Junior Member Registered Member

Unhappy Need Help With First Setup

Hey guys, you all seem like you know what your doing. Ive been looking into subwoofers and amps and headunits, and finally realized that im not really sure what im doing. So I want something that hits hard but doesnt distort sound quality. Im looking to spend around $1000-1500. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Need to know the vehicle, type of music you listen to, and is volume or sound quality or both more important.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar

Heu

Well time to ask the standard questions, what size woofer you want how many woofers, you want to go ported or sealed. What car, year model make etc. You looking at getting some new front speakers and a amp for them also? How much space you willing to give up for the woofer. What kind of fuctionality you want out of your HU.

Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer_Fan
    Need to know the vehicle, type of music you listen to, and is volume or sound quality or both more important.
    You beat me to it, my computer has been acting up. But mine was longer hehe I bet if I made mine shorter I would of beat ya to it.

Thats my 2 cents.

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    You are willing to spend that much huh? Think about competitions yet? You should be able to get a pretty spiffy system around that price heh.
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmm

Ha, for $500 if you play your cards right you can make a pretty spiffy compeition vehicle. I know got a guy whos doing one right now. Hes hovering around $500 right now for everything. Not a bad deal. Hes actually going to do pretty good for his power and woofer class which is cool.

Thats my 2 cents.

The info you all needed

Hey thanks for your quick responses. Its a 2002 Jetta, so the trunk is fairly large. I was thinking two 12's. I'd like to still have a functioning trunk after the setup, I listen to a lot of rap and techno where bass is common. Like I said before I want to see how loud I can get without distorting the quality (still understanding the words in the songs). This is going to be the final touch for this already show car, I wasnt really thinking I needed to change the speakers yet b/c the factory Monsoon sound system seems pretty good. I just need the bass. Thanks again guys.

Well ok

How loud do you want it, and how big of a box you think you can fit got diemensions or cubic feet. I got some ideas for you. Just trying to get a better feel of the system, also do you want a new cd player or keep the factory one. If you do want a new cd player what kind of features you looking for want it to play mp3's or what.

Thats my 2 cents.

Hey im content with my factory cd player, and I think its powerful enough. I'll do some measuring of the trunk tommorow to see what we're working with. I really liked the JL 13W7 but if i getting that would take half my budget away. Since im trying to show this off with the show car I like the "look" of Audiobahn but I have heard some reliability issues with their products. Alright well ill get back to you guys with some measurements tommorow.

Audiobahn is more show than go. If you are going for show, damn dude, just go w/ the 13w7 and be done w/ it. Nothing from Audiobahn is even in the same category for SQ and SPL. I am more and more of a JL fan every day. All my speakers are JL. Man I love my JL W3 subs and JL XR highs.

Yeah

He can go with a W7 thats not a bad woofer works good for show, also he could go with like a Brahma 15" or a RE XXX and inversely mount it. That should work well also. They both have sexy motors ;) IDMAX is an option probally would want to go with 2 of them though, they arent the best woofers but they do ok. For amps he has a bunch of choices he can go with.

He could go with the Brahma regular mounted and then go with a Subzero enclosure they are pretty good looking, good for show. So he has a lot of options to go with, I am waiting on his diemensions so I can help narrow it down.

Thats my 2 cents.

Okay guys heres the dimensions

Okay I just measured the trunk. Im working with 38-42 inches across, 19-21 inches top to bottom, and 15-18 inches deep. Hopefully that helps you guys thanks for all your help.

Ok you can fit a subzero enclosure they are sealed only, they make some nice ones for brahmas. Are you looking to buy a enclosure or make your own enclosure? Pre built, are expsensive almost always sealed. but they look good.
    Building your own have the pride you made that, cna make it custom the way you want it, can look good, and you can go ported or sealed.

Thats my 2 cents.

Enclosure

Considering this is my first stab at anything like this how hard would it be to build a show quality enclosure. I love the look of fiberglass but I really want something temporary that i could easily move to another car. Im up for the challenge just not sure if my knowledge and skills would be up to par.

hmm

I wrote a nice long one then got some error trying to post it and now lost everything I said so here it goes again.

Building the subwoofer box itself isnt that hard, takes some time but if you have access to some tools not hard. The hard part I think is to make the box look really nice. Carpeting it or using some kind of spray on texture like linex or appyling a sheet of some kind of plastic stuff. Carpet its not too hard I learned a few tricks while working on subwoofer boxes... Also you can paint it the boxes, if you do enough sanding and priming it can come out looking really nice.

Now if you want to use fiberglass or any of that stuff then yeah thats alot harder then making a simple box.

Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information