Member Registered Member

Alpine vs. kicker

I noticed the Kicker compvr 15" has the same wattage (500rms) as the Type R 15" but the kicker is at least $75 cheaper on ebay. So how does the Kicker compvr 15" compare to the Alpine Type r 15"???

Member Registered Member
    Now dont everyone reply at once....

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    They're pretty equal IMO, but I would give the Type R a slight edge in the SQ area
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Junior Member Registered Member
    i agree with the alpines being better in SQ. the kickers might be a louder but not as clear.
    but both are good.

You'd be better off going with an Elemental Designs sub. Better SQ, more SPL, and less expensive than either the Kicker or the Alpine.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grampi
    You'd be better off going with an Elemental Designs sub. Better SQ, more SPL, and less expensive than either the Kicker or the Alpine.

now wait a minute. Elemental Designs?!?!! no way. eD is crap.
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    ED is bad overall, high failure rates terrible customer service and overrated products.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    ED is bad overall, high failure rates terrible customer service and overrated products.
    can some plz tell me where yall read about these subs and kno if there good or bad... bc i hav never heard of it and i need to kno these things... lol thnx and let me kno!!

aim = palmcityhusla69 im me anytime k

There are mainstream companies, ex: JL, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Dynamat

Then there are the dominatly internet companies: Adire, RE, ED, Second Skin

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaRider21
    can some plz tell me where yall read about these subs and kno if there good or bad... bc i hav never heard of it and i need to kno these things... lol thnx and let me kno!!

aim = palmcityhusla69 im me anytime k

oh believe me, You don't want to know about eD.

I don't know where you guys are getting your info, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. ED makes awesome subs (even more awesome considering the price). ANY sub they make, even their entry level subs are far better than anything Alpine or Kicker makes. I have an e12K and it's very comparable (no, I mean directly comparable) to JL's W6. BTW, I've had this sub now for 2 years, I have pounded the $hit out it the entire time, and it sounds every bit as good now as it did the day I installed it. If you ask me, Kicker subs are garbage and the best thing to do with them is kick them out of your vehicle! All they're good for is SPL, their SQ is crap. The Alpines are are okay, but they don't anything any better than any of the other Circuit City brands. Do yourself a favor, buy an ED, you'll end up with a better sub and $100 or more still left in your wallet!

Senior Member Registered Member
    I don't know where you guys are getting your info, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. ED makes awesome subs (even more awesome considering the price). ANY sub they make, even their entry level subs are far better than anything Alpine or Kicker makes. I have an e12K and it's very comparable (no, I mean directly comparable) to JL's W6. BTW, I've had this sub now for 2 years, I have pounded the $hit out it the entire time, and it sounds every bit as good now as it did the day I installed it. If you ask me, Kicker subs are garbage and the best thing to do with them is kick them out of your vehicle! All they're good for is SPL, their SQ is crap. The Alpines are are okay, but they don't anything any better than any of the other Circuit City brands. Do yourself a favor, buy an ED, you'll end up with a better sub and $100 or more still left in your wallet!
    You're happy with your eD sub, I see...good for you. Just because you're happy with it don't start talking crap about all the other brands and thinking eD is the right way to go for everybody. Proclaiming "eD is the best!" is not the best way to start off on this forum, because as you may have noticed there's not too many eD lovers in here...I myself have no personal experience with them, but I'd rather just buy from a company who's business ethics aren't constantly in question(www.adireaudio.com) ...

Quote Originally Posted by phrozen5100
    You're happy with your eD sub, I see...good for you. Just because you're happy with it don't start talking crap about all the other brands and thinking eD is the right way to go for everybody. Proclaiming "eD is the best!" is not the best way to start off on this forum, because as you may have noticed there's not too many eD lovers in here...I myself have no personal experience with them, but I'd rather just buy from a company who's business ethics aren't constantly in question(www.adireaudio.com) ...
    I don't believe you'll find anywhere in my post where I said ED's sub's were the best. I will say for the money, they're hard to beat. Also, talking crap in my book means saying things that aren't true, or commenting on something you know nothing about. Not the case here. Anybody who knows anything about subs will tell you Kicker subs are not even close to being high end. They're cheap subs for someone looking to put some bang in their vehicle without caring about SQ. The Alpines are a little better, but again, they aren't any better than any of the other brands you'll typically find at CC. ED's subs are superior to any Kicker or Alpine subs and I'm not just saying that because I have one. I've been in many car audio forums and anyone in those forums whose experinced these subs will tell you the same thing. I noticed you listed Adire's web site. They also make some good subs (also a far sight better than Kickers or Alpines). I have a Tempest as a home theater sub, and the Shiva was my second choice for my car sub. I chose the e12k over the Shiva because it sounded slightly better and played a bit louder than the Shiva in a smaller sealed enclosure.

You are right about ED having some customer service issues. They are a relatively new company and from what I've heard, they have since resolved these issues. All new companies go through their initial teething problems, and ED is no exception.

You are right about ED having some customer service issues. They are a relatively new company and from what I've heard, they have since resolved these issues. All new companies go through their initial teething problems, and ED is no exception.
    nope. eD is getting worse.

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2192
    read thread.

I think it would be a good idea to do a little research on eD before you go parading their subs around.

btw, feel free to go tell those guys at splbassx how good eD subs are.

Senior Member Registered Member
    I'm not sure what Kicker setups you've been listening to, but most Kicker subs are not just SPL subs - they do have a tendency to be more SPL than SQ, though. Type-R's are pretty good, nothing too great for the money IMO. eD seems to have trouble getting the products out when they say they will, which is the main reason I wouldn't want to buy from them. Most car audio forums are biased towards and against a few brands...this one is no different.

ED isn't getting better, it's getting worse.

I'll admit, some of their products are good considering what you pay.

The biggest problems with ED concern the terrible failure of their flagship speaker, their inflated ratings and specs on products, the constant pushing back of the pre-order shipping date, and the fact that the owner is a hypocritical ass.

I can't count the number of reports of the former of the ED 12A and 15A coming loose from the cone. Not to mention the "cone" weighed close to twice as much as ED claimed it did because of the aluminum backing plate they had to add to maintain stiffness. The A also wasn't capable of the Xmax that ED said it was capable of. The Dumax of the woofer proved that. Although I hear the cone of the A series makes a good frisbie.

Now their buildhouse problems (which have plagued them since their incarnation) are causing them to lose business.

Plus Ben will say one thing one day, and another a week later, and claim he never said what he origionally said, or say it was taken out of text. He also tries to challenge some of the best minds in the business (Dan Wiggens), saying they are wrong, and that his designs live up to his claims.

I will never recommend ED, never use them, and most likely put them on my "like" list unless there is a change of ownership and a correction of their management and morals.

Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    nope. eD is getting worse.

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2192
    read thread.

I think it would be a good idea to do a little research on eD before you go parading their subs around.

btw, feel free to go tell those guys at splbassx how good eD subs are.
    I could give a rat's a$$ what the kids at splbassx think about ED subs. I have an e12k and I've heard the Kicker and Alpine subs and I can tell you the ED is superior.

I could give a rat's a$$ what the kids at splbassx think about ED subs. I have an e12k and I've heard the Kicker and Alpine subs and I can tell you the ED is superior.
    wow, good for you.

now, address Stroker's post.

Name one issue stroker mentioned that hasn't been a problem for every manfacturer. At one time or another, every company has built drivers with high faliure rates, or one that doesn't have the xmax numbers they claimed it would have, or one that wasn't released when they said it would be. ED hasn't gone through any problems any of the other companies haven't gone through.

Name one issue stroker mentioned that hasn't been a problem for every manfacturer. At one time or another, every company has built drivers with high faliure rates, or one that doesn't have the xmax numbers they claimed it would have, or one that wasn't released when they said it would be. ED hasn't gone through any problems any of the other companies haven't gone through.
    Im willing to bet that Adire or RE never had high-failure rates or false information reagarding T/S parameters. A good company won't produce or advertise their product, until they are 110% sure that it is the best they can make it.

What about customer service and company morals? A big, big problem with eD is the owner, Ben. Despite having all these problems, he won't do anything to fix them, and he flat out denys they exist. Had you read through the link I posted, you would know what Im talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    Im willing to bet that Adire or RE never had high-failure rates or false information reagarding T/S parameters. A good company won't produce or advertise their product, until they are 110% sure that it is the best they can make it.

What about customer service and company morals? A big, big problem with eD is the owner, Ben. Despite having all these problems, he won't do anything to fix them, and he flat out denys they exist. Had you read through the link I posted, you would know what Im talking about.
    I had no idea there was still this much crap going on with ED. I must have ordered my sub from them at just the right time because I had no trouble getting it, nor have I had any problems with the driver. It's performed flawlessly.

I'd be willing to bet those companies did go through high failure rates and misinformation regarding T/S parameters, but probably not to the same extent.

I can name a company that used to produce high quality components and had excellent customer service, but now produces garbage and has a non-existant customer service. Sony. I've purchased several Sony components over the last 10 years or so and all of them bit the bullet after a very short operational life and Sony won't even talk to me about these components (that is, if you can get through the automated crap on the phone to actually speak to a real person). I only brought up the Sony thing to show that it can happen with any company.

That said, from what I read in your link, I would have to retract my recommendation. I would recommend them if it were possible to make your purchase when I did. Mine has easily been the best sub I've ever had, and I've had a lot of them.

I had no idea there was still this much crap going on with ED. I must have ordered my sub from them at just the right time because I had no trouble getting it, nor have I had any problems with the driver. It's performed flawlessly.

I'd be willing to bet those companies did go through high failure rates and misinformation regarding T/S parameters, but probably not to the same extent.

I can name a company that used to produce high quality components and had excellent customer service, but now produces garbage and has a non-existant customer service. Sony. I've purchased several Sony components over the last 10 years or so and all of them bit the bullet after a very short operational life and Sony won't even talk to me about these components (that is, if you can get through the automated crap on the phone to actually speak to a real person). I only brought up the Sony thing to show that it can happen with any company.

That said, from what I read in your link, I would have to retract my recommendation. I would recommend them if it were possible to make your purchase when I did. Mine has easily been the best sub I've ever had, and I've had a lot of them.

Yeah, your definatly one of the lucky few
    Last edited by -dh-; 08-13-2004 at 16:05.

It's true that all manufacturers have had problems. But rarely on the scare that the A series failed. The first few batches of Brahmas had a tinsel slap problem. That problem has since been solved, and you rarely hear of that problem anymore. The origional design of the MTX Thunder 8000 had a surround problem where the surround would split right down the middle, they redesigned that part of the sub and there were very few surround problems with that line after. ED did nothing to fix the cone/former seperation problem. Yes, they did do a lot of repairs, but they didn't do much to prevent that from happening. Recently they redisigned the cone to the traditional style until the Av2 comes out.

Yes, I agree that most other companies have gone though the same problems ED has gone though, but never on the extent that ED has, and never all at once like ED has.

Thread Information