Junior Member Registered Member

PT Cruiser with no headlights

My 2001 PT Cruisers seems to have a major problem. My headlights go out at random. I was driving along one night in May and suddenly my headlights went out. We were able to pull off to the side of the road safely. After about 10 minutes they would come back on. I took it to a Chrysler dealer and he said he'd never heard of a problem like that. He checked with the Chrylser company and got back to us. No, no problems. He told us for
    $64.50 an hour they would check it but probably wouldn't find anything unless it happened while they had the car. We have been driving the car during the day with the brights on to see if it happened again. In the last two months it's happened at least 3 times. Now what do we do? I have a wonderful PT Cruiser that I can only drive during the day. I can't even sell it with this problem. Any suggestions? Has any other PT Cruiser owners had this problem. I could sure use some help.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar

Circuit breaker and a short circuit.

I'm not sure how a PT Cruiser is wired, but it sounds like you have a circuit breaker in the system that resets itself after ten minutes, and a short circuit that is causing it to go off. Unless you have installed some sort of aftermarket electrical device, the most likely place for a short circuit would be at the connectors instead of along the wiring. Look for anything like rust or signs of water leakage or other damage. Good luck as short circuits are a real pain to find. Not having a PT Cruiser wiring diagram, I could be wrong about the existance of a circuit breaker, but that seems the most likely way this could happen.
    Slanter - redefining "jury rigged repair" since 1997
    '66 Dodge Dart & 2000 Ford Focus -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lincoln Registered Member
    Check to see if you have one headlight relay in the main panel or two (not sure where it is on a PT but your owners manual will help here). If you have only one then I would replace it first and see if solves the problem. If there are two (one for each side) then this is probably not the problem.

Are the headlights stock??? Any thing connected to the electrical system on the car not stock??? Any remote starter or similar aftermarket items connected to the light circuit (my remote start turns on the headlights)???

PT Cruiser Headlights turning off?

I just read at another site that some 2001 PT Cruisers came with faulty light switches... Maybe you could have the switch replaced and solve your problem!

Hope this info isn't too late for you and hope it helps!!

Regards,

MaskMarvl

Thumbs down PT Cruiser Oil leak

I just recently bought a brand new 2005 PT Cruiser. After the 2nd oil change I'm told I have an oil leak and to get it back to the dealer. Well as happy as they were to sell me the car, they had a problem of getting back to me, and told me they never recieved my phone call. It goes back to the garage tomorrow. I have the feeling this is the beginning of several more problems to come in near future.

Will never ever buy this type of car again!

Headlights taillights and dome light not working

I have a 2004 Pt Crusier and just the other day my head and taillights stop working. So far I changed the switch on the steering column checked the fuses and changed the rely fuse but still no head lights. Can some one please help

Quote Originally Posted by olivia963 View Post
    Hi all, I'm Olivia and I'm new to this forum.
    Welcome Olivia. I'm just joined too.

Hi Iam new to this forum.

I have not had such problems yet

sir Registered Member

Hello

Hello All, I recently joined this forum

Junior Member Registered Member Donald88's Avatar
    Hello car lovers. Thanks for accepting me. I'm new to the forum.

Junior Member Registered Member Donald88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taikhoan View Post
    hihihihihihihihihihihi

hello taikhoan

Thread Information