Junior Member Registered Member

$2000 to drop...

I'm new to car audio so I just have a basic knowledge of the components. I drive a 2000 Focus ZX3 and I have $2000 to drop on a system. Everything is factory as of now, and I was wondering if I could get a little help. I listen to a lot of rap, so a bass-heavy system is essential. plz help. thx.
    p.s. (how much can I expect to pay to have it installed)

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kainrally
    I'm new to car audio so I just have a basic knowledge of the components. I drive a 2000 Focus ZX3 and I have $2000 to drop on a system. Everything is factory as of now, and I was wondering if I could get a little help. I listen to a lot of rap, so a bass-heavy system is essential. plz help. thx.
    p.s. (how much can I expect to pay to have it installed)

Well, for 2 grand you can get a great setup, but you can get a really good one for way less than 2.

Also, Install isn't very hard to do at all, and you'll save yourself a bundle.

Would help out more, but i gotta run

Hess.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    I'll take a shot at it:

HU: Clarion DXZ645MP
    Components: JL XR series (whatever fits your car)
    Component amp: MTX Thunder 502
    Sub: Adire Audio Brahma 15"
    Sub Amp: Hifonics Brutus 1500D
    Get whatever your local shop carries for wires and interconnects, wire is wire, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Build the enclosure out of 3/4" MDF

Do the install yourself, you'll save yourself at least $200 for an install like this. If you need help ask us here on the forum, or if you have MSN Messenger, you can hit me up there and I'll help as much as I can.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

systems are a waste of time and money they get stollen they break theyre time consuming to install and setup right. you should put that money into performance parts for your car the stock focus radio isnt that bad.. you could also save or invest the money

Quote Originally Posted by inteva6184
    systems are a waste of time and money they get stollen they break theyre time consuming to install and setup right. you should put that money into performance parts for your car the stock focus radio isnt that bad.. you could also save or invest the money
    If that is what you truly believe, then you are one of the few people on this forum who thinks so. $2000.00 will get you far more with car audio equipment than it would with performance parts. $2000.00 will get you quite a bit if you spend it wisely; your setup just depends on what you're aiming for sound-wise. I don't really feel like thinking up a whole system for you just now but I might later.

how can you say you can get more outa 2000 for audio then performance theyre totally different things 2000 you can make a car pretty damn fast

how can you say you can get more outa 2000 for audio then performance theyre totally different things 2000 you can make a car pretty damn fast
    You can also make a car pretty damn loud as well, which, I believe, is what his intention is, not performance.

i dont think he said he wanted it loud he just wants one that plays bass well so youre just assuming he wants to thump around

i dont think he said he wanted it loud he just wants one that plays bass well so youre just assuming he wants to thump around

No, actually I'm not just assuming that, I was going along with what you were saying. Pretty damn fast, pretty damn loud, see where I was going there.

but they are two different things i dont think pretty damn should make people assume the are the same thing. if i said youre pretty damn ugly and i said easy is pretty damn hot that doesnt meen youre the same. i dont understand your logic

but they are two different things i dont think pretty damn should make people assume the are the same thing. if i said youre pretty damn ugly and i said easy is pretty damn hot that doesnt meen youre the same. i dont understand your logic

I don't know what the hell you're bantering on about, but I think you've lost the point of this thread. He wants to know what would be good equipment for a system that he can afford with $2000. He didn't ask "What should I do with the $2000 I have, save it? audio system? performance parts?".

And you're analogy of me vs easy doesn't make any sense at all. Pretty damn refers to quite a bit, a lot, very much of, no matter what you're applying it to, it refers to a large amount. So whether we're talking loud, fast, hot, or ugly, pretty damn has the same effect.

Now, he can do a lot more with $2000 audio wise than he can do with $2000 performance wise. With $2000 and the right equipment, he could easily attain 150, maybe 155 db, possibly even 160, who knows. With $2000 and the right equipment, he might be able to make a 13-14 second car. But, once again, that's not his goal, a "bass-heavy system " is his goal.

As for systems getting stolen, yeah that's true, it's a risk we all take, it's part of the game. But a suped-up street racer is just as big of a target. If it can't be stolen, it will be damaged. Either option has equal risk of theft and vandalism. So hat ever happened to your system that has caused you to be so bitter, it didn't need to be vented on this thread.
    Last edited by CVStroker; 07-07-2004 at 14:30.

youre such a nerd. stop taking audio so seriously. i hate when people are hardcore audio nerds and have junk to back up their nerdish obsession

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    youre such a nerd. stop taking audio so seriously. i hate when people are hardcore audio nerds and have junk to back up their nerdish obsession
    Hey, don't be hatin him because he knows more about car audio than you could dream of knowing.

Why can't you just keep your mouth shut when you have nothing to add to the thread. And is it too hard to even stay on topic? Come on...
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

just out of curiosity dh how do you know he knows more than me? cause he always preaches brahma and re cv and mtx hes no dumby but hes no audio god either? just wondering. anyways i was just busting his balls and i wanted to see what audio nerds would stay true and be like performance is stupid so are you dont listen to him buy adire kodas an re xxx and some e dead.

just out of curiosity dh how do you know he knows more than me? cause he always preaches brahma and re cv and mtx hes no dumby but hes no audio god either? just wondering. anyways i was just busting his balls and i wanted to see what audio nerds would stay true and be like performance is stupid so are you dont listen to him buy adire kodas an re xxx and some e dead.
    -dh- , Inteva here does know more about audio than I (but I'm catching him).

Inteva, I have nothing against performance. Hell, I want to get rid of my Grand Prix in favor of a Camaro or Firebird because the Grand Prix is just too slow. I love a blown-Hemi powered Dodge Charger (actually I prefer the GTO to the Charger, but I doubt anyone cares) as much as the next guy, but, like i said, he was asking about audio, not performance (I think I've established that). I would go to a NASCAR Nextel Cup race before I would go to the DB Drag finals anyday. I just don't like the Fast & Furious-esque performance upgrades. Because we all know how awesome a Honda Civic with nitrous and a 4" exhause cap is.

My reasoning for the JL XRs is because they are very mediocre speakers. In that I mean they have good tweeters, not overpowering, not too laid back. They have good midrange and midbass, nothing compared to Kodas, but it's still quite nice. I prefer MB Quarts, others prefer Kodas. Actually I prefer the MBQ tweeter and the Koda woofer. the MBQ woofer has no midbass (at least the way I have it installed right now, which is crappily), and the Koda tweeter is too anemic for me.

RE XXX, Adire Brahma, both are equal IMO, he could use either and it wouldn't phase me one bit. Both employ XBL^2, both have the same power ratings, both have the same capabilities. I just like the look of the Brahma more.

I recommended Second Skin because it's well priced, easy to get, and Anthony (owner of SS) is one hell of a great guy. He's very helpful and understanding for those who don't know what they're doing, and he's very impartial if someone asks about a competitors product. I have 5 gallons of SS Spectrum deadener sitting in my garage right now, I just haven't put it in my car yet because I haven't had the motivation (long story, don't wanna talk about it). I will be sure to post a review of it after I get it in my car.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    I shut up now
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

im smarter then you? ok if you say so lol

im smarter then you? ok if you say so lol
    Well, maybe not anymore. Who knows, you aren't around enough anymore to see who knows their stuff.

thx

thx for all the help... any more suggestions?
    Also... will I need to purchase an additional battery.. how bad is the drain?

thxz again

Quote Originally Posted by kainrally
    thx for all the help... any more suggestions?
    Also... will I need to purchase an additional battery.. how bad is the drain?

thxz again

That is dependant on your vehicle. You need to upgrade your big 3 wires, and adding an Optima Yellow Top battery would be a good move as well. If your car doesn't have a very big alternator to begin with, you might have to think about upgrading that as well.

Also...

With CVStroker's suggestion I was curious whether or not dual 15" Brahma subs would be realistic, and if so would that require a more powerful amp and therefore resulting in a higher battery drain?

Thread Information