the calipers last year. It's back again. This time I get the steering wheel shake intermittently out of the blue. Sometimes it drives like a caddy and sometimes with the shake and brake pulsating, it drives like shi*. In addition, my hatch and rear passenger door locks chirp and do not lock. I have to manually push the lever after remote locking the rest of the doors. Just had the tires rotated and front end aligned today then I replaced the rear pads. Looks like I/we have two options; replace the rotors with heavy duty vented along with the new larger calipers and ceramic pads or try the new calipers and rotors that the front end guy at NTB clued me on today. He said there was a TMS? which states that the dealership now has larger calipers and different rotors to correct our issues. Seems to me that chrysler should be paying for this!!!!!!!!! I love my jeep but will not buy another one.........

Unhappy 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4x4

Hi i am new to this forum.But,about a month ago my jeep started spitting,sputtering,and back firing under hood.Well, i let it sit for awhile,and then it started right up drove fine for 2 wks.then started its crap all over.Took to mech.he put fuel pump in it.Well had it back for a wk. and started same stuff all over.Now it is doing that,plus it had some kind of fluid pour out and smoke come out back and didn't want to move.Well i let it sit and then got in it drove it home it was fine.Well,husband drove to work and on his way home didn't want to shift and if it a bump it would shake like crazy until you press on brake to slow down then would quit shaking.But,when you put in drive it doesn't want to move it whines.NEED HEIP!!!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 2002

I am researching my daughter's transmission problems with this car. She just had a reputable transmission shop totally rebuild the transmission and replace the sensor. And she is still have the same problem with slipping transmission when it gets hot. She seems then only to be able to drive it in lowest gear.
    And the break problems!! She has had trouble with warped roters ever since she had the car!T This is her second jeep and the old one never gave her these problems. So she still owes $5K on this car and is thinking about trading it in for something else...NOT A JEEP!
    Does anyone have a customer service number for her to call or know of a class action suit she can be part of??
    Thanks, Linda

Since it was brought up, I also have to say that my back passenger door does not lock whenever I go to use the keyless entry. I have to do it myself.

Cool 1994 Jeep grand cherokee

I bought a 1994 jgc laredo about 4 years ago amazingly still have it .. it had 88,000 miles on it now 144,000 and been in the shop more then I want to count .I worked for a parts store and completly rebuilt the front end so far the brakes went at least 3 time rotors and all the b.s. that comes with that caliper locked up one day .i have had the motor rebuilt the trans rebuilt twice a new fuel pump the catalytic converter muffler the exaust manifold replaced but n.c. the engine mounts a front u joint the radiator and to the all the other people who got this so called vehicle the clunking noise while turning into a parking spot or just a tight turn is the viscous coupler it is a kind of expensive part to replace and it happens when you been driving it for a while.

Since this jeep is full time 4 wheel drive i guess theses parts are always moving .
    the a/c must be leakin because i charged the system last year and it dont work now
    people say get rid of that thing !!!! well i wish i could but i have too much money into it
    now i cannot afford a car payment now espcially for some piece of tin that i dont like
    i am 6'5 " so i need something that i can fit in

Unhappy Similar problems

Quote Originally Posted by captbob
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee that suddenly decided not to start. It was running fine, was shut down, and now will turn over but not start. I have no check engine light and can not get the car to do the self test. I do the turn the ignition on, off, on, off, on, off, on, and never see the check engine light. The check engine light does not come on with all the other lights when the key is turned to on at any time.
    The guages also indicate no fuel when it should have about a half tank and it shows no battery voltage, even with a start booster hooked up to the battery. I have swapped the fuel pump and auto shut down relays with known working ones. All the fuses I can find are visually check good. Does anyone have any ideas?
    I have a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, V8 engine, 4wd. bought it in Feb. I love it, well until it started giving me some problems. I didn't have a problem with it for about two weeks after I got it and then it started cutting off, and idling very rough. It sounded as if it was going to cut off at any moment. I got a check engine light, slapped the code reader on it and came up with an O2 sensor and a misfire reading, changed the O2 sensor and it ran fine for a few more weeks. Then one day it cut off right as I was pulling into my driveway. I kind of just coasted it into the driveway. Thank you Jesus it didn't do it before that. Anywho, I tried to crank it back up and it cranked but shut off right after I cranked it. I tried it again, same thing. The third time I put my foot to the gas for a few minutes, but it shut off seconds after I let the gas off. I finally had to tow it to the shop. They said it was my battery terminal. Two weeks later, it started the same crap again. I took it to a different shop and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and they kept it for five days. He thinks it is the alarm. He said another girl had a similar problem with her Pontiac Grand Prix. He said that the frequency used in a keyless entry circulates so many times that they somehow hone into the same frequency or something like that. He said that if I had someone that used a keyless entry living by me, that could be what did it. It didn't make any sense to me, and somehow the Jeep thinks someone is trying to steal it so it won't stay cranked. He told me to keep the driver's side door unlocked and see if I have a problem after a few weeks. I've kept it unlocked and so far I haven't had any problems with it staying cranked. I know of a few other people who have had similar problems with their alarms, not with the Jeep though.I'm pretty skeptical about the whole frequency thing, so if anyone has a suggestion please fire away. I'd really appreciate it.

Angry I have the same exact car!

I have the same EXACT problems!!! It's a 2001 as well. Unfortunately my warranty has expired and no one wants to purchase an SUV right now...especially a defected one. Last year I think I spent over 4000.00 in just repairs, that's including a new engine! I don't know what to do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsc
    I have a 2001 Jeep Gr Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I have had nothing but problems with it. At approx 12k miles the rotors warped and needed machining. At 20k the rotors needed it again. (The dealer told me this was normal for the JGC). At 26k miles, had to replace all 4 rotors and all pads. At 40k miles, the transmission started slipping and after 2 weeks of the dealer trying to repair it (under warranty) they finally ordered a totally new one and replaced it. At the same time, the seals in the rear axle had to be replaced on both sides. Now, it has 55k miles and had to take it back to shop because the tail lights keep blowing out and it has a bad vibration while in gear coming from the rear end. Dealer told me that the vibration is from a broken rubber "boot" on an exhaust hanger/support. They also told me that I had a right front shock and a left rear shock that were both leaking and need replacing. Dealer also advised that the serpentine belt was cracked and in need of replacement as well. I know what you're thinking, hard off road driving. Wrong. This vehicle had never even been off of paved roads accept to drive through my front yard on occasion. Has any one out there had similar problems or do you have any suggestions other than unload this lemon on someone else?

Well, now my passenger door in the front is beginning to not lock with my keyless entry. :l

Quote Originally Posted by littlebiggy3

I have a 1994 Jeep GC Laredo V8 5.4L and have experienced loud clunking noises coming from both the front and back end while turning. It seems to be worse once the car has been driven at highway speed for 20 min or more. I'm not sure what this noise could possibly be, but I not only hear the noise, but feel the car sort of pull or chug while turning. I have had two mechanics tell me that this is normal for 4x4 vehicles; I personally have never driven one before so do not know. I do realize that my Jeep is all time 4x4, but this noise and motion that the car makes when turning does not feel like something that could be normal. I was just wondering if it is, and if it is not a common occurence, then what it could be.
    Check that your tire wear and tire pressure is consistent front to back. I have a 98 and the full time 4wd was leaping/humping around corners and that was the problem -- my front tires had about 6 PSI less than my back tires. I evened them out and it went away immediately.

Jeeps Good, about to buy another one...

I hear a lot of complaints about the Jeeps here but I bought a used one in 2000 and it has never left me stranded, and I am not easy on cars. It has problems but nothing major, but what can you expect for 170,000 miles? I am about to buy another one that has 225,000 miles and still running strong. I guess I could go buy a new hummer for 40 grand and not have any problems... for a couple years at least... ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by ftmyersguy
    Hello fellow GC owners. The problem we have with our brakes are not warped rotors but unevenly worn rotors. Caused by , get this, defective and/or poorly designed calipers! Which is why replacing your rotors only helps for a short while, then you do it again...and again. The comment that dealers say that they are undersized is crap. Though going larger wouldn't be such a bad idea. The truth is found in the Chrysler bulletin for GC's years 1999-2001. If you do a search on TSB 05-003-02 Revision A you'll find that every Jeep dealer in the world has access to this problem. There is no reason they can't figure this out. I just had my brakes done YESTERDAY! I had to tell them of the bulletin. And I had to make them change out the calipers. They kept telling me they were fine. Maybe they were, but the safety of my son is more important than the $254 for the caliper kit recommended by Jeep. That's for both calipers, pads and various crap they need. Of course I had to shell out $69/rotor as well.
    I find it disturbing that a guy with little auto body part mechanical experience has to explain these things to Jeep mechanics. I find it MORE disturbing that a brake problem only gets a bulletin and not a warranty recall. Aren't brakes vital to the safety of their customers?Please do yourself a favor and Goggle that bulletin number. Print it and carefully insert it into the next Jeep Service Advisor that comes back to you with, " It's normal for rotors to warp every 15,000 miles" If thats the case why have I never replaced rotors in any other car/truck I've owned in the last 20 years?
    Read this thread just now.... Yes it is vital to the safety of customers.. But brakes are the ones that are easily worn off. Unless there is a defect on the brakes, then that will be considered under the warranty

I have a 1999 JGC Laredo. The driver side rear window is stuck down. For some reason it goes down, but won't come back up. I've replaced the regulator and the motor, but it did the exact same thing as soon as I plugged it back in, It goes down, but won't go back up. Seems like it has to be an electrical issue because neither the switch on that door nor the drivers switch can make it go back up. So it isn't the switches. Just wondering if anyone had some ideas.

a JEEP thing

You said bang on. I've owned all kinds of vehicle,and my Jeeps have been the best of the bunch. All vehicle will break down cause they vehicles. My wive has a '95 GCltd., I sold my '94 Cherokee to buy a p/u, and realized I much prefered my Jeep, so,,, I bought another Jeep, a 96 GCL. Yes it has a few issues like the rear wiper doesn't work, and it has a gremlin in the interior lights(go on and off on their own when jeep warmed up, but it's still better than most other vehicle I've owned, including my Cadillac, which is parked cause it's winter. 212thousand kilometers on my Jeep, 247000 on my wife's Jeep, and my son and his wife just bought a '97 Grand Cherokee Lerado today and we love them all Especially my old '94. Oil changes and maintenance, maintenance maintenance. We look at Jeep and figure they are just broken in if they are under 300000 kilometers
    Quote Originally Posted by MazzMan
    I need to say something. I happened upon this post while checking out issues with window regulators. I have a Jeep GC Overland and my front window regulator went out, even though it is a couple years old it was covered under warranty. I have also had some other problems that could have expensive, mostly in labor costs, but these were also covered under warranty. I just want to say that you will find forums like this on every vehicle currently in production-guaranteed. I am not a dealer, mechanic or salesman. I just love Jeeps. I had a 96 ZJ and loved it. Yea there were problems but I drove the thing until 200,000 miles. Come on who can say that about any current american made car. I was also a cop and this vehicle was set up as an umarked patrol car. I am hard enough on my vehicles, but nothing is harder on a vehicle than putting it thorugh its paces as cruiser. High speeds, constant idleing, start/stop, quick acceleration, off-road, high speed off-road, quick stopping, evasive driving...you name it, it was done. On normal highway travels I averaged about 22 mpg and on my overland with the mighty V-8 High Output I averaged 24mpg/Hwy on my trip back to MA.

Ok so you have problems. The brakes were a major issue that thankfully Jeep took care of. Should I remind you of the Firestone/Ford incident? As a cop I am aware of more problems and fatalities crediited to this problem (firestone) and am not aware of any, at least that we ran across, credited specifically to Jeep. They fixed the problem and took responsibility for the problem. Seriously though...brake issues like most described...I use the saying, "Fool me once....." you know the rest. Three times of having your rotors replaced by a dealership. Do it right the first repair job and put on quality rotors and pads and you won' have a problem. I will stop you now from any dim witted replies. I know about braking and the reliabilty of your brakes and I never had any problems. I did all my own brake work both OEM/Mopar and Third Party. Brakes, transmissions, exhaust, AC, electrical. What ever problems you have most are covered under warranty and the rest are normal wear and tear parts. I know you all have stated it shouldn't have happened so soon. Well it does and it seems Jeep is at least taking care of this. This vehicle has been more than reliable when MAINTAINED PROPERLY. It has a four-wheel drive system like no other vehicle in the world, except for the HumVee . I have had all but one tire in a five foot snow bank with the other wheel on ice and with the proper knowledge of how to drive , I got out without any problems. I know hundreds of guys that beat up their jeeps day in and day out in areas that most of you have never seen except on TV and love and trust and rely on these vehicles. I am sorry you have problems that at times seem annoying and can be costly. Figure out first how to do the work yourself...you can't blame Daimler Chrysler for the dealerships and their money hungry mechanics. My brother-in-law was a mechanic but I still don't trust them one bit no matter certification or not. I can't appease every one with your problems but understand this as someone who has owned chevy's personnally and driven them as a cop.......I WOULD MUCH RATHER DRIVE A JEEP. True Jeep owners, not posers just understand this saying....It's a Jeep thing! If you don't understand this than you will never be happy with any vehicle you buy, because vehicles have problems and brake down and parts go faulty.

So I say again do your own repairs and keep a constant rigorous maintenance schedule and remember that Daimler Chrysler does take care of their loyal customers. If no one lets the manufacturer know of their problems and concerns than they can't gauge the number of issues and can't submit a nationwide recall. So let them know via email, snail mail or phone in a professional manner and then maybe if every person with this problem complains than Jeep can be aware of the problem and fix it. They aren't all knowing you have to tell them, this could be the manufacturers fault of a certain batch of parts for vehicles from a certain line. It is not necessarily Jeeps fault. The manufacturer was probably skimping on design of the parts for cost sake or any number of problems. If the manufacturer shipped a bad batch of parts there could be hundreds of Jeeps that rolled off the line with this problem. Most likely there are fewer or there would be more people complaining on these forums. Don't gripe on forums until you have at least contacted the company several times....then if they don't fix it and you have complained properly you can hit the forums. I wish you all the best of luck and years of enjoyment from your Jeeps. We Jeep fanatics love them for their quirks.

Unhappy

New here and WOW this thread has gotten some action! Anyway, I will say two of my buddies had relentless issues (some mentioned here) with their GC's...Me on the other hand have had 3 Jeeps and no issues beyond expected repairs/maintenance (knock on wood).

I came across this forum while day dreaming of Nissan 370Z that I will never own in the near future

Thread Information