Junior Member Registered Member

Which subs with an old Punch 75???

Welcome me to your cool message board! What a great resource!!!
    I've been out of the car-fi scene for quite a while now but reading this board gets me excited to get back into it.

I'm driving a NON-flashy non-performance chevy Prism. That said, I want my audio performance back. Everything is stock in this car and here's what I have on my work bench:

scratch that. I'll get to all that another time. For now what I need to know is this; WHAT SUBS WILL BE A NICE MATCH TO THE OLD PUNCH 75 AMP THAT I HAVE? That amp used to power Alpine components in the front, pioneer 4-way 6x9's and 2 - 12" Alpine subs sealed without sweating. I liked the tight bass that I got from the subs (probably $150 for the pair of Alpines around 93' or 94). I listen to a wide variety of music but I'd say that I want them geared towards rock/pop. Now I think I want to dedicate that amp to subs and run some new components with a separate amp.

Ideas for my subs that won't break the bank??? Thanks!

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw_sound
    Welcome me to your cool message board! What a great resource!!!
    I've been out of the car-fi scene for quite a while now but reading this board gets me excited to get back into it.

I'm driving a NON-flashy non-performance chevy Prism. That said, I want my audio performance back. Everything is stock in this car and here's what I have on my work bench:

scratch that. I'll get to all that another time. For now what I need to know is this; WHAT SUBS WILL BE A NICE MATCH TO THE OLD PUNCH 75 AMP THAT I HAVE? That amp used to power Alpine components in the front, pioneer 4-way 6x9's and 2 - 12" Alpine subs sealed without sweating. I liked the tight bass that I got from the subs (probably $150 for the pair of Alpines around 93' or 94). I listen to a wide variety of music but I'd say that I want them geared towards rock/pop. Now I think I want to dedicate that amp to subs and run some new components with a separate amp.

Ideas for my subs that won't break the bank??? Thanks!
    What are the power ratings on the amp? And how much you talking about spending, because everyone has a different definition of "break the bank"?
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...705629272&rd=1

This is the same amp that I have. Ebay Item number was : 5705629272 in case the link doesn't work for some reason. It's rated at 37.5 / channel but that's under rated if I remember correctly.

I'd like to stay under $200. Thank you!

That amp is really too small to push a sub. Compared to todays standards, it's too small for most component speakers.

The rating on that amp 125 watts per channel, was most likely at 2 ohms, and it was rated at 15.7 volts, which even most upgraded electrical systems are incapable of.

My suggestion would either be to use that for your component speakers, or get a 4 channel amp to drive the sub and component speakers.

As for a cheap sub: Adire Audio Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    That amp is really too small to push a sub. Compared to todays standards, it's too small for most component speakers.

The rating on that amp 125 watts per channel, was most likely at 2 ohms, and it was rated at 15.7 volts, which even most upgraded electrical systems are incapable of.

My suggestion would either be to use that for your component speakers, or get a 4 channel amp to drive the sub and component speakers.

As for a cheap sub: Adire Audio Shiva

Interesting. That amp always seemed to push all three sets of speakers (Alpine components, 2 Alpine subs in sealed box and 6x9's) pretty well on its own in my old car. I thought that if I just bridged it mono for subs alone, it would surely do well. No?

Interesting. That amp always seemed to push all three sets of speakers (Alpine components, 2 Alpine subs in sealed box and 6x9's) pretty well on its own in my old car. I thought that if I just bridged it mono for subs alone, it would surely do well. No?

Please don't tell me you had them all wired up at once to the amp.

Well, it still could be used for a sub amp, but you'll have to find a super effecient sub to push. That pretty much limits you to most companies bottom line subs. There are very few high effeciency high end subs. The JL W0 could work with that amp.

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Please don't tell me you had them all wired up at once to the amp.

Well, it still could be used for a sub amp, but you'll have to find a super effecient sub to push. That pretty much limits you to most companies bottom line subs. There are very few high effeciency high end subs. The JL W0 could work with that amp.
    Yeah, all those speakers were hooked up at the same time for about 10 years and I played the hell out of that system. Never even had a glitch! Took the system out only because the car bought the farm. What are the implications? I know that it's only a 2-channel but that's the way that the people who installed it set it up (not that that means it's right). Must have been bottom of the line Alpine 12's that I had.

Yeah, all those speakers were hooked up at the same time for about 10 years and I played the hell out of that system. Never even had a glitch! Took the system out only because the car bought the farm. What are the implications? I know that it's only a 2-channel but that's the way that the people who installed it set it up (not that that means it's right). Must have been bottom of the line Alpine 12's that I had.
    Methinks the guy who wired them up is a bonehead. I can't see a way to wire components, 6x9s, AND subs off a single 2 channel amp, still maintain a stable ohm load, and get good sound. I would never try something like that.

Thread Information