Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Junior Member Registered Member

Thumbs down Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Problems

I have a 2001 Jeep Gr Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I have had nothing but problems with it. At approx 12k miles the rotors warped and needed machining. At 20k the rotors needed it again. (The dealer told me this was normal for the JGC). At 26k miles, had to replace all 4 rotors and all pads. At 40k miles, the transmission started slipping and after 2 weeks of the dealer trying to repair it (under warranty) they finally ordered a totally new one and replaced it. At the same time, the seals in the rear axle had to be replaced on both sides. Now, it has 55k miles and had to take it back to shop because the tail lights keep blowing out and it has a bad vibration while in gear coming from the rear end. Dealer told me that the vibration is from a broken rubber "boot" on an exhaust hanger/support. They also told me that I had a right front shock and a left rear shock that were both leaking and need replacing. Dealer also advised that the serpentine belt was cracked and in need of replacement as well. I know what you're thinking, hard off road driving. Wrong. This vehicle had never even been off of paved roads accept to drive through my front yard on occasion. Has any one out there had similar problems or do you have any suggestions other than unload this lemon on someone else?

Member Registered Member
    We had a 2001 GC as well. They're not the most reliable vehicles, and never really have been. Thank [insert the name of your supreme being here] they come with a warranty. Once the warranty expires, it's time to unload it.

Oh, and never admit that you own a Jeep, and never take it off road. grrrr.......

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ff_
    Oh, and never admit that you own a Jeep, and never take it off road. grrrr.......
    Yeah, good old chrystler at their best hehe. Thats how most of their vehicles are, they are just a waste of time and money, like our old fords we had (2000 F350 superduty with powerstroke, 2001 F150).... hence why we now only own gm once again hehe. (those two years with those fords sucked btw)
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

overdrive turns off in Jeep GC

I have 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that suddenly shifts the overdrive off after driving at highway speed for about an hour. This in turn overheats the transmission (which I have recently had the fluid changed). If I drive less than 55 mph then this doesn't happen. When the overdrive shifts off and I push the button on the gear shift it won't shut off. Any thoughts?

tarst Registered Member

Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by mightypuckett
    I have 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that suddenly shifts the overdrive off after driving at highway speed for about an hour. This in turn overheats the transmission (which I have recently had the fluid changed). If I drive less than 55 mph then this doesn't happen. When the overdrive shifts off and I push the button on the gear shift it won't shut off. Any thoughts?
    game-cheats-for-ps2 Jeep good

Quote Originally Posted by mightypuckett

Had the exact problem with my Ford mustang, and after spending $400 at the dealer with no fix, i went to a friends mechanic, and a new trasmission fixed the whole problem, have been ok for 27,000 miles now.

tarst Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ff_
    We had a 2001 GC as well. They're not the most reliable vehicles, and never really have been. Thank [insert the name of your supreme being here] they come with a warranty. Once the warranty expires, it's time to unload it.

game-cheats-for-ps2 good

2001 Jgc

Hey - this is my first post - I'm glad to find others out there in similar situations :

I've owned my 2001 JEEP GC for a few years now, bought it used, with 32,000 and purchased an extended warranty for 3yrs/36K. Currently, I have 74,000 miles on it.
    I love the vehicle and I find it very practical for my everyday use.

1. I've experienced one widow regulator failure/front passngr side which after a heated verbal exchange with the dealer, was covered under the extended warranty for $50 out of pocket.

2. I have also had an experience with the electrical system apparently malfunctioning -
    the dash lights and needles would go crazy, the engine would stop and then restart while at idle speeds or slightly higher. Also, I would occasionally turn the ignition key to crank and nothing would happen. The fuses were all checked and a service center ran a test on the alternator and engine and couldn't find anything wrong. These problems persisted for about a week or two before the vehicle just wouldnt start one morning and had to be towed. I was told the problem was possibly a bad ground wire from the battery, and/or potential faulty alarm system and that my current battery was in need of replacement. The service center replaced my battery with one that I was told had a higher capacity than the one I had before, and so far - there has been no problem with any of those issues again. < about 18 months ago >

3. I have had one set of new rotors and brake pads installed since purchase, about 8 months ago, and just recently have had to have the rotors turned due to some warping.
    I received a letter from D/C Jeep in regards to the class action lawsuit, but according to my understanding I was not eligible to opt into the lawsuit because I was not the original owner, nor had I had to replace any brake parts while under the original warranty. I never responded to the letter. Received a second letter, didn't answer back on that one either.

4. Last week, a routine oil change revealed a LEAKING rear wheel seal, on the passenger side.... AND a loose/faulty fan clutch under the hood. Service center replaced the wheel bearing and the seal, and a new fan clutch. Car came out of shop on Friday night at 7pm. 02/09/07

5. SAT/SUN/MON -- my temperature control gauge for the AC/HEAT has stopped working, nothing but HOT and i mean HOT air comes out of the vents regardless of where the dial is on blue/red. I had noticed in the past, that when i ran the HEAT at a level other than MAX, if I turned the dial back to Blue, to cool the air down, that occasionally the dial would have to be turned to MAX on heat/red, then immediately MAX on cold/blue, almost like a combination safe, before the temp would drop for the air coming from the vents.
    I'm going to contact the service center to see if this can be related to the fan clutch repair... will have to update on that.

thanks!

We have had a 2001 grand cherokee laredo for about 2 years i'd say and has around 35,000 miles on it. no problems have ever been had. you must have very bad luck

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    No, I know what the problem is... you were the LUCKY one to get a "good" jeep. God damn its hard to fit in them when you are over 6 ft tall... back when someone hit our 94 Suburban, they gave us (Enterprise) a jeep grand cherokee... way to small for even a 5' 6" woman such as my mom. Then they gave us a Dodge Durango to tie us over until our burban was repaired from damage. Boy, Chrystler makes the smallest vehicles that I have been in.
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angry

SimmonSC.....
    Since this is my first post as well, I figured I might as well pick one of my favorite sore spots: The Mighty (?) Jeep GC.
    I owned a '95 and a '00, and let me tell you, the rotors are garbage! I went through 3 sets on the '00 the first 12,000 mi, then Chrysler promptly booted me down the road.I replaced the rotors myself (I'm an ex-mechanic) with a set of Wagners for $140/set. I sold the vehicle 40,000 miles later with the same set of rotors.
    For anyone out there who thinks it's the driver, think again---just take a visit to the NHTSA website (use Google) and search for complaints about the brakes on the GC. People are screaming about how dangerous they are. Every complaint was a mirror image to mine. By the way, the problem goes back years---NHTSA goes back to '95 with complaints.
    I solved my problem---I sold the GC and bought a Nissan Murano! An amazing vehicle...weighs 50lb less than the GC and has a motor with 50 more HP (I had the 4.0 I-6 ). My Murano gets 28 mpg/HWY and 18 mpg/CTY. The GC was a pig barely doing 20mpg on the HWY.
    There's tons of other stuff that was wrong with mine as well, but the brake issue p'd me off because that's a safety issue! My advice---run far, run fast away from that vehicle. We all deserve better when we belly up to the counter for a $30,000 vehicle.

Good luck

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

I've purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3 years ago. I must say I guess I'm lucky. I've taken it to 108K miles with no problems and it's still runs smooth and strong and quiet. EXCEPT, the rotors! Had the front replaced at 99K by a certified Jeep dealer. At 103K, they started to pulsate again, noticed more in the brake pedal but especially the steering wheel. Took it back, they told me the rears needed to be replaced. Drove out with the same problem. Took it back and insisted it was still the front. To suffice me, they acknowledged the rotors where too small and they've dealt with complaints for years about this, they replaced them again. I believe they did nothing because I'm still noticing the problem at braking speeds over 50 mph. In spite of this, the car has more than held up. I've taken it off road, driven it hard, no problems other than the brakes. I would've considered buying a new model but since Jeep/Chrysler has done nothing to help us with these issues, they can take their product and shove it..."It's a Jeep thing, they wouldn't understand!"
    Last edited by Edgewood1; 10-03-2005 at 19:10.

Rotor problem explained

Hello fellow GC owners. The problem we have with our brakes are not warped rotors but unevenly worn rotors. Caused by , get this, defective and/or poorly designed calipers! Which is why replacing your rotors only helps for a short while, then you do it again...and again. The comment that dealers say that they are undersized is crap. Though going larger wouldn't be such a bad idea. The truth is found in the Chrysler bulletin for GC's years 1999-2001. If you do a search on TSB 05-003-02 Revision A you'll find that every Jeep dealer in the world has access to this problem. There is no reason they can't figure this out. I just had my brakes done YESTERDAY! I had to tell them of the bulletin. And I had to make them change out the calipers. They kept telling me they were fine. Maybe they were, but the safety of my son is more important than the $254 for the caliper kit recommended by Jeep. That's for both calipers, pads and various crap they need. Of course I had to shell out $69/rotor as well.
    I find it disturbing that a guy with little auto mechanical experience has to explain these things to Jeep mechanics. I find it MORE disturbing that a brake problem only gets a bulletin and not a warranty recall. Aren't brakes vital to the safety of their customers?
    Please do yourself a favor and Goggle that bulletin number. Print it and carefully insert it into the next Jeep Service Advisor that comes back to you with, " It's normal for rotors to warp every 15,000 miles" If thats the case why have I never replaced rotors in any other car/truck I've owned in the last 20 years?

Rotor problem explained

What year is your Jeep? I have a 2004 with 18k miles which is scheduled to go in for brakes problems this coming monday.

Quote Originally Posted by ftmyersguy
    Hello fellow GC owners. The problem we have with our brakes are not warped rotors but unevenly worn rotors. Caused by , get this, defective and/or poorly designed calipers! Which is why replacing your rotors only helps for a short while, then you do it again...and again. The comment that dealers say that they are undersized is crap. Though going larger wouldn't be such a bad idea. The truth is found in the Chrysler bulletin for GC's years 1999-2001. If you do a search on TSB 05-003-02 Revision A you'll find that every Jeep dealer in the world has access to this problem. There is no reason they can't figure this out. I just had my brakes done YESTERDAY! I had to tell them of the bulletin. And I had to make them change out the calipers. They kept telling me they were fine. Maybe they were, but the safety of my son is more important than the $254 for the caliper kit recommended by Jeep. That's for both calipers, pads and various crap they need. Of course I had to shell out $69/rotor as well.
    I find it disturbing that a guy with little auto mechanical experience has to explain these things to Jeep mechanics. I find it MORE disturbing that a brake problem only gets a bulletin and not a warranty recall. Aren't brakes vital to the safety of their customers?
    Please do yourself a favor and Goggle that bulletin number. Print it and carefully insert it into the next Jeep Service Advisor that comes back to you with, " It's normal for rotors to warp every 15,000 miles" If thats the case why have I never replaced rotors in any other car/truck I've owned in the last 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by ftmyersguy
    I find it disturbing that a guy with little auto body part mechanical experience has to explain these things to Jeep mechanics. I find it MORE disturbing that a brake problem only gets a bulletin and not a warranty recall. Aren't brakes vital to the safety of their customers?Please do yourself a favor and Goggle that bulletin number. Print it and carefully insert it into the next Jeep Service Advisor that comes back to you with, " It's normal for rotors to warp every 15,000 miles" If thats the case why have I never replaced rotors in any other car/truck I've owned in the last 20 years?
    Read this thread just now.... Yes it is vital to the safety of customers.. But brakes are the ones that are easily worn off. Unless there is a defect on the brakes, then that will be considered under the warranty

Angry 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee rotor problem

We have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a whopping 19,000 + miles on it. At 13,000 miles and still under warranty the brakes were replaced because of the pulsing problem. Rotors. Now, 6,000 miles later, it is starting again. Called the dealer who admitted the problem and said that Chrysler knows about it. Obviously. This fix is on us - money wise. And I was told that it was no problem as far as safety. Can that be? Any recourse?

Less aggravation to replace the rotors

Find a reputable local service shop, NOT a Chrylser center. Ask them how much a front brake job will run you, including replacing the rotors if they deem that they can't be trued. (See post below re 2002 JGC Headaches)- While it will be out of pocket expense, and may grate on your sense of principal, but I think you will be quite surprised at how inexpensive this repair can be relative to having it serviced at you CJD dealer. I was charged 60.00 per rotor for BRAND NEW aftermarket units when the time came to replace them, and have not had a problem since. The entire front brake job cost 250.00, including the rotors as compared to the 1500.00 in repairs Chrsler said was necessary (Initially it only cost me 75.00 to have them cut, but the factory rotors are so thin that one cut out is all you can get out of them, hence the reason for replacement later on.) You may even be able to pay a little less depending on where you live, cost of doing business around here is high so that's also a factor.

Quality no longer job #1 at Chrysler.Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by jank
    We have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a whopping 19,000 + miles on it. At 13,000 miles and still under warranty the brakes were replaced because of the pulsing problem. Rotors. Now, 6,000 miles later, it is starting again. Called the dealer who admitted the problem and said that Chrysler knows about it. Obviously. This fix is on us - money wise. And I was told that it was no problem as far as safety. Can that be? Any recourse?
    My 2002 has window problems, two have fallen down.Dealership wants 400.00 per window to repair.This a two wheel drive model that has never been off road.

Broken window regulator

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazzucca
    My 2002 has window problems, two have fallen down.Dealership wants 400.00 per window to repair.This a two wheel drive model that has never been off road.
    It's a shame that Chrysler/Jeep doesn't repair faulty parts for free and it should be a crime that they continue to use them year after year. Look up my post on broken window regulators for instructions and locations to buy them...I believe you can still buy one for $80.00 - $100.00 and put it in within 1 1/2 hours. Don't give your hard earned money to Chrysler/Jeep. I am currently researching how to make the end pieces out of another material so they don't break anymore, will post when I have it completed.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L 4 wheel drive

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L engine 4 wheel drive. I've had to replace a few things. I had to get the engine replaced! And that's one expensive engine to be going out after 3 years. We kept the oil changed every 3-5K miles. And the heater doesn't work. They say $800 to fix the heater because they have to take so much apart to get to it. I've already had the rotors and all replaced and a rear axle leak fixed as well. The coolant system had a leak. I've replaced one of the heated seats. Yep. I spent a crapload replacing things just before the engine went out!!!!! And I've heard from other people and mechanics that they've had to replace a few of these engines. But there is no recall as of yet. Maybe not enough bad ones or something. I would advise a very good and lengthy warranty if you are going to purchase one of these!

2001 Grand Cherokee

Hello to all,
    I thought I was the only one having similar problems with their Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had to replace my brakes, rotors and pads twice within a years time, appromixately 5,000 miles apart. It would seem to me that with normal drivingm brakes should last at least 20 to 30 thousand miles. The third time I took my jeep to the dealer, I was quoted about 800 dollars because they told me I needed brakes all the way around, rotors and pads. The next day, I took my jeep to Midas.....$89 dollars later I was out the door. What a rip-off from Chrysler-Jeep if I had taken it there. I've become extremely suspicious of Jeep dealers at this point. I also had a passenger side window fail, just after my warranty expired(75,000 extended). How convenient. I bit the bullet on this one because I was about to go on a cross-country trip and had to have my window repaired. It was apparently what they call the regulater. The window basically fell off the track. Now I'm wondering if they just put it back on the track with the old parts or replaced everything. The invoice didn't specify. Don't get me wrong though, because I still love my jeep. I suspect it's the quality of original workmanship and the dealers are at fault. Makes you wonder why people don't buy American any longer. I quest Detroit still hasn't gotton it yet. Mayve someday.

Keith

Angry Same brake issue you're having....

Hi, I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee but things are starting to pop up with only 36,000+ miles. I am experiencing similar brake issues like yourself. Ever since I purchased my Jeep, I have had multiple warranty service repairs. With 35,000+, I started feeling the brake pulsation while braking on high way conditions and it wasn't like I was hitting the brakes hard. I took my Jeep in to local dealer an they said my calipers were undersize from the factory and warranted replacement with bigger calipers with more frictional surface. However, they only changed out the rear and now I am experiencing the same issues. This time around, though, with 37,000Miles, I am told that the rotors are warped. Hum... I don't believe at 37,000 miles this should happen. I haven't yet went back to discuss this with the technician but I bet because they didn't change out the front calipers, over time it warped my rotors due to uneven float in / out as I brake. I am not sure how to proceed with convincing them of my theory. I have emailed Chrysler Daimler, not sure if anything will come about my email. Does anybody have any suggestions???? I could use all the help I can get... dont' want to pay them because of poor engineering. I tried searching for Recall from Jeep but didn't find anything. Again, I truly agree with you that this is a safety concern. If they originally admitted to factory undersize calipers, they should take responsibility for their design.

Thanks,

2001 jeep grand cherokee problems

I also have a 2001 Jepp Grand Cherokee 4x4 with brake problems as well. I had to replace all the pads and rotors at 42k miles.Now with 55k miles everything is fine. I read in an article that the biggest complaint about the jeep grand cherokee was the brake rotors. for some reason the material that is used to make the rotors is very cheap. Look out for you windows. I had replace the passenger side window regulator. the regulator is made out of plastic. But overall the jeep is a very good suv.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. - 4x4 quadra drive

Currently has 45k miles.
    My problems are as follows:
    Brakes & Rotors - every 10k miles need replacing. based on other recomendations, I will switch to aftermarket brakes and rotors.
    Power window motors - both driver and passenger power windows went out.
    Transmission - check engine light came on (45k miles), noticed the tranny would clunk and jerk when put into drive and clunk and jerk when shifiting between 1st and 2nd. input and output speed sensors need replacing ($280 with labor).
    10 disc CD changer - giving an error message

My problems have been pretty consistent with the attached link:
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...d=3179&src=vip

Class Action lawsuit forming against Daimler Chrysler

Per Autoblog 11/17/2004:
    "Details are sketchy but it seems a lawyer in the Kansas City area is looking for plantiffs in a class action lawsuit against Jeep for the faulty brakes found in the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee. My significant other leases a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and we're on our second trip to the dealer to fix the front brakes. The last time they said it was warped rotors. From message boards I've read we're not the only ones with this problem and this lawsuit might indeed get more folks onboard."

http://autoblog.com/entry/0771224811266534/
    Last edited by rubenc; 11-17-2004 at 08:53.

Thread Information