Junior Member Registered Member

Can I do this? Installation into classic car...

Hey all

I'm needing to install a stereo into my 'new' 62 caddy.
    I want to leave the old factory radio for looks only.

What I want to do is connect a portable MP3 player directly to an amp with speakers.
    Is this possible? I'm assuming it is but would like to hear some suggestions/problems.

Nothing big here, just so I can have some cruising tunes, car has some nice looking boston accoustics 6x9s in it...not sure they sound good or not...

thanks for any input or suggestions.

bryan

Practical Audio Guru Site Moderator CT!!'s Avatar
    You bet. You may want to look into a Line Driver to boost the weak signal that the MP3 player will most likely be outputting. You can see an example here:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOTLD22

They are not all that spendy, but any basic line driver will probably be better then the raw signal from the MP3 player. However, it wouldn't hurt to try it out before deciding to pick one up.

Connection wise, a simple 3.5mm jack to RCA cable adapter cable would be fine. You adjust the gain pot on the amplifier for the signal strength of the MP3 device. Here's where the line driver comes in...since using a device with such a low voltage output, you are going to have to jack those gains up pretty strong to maintain performance. Unless you have a uber quality amp, what you may be up against is system noise. Inputting a line driver in the signal chain will boost that small signal to a stronger one so you can lower those gains.

A generic one for your usage will likely cost around $30-60 depending where you shop.
    You are NOT your audio logo. It's a means to an end, people!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Junior Member Registered Member

cool

Thanks for the info...I'll check that out...I don't have any of the stuff yet but have been looking for an excuse to buy a mp3 player anyway.
    I even have a cool old ashtray pull out to mount the mp3 player in to hide it

thanks

b

Senior Member Registered Member
    i was flipping thought his car audio mag. i think its called 12 volt and i saw an ad for a company that makes kits that allow a after market radio to be installed while maintaning the factory radio in its locatio, i saw a lexus that had this and i never even knew he had a radio behind it until he showed me

Thread Information