Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Registered Member

Thumbs down Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Problems

I have a 2001 Jeep Gr Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I have had nothing but problems with it. At approx 12k miles the rotors warped and needed machining. At 20k the rotors needed it again. (The dealer told me this was normal for the JGC). At 26k miles, had to replace all 4 rotors and all pads. At 40k miles, the transmission started slipping and after 2 weeks of the dealer trying to repair it (under warranty) they finally ordered a totally new one and replaced it. At the same time, the seals in the rear axle had to be replaced on both sides. Now, it has 55k miles and had to take it back to shop because the tail lights keep blowing out and it has a bad vibration while in gear coming from the rear end. Dealer told me that the vibration is from a broken rubber "boot" on an exhaust hanger/support. They also told me that I had a right front shock and a left rear shock that were both leaking and need replacing. Dealer also advised that the serpentine belt was cracked and in need of replacement as well. I know what you're thinking, hard off road driving. Wrong. This vehicle had never even been off of paved roads accept to drive through my front yard on occasion. Has any one out there had similar problems or do you have any suggestions other than unload this lemon on someone else?

Member Registered Member
    We had a 2001 GC as well. They're not the most reliable vehicles, and never really have been. Thank [insert the name of your supreme being here] they come with a warranty. Once the warranty expires, it's time to unload it.

Oh, and never admit that you own a Jeep, and never take it off road. grrrr.......

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ff_
    Oh, and never admit that you own a Jeep, and never take it off road. grrrr.......
    Yeah, good old chrystler at their best hehe. Thats how most of their vehicles are, they are just a waste of time and money, like our old fords we had (2000 F350 superduty with powerstroke, 2001 F150).... hence why we now only own gm once again hehe. (those two years with those fords sucked btw)
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We have had a 2001 grand cherokee laredo for about 2 years i'd say and has around 35,000 miles on it. no problems have ever been had. you must have very bad luck

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    No, I know what the problem is... you were the LUCKY one to get a "good" jeep. God damn its hard to fit in them when you are over 6 ft tall... back when someone hit our 94 Suburban, they gave us (Enterprise) a jeep grand cherokee... way to small for even a 5' 6" woman such as my mom. Then they gave us a Dodge Durango to tie us over until our burban was repaired from damage. Boy, Chrystler makes the smallest vehicles that I have been in.
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angry

SimmonSC.....
    Since this is my first post as well, I figured I might as well pick one of my favorite sore spots: The Mighty (?) Jeep GC.
    I owned a '95 and a '00, and let me tell you, the rotors are garbage! I went through 3 sets on the '00 the first 12,000 mi, then Chrysler promptly booted me down the road.I replaced the rotors myself (I'm an ex-mechanic) with a set of Wagners for $140/set. I sold the vehicle 40,000 miles later with the same set of rotors.
    For anyone out there who thinks it's the driver, think again---just take a visit to the NHTSA website (use Google) and search for complaints about the brakes on the GC. People are screaming about how dangerous they are. Every complaint was a mirror image to mine. By the way, the problem goes back years---NHTSA goes back to '95 with complaints.
    I solved my problem---I sold the GC and bought a Nissan Murano! An amazing vehicle...weighs 50lb less than the GC and has a motor with 50 more HP (I had the 4.0 I-6 ). My Murano gets 28 mpg/HWY and 18 mpg/CTY. The GC was a pig barely doing 20mpg on the HWY.
    There's tons of other stuff that was wrong with mine as well, but the brake issue p'd me off because that's a safety issue! My advice---run far, run fast away from that vehicle. We all deserve better when we belly up to the counter for a $30,000 vehicle.

Good luck

Angry Same brake issue you're having....

Hi, I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee but things are starting to pop up with only 36,000+ miles. I am experiencing similar brake issues like yourself. Ever since I purchased my Jeep, I have had multiple warranty service repairs. With 35,000+, I started feeling the brake pulsation while braking on high way conditions and it wasn't like I was hitting the brakes hard. I took my Jeep in to local dealer an they said my calipers were undersize from the factory and warranted replacement with bigger calipers with more frictional surface. However, they only changed out the rear and now I am experiencing the same issues. This time around, though, with 37,000Miles, I am told that the rotors are warped. Hum... I don't believe at 37,000 miles this should happen. I haven't yet went back to discuss this with the technician but I bet because they didn't change out the front calipers, over time it warped my rotors due to uneven float in / out as I brake. I am not sure how to proceed with convincing them of my theory. I have emailed Chrysler Daimler, not sure if anything will come about my email. Does anybody have any suggestions???? I could use all the help I can get... dont' want to pay them because of poor engineering. I tried searching for Recall from Jeep but didn't find anything. Again, I truly agree with you that this is a safety concern. If they originally admitted to factory undersize calipers, they should take responsibility for their design.

Thanks,

2001 jeep grand cherokee problems

I also have a 2001 Jepp Grand Cherokee 4x4 with brake problems as well. I had to replace all the pads and rotors at 42k miles.Now with 55k miles everything is fine. I read in an article that the biggest complaint about the jeep grand cherokee was the brake rotors. for some reason the material that is used to make the rotors is very cheap. Look out for you windows. I had replace the passenger side window regulator. the regulator is made out of plastic. But overall the jeep is a very good suv.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. - 4x4 quadra drive

Currently has 45k miles.
    My problems are as follows:
    Brakes & Rotors - every 10k miles need replacing. based on other recomendations, I will switch to aftermarket brakes and rotors.
    Power window motors - both driver and passenger power windows went out.
    Transmission - check engine light came on (45k miles), noticed the tranny would clunk and jerk when put into drive and clunk and jerk when shifiting between 1st and 2nd. input and output speed sensors need replacing ($280 with labor).
    10 disc CD changer - giving an error message

My problems have been pretty consistent with the attached link:
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...d=3179&src=vip

Class Action lawsuit forming against Daimler Chrysler

Per Autoblog 11/17/2004:
    "Details are sketchy but it seems a lawyer in the Kansas City area is looking for plantiffs in a class action lawsuit against Jeep for the faulty brakes found in the 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee. My significant other leases a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and we're on our second trip to the dealer to fix the front brakes. The last time they said it was warped rotors. From message boards I've read we're not the only ones with this problem and this lawsuit might indeed get more folks onboard."

http://autoblog.com/entry/0771224811266534/
    Last edited by rubenc; 11-17-2004 at 08:53.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Whats wrong with replacing brakes? Their a normal wear item, Jeeps are heavy trucks they are hard on brakes. If your brakes wear out to early drive slower! The driver has a lot to to with brake wear don't speed up to a stop then slam on the brakes of your heavy truck they will wear fast!

Warped disc's can be caused by many things heating up your brakes then sitting at a stop light for awhile. Or drving through a lot of water with hot brakes. Sometimes they just warp it happens.

Jeep problems

Just thought I would weigh in with my problems. I bought the 2000 Jeep Lardeo ~ 6 months ago (43,000 miles) and I thought I was getting a bargin but here are my problems.

1. Luckily, before we bought it we noticed the warped rotors and the dealer fixed them for free along with taking our low offer (I should have run). However, we live in Colorado, so it wasn't totally unreasonable.

2. Both seat warmers do not work (Currently trying to fix, Any advice?)

3. Replaced power locks today on drivers side ($88 dollars for part).

4. The cd player works intermittenly.

5. The AC also works intermittenly if it is on for over an hour (no clue why, luckily it is cool in colorado.

I love the old jeeps, I have a 58' willys and owned a 96' cherokee(160,000 and still going strong), but I am losing my confidence in their newer models.

Ben

Thumbs down Jeep Brakes

I have had 2 grand cherokees, 2000 and 2003, both have had many brake problems at early miles, rotors by 20,000 miles. On the first JGC Chrysler acknowledged the fault and replaced them, on the second JGC they forgot there was a problem. When it was time to decide whether to keep the 2000 JGC ($36,000 Jeep), the service manager said if it was my Toyota Sequoia she would say yes, buy out the lease, but with the JGC she recommended returning the lease and starting fresh, that I could expect many probs at 50,000 mi. We will not buy another one, too many problems. Here are some other probs.
    ignition, alarm malfunctions and will not shut off till you reach 15 mi. per hour, electric seats do not heat, brakes, rotors, brakes rotors. . . .

Question 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Noises

I have a 1994 Jeep GC Laredo V8 5.4L and have experienced loud clunking noises coming from both the front and back end while turning. It seems to be worse once the car has been driven at highway speed for 20 min or more. I'm not sure what this noise could possibly be, but I not only hear the noise, but feel the car sort of pull or chug while turning. I have had two mechanics tell me that this is normal for 4x4 vehicles; I personally have never driven one before so do not know. I do realize that my Jeep is all time 4x4, but this noise and motion that the car makes when turning does not feel like something that could be normal. I was just wondering if it is, and if it is not a common occurence, then what it could be.

Mine has tons of problems...

I have a 2003 GC, that I bought new from a Jeep-Chrysler dealership. I have already replaced the brake pads and rotors twice. I have to say it is the worst car I have ever had. There is ALWAYS something wrong with it. Most recently the passenger side window wouldn't roll up. Also within the last month, the transmission started slipping so it was repaired as well, though it is already starting to slip again . The alignment has also been redone. I will never buy another GC again! It is such a hassle to have to bring my 2-year-old car into the garage for a couple days one every month or two.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2001 Driver & Passanger Sides Broken Window Regulators.

I am currently in the middle of replacing my driver's side window regulator. I replaced my passanger side window regulator less then 7 months ago. I love my Jeep. I think it's great, but I hope that the back windows are fine because everytime a regulator brakes it costs me $395.00 at Chrystler. I was wondering if this happens to other people?.....?.....?....?
    Overall I think that the JEEP is an EXCELLENT SUV.

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and very glad I found it. I needed to go somewhere to let all my fustration out . I own a 2000 GC and it is the worst car I have ever had. Like everyone else on here my rotor warped and the whole brake system had to be changed out at 20 thousand miles. Now at 49 thousand miles the rotor warped again and its going to cost me $1100 to fix, and check this out they knew that there is a problem with the rotor and will not fix it. The customer service person told me when I bought the car in that Jeep had sent them out a bulletin on the problem but they will not fix it because it is not a recall (what a bunch of crap) also my transmission line broke had to get that fix, my regulator on my passenger side went out and the part along is $229.50. All I will say is that I will never buy another Jeep again for as long as I live, and the bad thing is a friend of minds have the same model GC and he is having similar problems as well, so what does that tell everyone. Well I will be back to vent later and thank you all for helping me realize what crappy cars Jeep sales.

ZJ,C4,V12-W140 owner Registered Member

ZJ Clunking Noise in Front Suspension

I also have same type of front end clunking noise as mentioned in this forum, when at very slow speeds/parking lot turns in my 94 ZJ Jeep. Still chasing the problem. Hopefully we can find answers here. thanks in advance.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    Front end clunks while turning are usually CV joints or their equivalents. Unless you have a two wheel drive... then you'd have some really strange issues.
    Slanter - redefining "jury rigged repair" since 1997
    '66 Dodge Dart & 2000 Ford Focus -
    or

Quote Originally Posted by cynthia4781
    I am currently in the middle of replacing my driver's side window regulator. I replaced my passanger side window regulator less then 7 months ago. I love my Jeep. I think it's great, but I hope that the back windows are fine because everytime a regulator brakes it costs me $395.00 at Chrystler. I was wondering if this happens to other people?.....?.....?....?
    i feel your pain. back in january of 05 my driver side window regulator broke. i own a 2001 grand cherokee laredo. the price to fix was 362.52. now on 8/17/05 the passenger side window regulator broke. i have currently called chystler on this situation and am told they will get an estimate from the dealership and get back to me to let me know if they will compensate me. ill post the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TLCGARLOFF
    i feel your pain. back in january of 05 my driver side window regulator broke. i own a 2001 grand cherokee laredo. the price to fix was 362.52. now on 8/17/05 the passenger side window regulator broke. i have currently called chystler on this situation and am told they will get an estimate from the dealership and get back to me to let me know if they will compensate me. ill post the outcome.

I am having a problem with my 2000 Laredo. It has problems starting and i have to crank the engine two or three times before it will start. I also have a problem with the power locks and windows. Any suggestions?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ajt*
    I am having a problem with my 2000 Laredo. It has problems starting and i have to crank the engine two or three times before it will start. I also have a problem with the power locks and windows. Any suggestions?
    I also have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, this is my 3rd Jeep and so far this one has most problems.
    Some are same as you , have to crank three or 4 times before it will start, sometimes only the starter makes a sound, then I just take key count to ten and cross my fingers that it will start with next try.
    A couple of Days ago the front passenger window would not close , so what could that be , well it turns out that the Wire connected to the regulator had been eaten up. No big Deal I thought ,well no it turned out to be a real big deal . the wire cant be purchased by itself and look and see not even connected to only the Regulator is it awaileble. No the whole thing has to be replaced , that means with Motor .Trying to find this Replacement Part is a chor . Part Companys that do have this Part are out of stock because they are flying of the shelf as one Seller said. Most Part Dealer do not stock this Part because it is not availibel to them. Seams to be a real big Problem!!! All the Calls I made and Links I opend , wow , Prices vary from $99.- to $224.40 plus Tax and this is for the same Part!!!
    Found out that for Models before 2001 , it was possible to buy the Part seperatly.
    There seams to be a real problem with this but so far no Recall

2001-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Passenger side power w/motor front window regulator #REG4500

ZJ,C4,V12-W140 owner Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmercer
    I also have same type of front end clunking noise as mentioned in this forum, when at very slow speeds/parking lot turns in my 94 ZJ Jeep. Still chasing the problem. Hopefully we can find answers here. thanks in advance.
    We are still trying to find out why our 94 Grand Cherokee has loud popping/clunking noise from both front left/rright sides when at parking speed. All front end parts, inlcuding axle shafts replaced. Even have removed stablizer bar and all related parts and still makes the clunking noise. Should we have a new set of axles shafts/CV joints installed, even though current set is one year old?
    thanks.
    Last edited by wmercer; 09-11-2005 at 19:30.

Quote Originally Posted by cynthia4781
    I have a 2002 GC. On 8/8/05, my front passenger windor regulator broke. The dealership charged $428 to fix. On 9/10/05, the back passenger window regulator broke, AAA fixed for $432. On 9/12/05, the front Drivers side window regulator broke. Haven't fixed yet, but on the plus side, I only have one more to go. It is really frustrating to replace 3 regulators in one month for $1300.

I am also on my third Jeep. This one has been nothing but problems. When I first purchased the Jeep (new, off the lot) there was a noise I describe as a mixture between a sick goose and a fog horn that came from the motor when the air conditioner was operating. Needless to say I took it in for repair. When I received it back from the dealerhip they assured me it was fixed. Well, they were wrong. I had to take it back at least four more times and they never got it right. Finally I gave up for about a year (luckily I didn't have to use my a/c during this time). I realized how bad and annoying the sound was at the beginning of the summer and decided to take it back once again. Well, the dealership and Jeep headquarters told me it was now out of warranty and I would have to pay to have it fixed. Talk about some serious anger. I never did have it fixed. Then, two weeks later, my driver side window regulator broke, which cost me somewhere over $300 to have fixed. One month later my emergency brake snapped, which was pretty expensive to have fixed. Two days ago my back driver side window regulator broke. I wrote a complaint letter to Jeep detailing all of the aforementioned problems. The response I received was, no kidding, "we are not able to provide a diagnosis for your problem through your correspondence." Are you kidding me? It really makes me mad that I would spend this much money on a vehicle and have problem after problem with it. It truly is a shame. The customer service at Jeep is pretty pathetic, too. It seems to me that there should be a class action lawsuit addressing all of the window regulator and brake problems.

Thread Information