Junior Member Registered Member

Looking for a nice sounding system, not a LOUD system

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole car audio scene. I'm not even sure where to search for information. So knowledge and/or links would be appreciated. I own a 1991 S15 Jimmy S/T and am looking for a decent sounding system. Right now, I have a Pioneer DVH-P5000MP HU and a pair of Audiobahn 6x9's (AS69C). I think those will provide me with all the bass I need, i'm not looking to be loud. But I dont know what kind of amp and front 4x6's to go with. I'm willing to spend some money, so any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Your home for personal webservers that are able to be hosted off of YOUR high speed internet, using tried and true XBOX hardware.

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuddy117
    Hey guys, I'm new to the whole car audio scene. I'm not even sure where to search for information. So knowledge and/or links would be appreciated. I own a 1991 S15 Jimmy S/T and am looking for a decent sounding system. Right now, I have a Pioneer DVH-P5000MP HU and a pair of Audiobahn 6x9's (AS69C). I think those will provide me with all the bass I need, i'm not looking to be loud. But I dont know what kind of amp and front 4x6's to go with. I'm willing to spend some money, so any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks.
    If you want a great sounding system, scrap the 4x6 idea and get some component speakers. Infinity Kappa, Boston Acoustics, Diamond Audio, and the pricey Adire Kodas are great speakers. Make sure to get an amplifier for them, as most decks cannot adequately power a set of components.. If you have your heart set on the stock speaker sizes, Infinity and Alpine make some great speakers and plates. Either way, putting an external amplifier to both them and your Audiobahns will dramatically improve your sound quality.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    If you want a great sounding system, scrap the 4x6 idea and get some component speakers. Infinity Kappa, Boston Acoustics, Diamond Audio, and the pricey Adire Kodas are great speakers. Make sure to get an amplifier for them, as most decks cannot adequately power a set of components.. If you have your heart set on the stock speaker sizes, Infinity and Alpine make some great speakers and plates. Either way, putting an external amplifier to both them and your Audiobahns will dramatically improve your sound quality.

~FordX
    MB Quart, JL, Focal are also good companies to look at for good speakers.

Also add the new Cerwin Vega V-Mags to the list of quality 4x6 speakers.

For amps, stay away from companies like Sony, Audiobahn, Pyle, and Lanzar.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    MB Quart, JL, Focal are also good companies to look at for good speakers.

Also add the new Cerwin Vega V-Mags to the list of quality 4x6 speakers.

For amps, stay away from companies like Sony, Audiobahn, Pyle, and Lanzar.

Hey hey, let's not start dissin' on Lanzar! It's a good budget brand...Sony amps are pretty cool when they xplod. I suppose if you wanted a good mirror/amp combo the Audiobahn amps wouldn't be so bad...

If I were you, I'd probably buy a Hifonics ZX4400 (4 x 55w @ 4 ohms) or perhaps a Soundstream XTA360.4 (45w x 4 @ 4 ohms).

Quote Originally Posted by phrozen5100
    Hey hey, let's not start dissin' on Lanzar! It's a good budget brand

Ok, I'll give them that. They get the job done for cheap, but they are also quite over-rated.

Junior Member Registered Member
    I guess i'm a little confused. The front spots in my Jimmy require 4x6's. How would I put bigger ones in the front without any room? Thanks for the advice regarding those amp brands, I wasn't sure if I should stay away from audiobahn or not. I'm looking to tuck the amp up and under my rear seat to be as discrete as possible, I'm not looking to show off at all. So good ugly amps would be great!

Chad

*Edit* What if I got two 2channel amps instead of one 4channel? That way I could put one amp on either side of the transmission tunnel under the seat, and when the seat is folded down it won't interfere. Or is that cost prohibitive?
    Last edited by chuddy117; 07-07-2004 at 18:19.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Your home for personal webservers that are able to be hosted off of YOUR high speed internet, using tried and true XBOX hardware.

Well, what do you usually have to do to get something to fit? Do some cutting. open the holes up a little so you can fint a 6.5" round woofer. If you ever want to sell the vehicle and put the stock speakers back in, all you have to do is grab some cheap sheet metal or similar and make a mounting bracket for the old speaker.

I wouldn't say a pair of 2 channel amps would be cost prohibitive, although they will cost more than a single 4 channel. My personal favorite amp maker is MTX. They're pretty high quality for a decent price. They're not top of the line, and they're not the cheapest, but they have the best performance-to-price ratio of most amps out there IMO.

Thread Information