Member Registered Member

HSU subwoofer driver...

anybody use these? http://www.hsustore.com/asw1203.html

They look pretty sweet, want a small sealed box, decent sensitivity, big xmax,rubber surround, what more can you ask for? They even model well in my subwoofer program. Maybe I can have a couple of these in my car one day. This is such a nice woofer on paper, why isn't it very popular? It's more efficient then the titanic and shiva (sub program says), and wants a smaller box then both of them. They are a VERY respected name in home audio and I found this will scanning their site.

-Joey

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    They look somewhat similar to a Pioneer Premier, just not as glossy. If thats the case, they're pretty good. They look good, no super woofer, but good. I'm betting they'd be a good contender for the Shiva, although it'd have to come down to a side-by-side to see which is better.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    They look somewhat similar to a Pioneer Premier, just not as glossy. If thats the case, they're pretty good. They look good, no super woofer, but good. I'm betting they'd be a good contender for the Shiva, although it'd have to come down to a side-by-side to see which is better.
    Hmm let see uses long coil short gap technology so thats over hung. I wonder what the LE is on this woofer. Now let see has a higher FS then the shiva which can make up for having higher efficency, but requires supposaly a smaller box thus higher FS. I wonder what the QTC is for those given boxes... I dont have the full specs so I can not comment on the woofer fully. By the way they advertise rubber sorround. Foam works just as good as rubber lol. Sounds like a contender to the shiva, I dunno if it can hold up. I would like to see full specs etc.

When you build a woofer you get 3 things you choose 2 screw the third, playing low, efficency, small box. Shiva choosed efficency and playing low, screwed the small box. This looks like efficency and small box but screwed playing low kind of.

Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member

Hsu

I would only use this in a car where the shiva, actually titanic would be my choice for home. IMO you really don't need a car woofer to go that low, cuz you;re just playing music. The shiva is great for HT because of it's low fs and it doesn't matter how big it's box is cuz you're putting it in a room not a trunk. In my home theatre/stereo, I have a huge 12" horn sub, however it's not really a sub cuz it only goes down to about 38 hz, but everything else is extremly loud. This is awesome for music, and still nice for HT, but does leave a little something to be desired. So I'd be fine if my sealed box had an F3 of as high as 42 hertz or so cuz music doesn't need to get down past 30 hz or so unless you listen to organs. I do know that foam works just as good, but i had a pair of 10" woofers with foam surrounds and were about 10 years old, I just touched the surround and it crumbled, which now makes me leary of foam surround woofers.

-joey

Thread Information