Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar

2K Mercury Cougar: Premium Sound??

I googled this and got nothing, and I'm too lazy to call Ford. Does anyone know if Ford put a premium sound system in the 2000 Mercury Cougar? The speakers really sound like they have some external amplification behind them, but I'd have to tear apart the doors to find out for sure. I've got the V6 model, not the I4. Anyone??

Senior Member Registered Member
    call a dealership ask to speak to their lead tech he will know skip the service managers and such they dont tend to know alot

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    I checked a website, it said no factory amp so you should be good to go. But its not 100% acurate but its close ;)

Thats my 2 cents.

Junior Member Registered Member
    There is a very easy way to tell if you have an amplifier. Typically Cougars do not, because they were a Volkswagen design. Pull out the radio, if you have 2 plugs that are long and flat, then no Amplifier. If one of the plugs is square, then amplifier.

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Thanks Installer. I wasn't sure if you'd made it back on the board yet. I've got 2 square plugs in the back of the factory radio. One had a lot of wires coming out of it, and the other has only two.

Junior Member Registered Member
    From what it sounds, it may be a Amplified system. Do the old speaker battery test. Although most Ford systems can use the factory amp with an aftermarket deck. I would just run new wires anyway. You know you will eventually, when you put in amps.

Thread Information