Junior Member Registered Member

2004 Ford Explorer Rear Axle Problem

Hi all. I wanted to know if anyone has any advice or if this problem has happened to you. We have a V8 2004 Ford Explorer that we bought in August of 2003 and we have to get a new rear axle put on which fortunately is covered under warranty. I haul my bumper pull 2 horse trailer about 2x monthly (since Oct 2003) with my 1200lb Quarter Horse loaded. How could this happen to a new car? Is it my fault for expecting it to haul my trailer? I know other people who haul their horses with Explorer's and have never had any problems. Is this car of ours a lemon? I would like to know what you all think! Thanks!!!

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    Might want to take a look at the guy down the page who had trouble with a 2002 Explorer as it seems like some of them have been having axle difficulties. Maybe yours was a bit of a fluke, but not an uncommon one. Chances are, though, if this is a manufacturing defect the axle will either be able to pull a trailer with no problem or will break without the trailer.

2003 explorer needs third rear axle

My 2003 explorer XLT, with towing package, needed a new rear axle assembly during warrenty period at 34,000 miles. The replacement axle failed again at 45,000 miles. Ford refuses to pay for the third new axle assembly. It seems to me that Ford replaced the first defective axle with a second defective axle and should be responsible. I've never towed anything with this vehicle and most miles on this vehicle are highway.

Oops...Dropped It! Registered Member BlueZQ8's Avatar
    That sucks about your problems with the axles. What do your trucks come with, the 8.8"? Maybe some of the 4x4 guys could help answer some questions better for you, since they generally go through a lot more axles then most people. I find http://bb.bc4x4.com/ to be another useful source of information if no one here can help you.
    Later.

2003 Ford Explorer rear axle replacement

Hi,
    Our 2003 Ford Explorer has been at the dealer for a week. It was flatbeded away last Tuesday and was diagnosed with a problem with the rear axle. I believe he said I popped a disc. We have never hauled anything. This is the second time the rear axle is being replaced. It was taken in last January (2004) because of a whining noise any time it was driven over 50 mph. At that point they supposedly replaced the rear axle. The dealer that I am using now said they 'replace the whole part' they don't "piece things together." I would say he is implying that the last time it was done half-ass. Now we are concered about keeping this car although to get rid of it we would be taking a financial lost...but we feel that when the whole computer had to be replaced when it was 5 days old...that it was just a lemon to start. Of course we joke that it is because I had to have red! This whole situation has left me feeling bad about Ford...I have to "beg" them for a rental because I don't have an extended warrantee...but why should I need to purchase an extended warrantee unless you are telling me that you have a faulty product! After reading the post that someone is already on their third rear axle replacement, I figure the financial lost may be less if I get rid of the car now. Any thoughts on whether you believe that they can actually repair this problem?

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi8898
    Hi,
    Our 2003 Ford Explorer has been at the dealer for a week. It was flatbeded away last Tuesday and was diagnosed with a problem with the rear axle. I believe he said I popped a disc. We have never hauled anything. This is the second time the rear axle is being replaced. It was taken in last January (2004) because of a whining noise any time it was driven over 50 mph. At that point they supposedly replaced the rear axle. The dealer that I am using now said they 'replace the whole part' they don't "piece things together." I would say he is implying that the last time it was done half-ass. Now we are concered about keeping this car although to get rid of it we would be taking a financial lost...but we feel that when the whole computer had to be replaced when it was 5 days old...that it was just a lemon to start. Of course we joke that it is because I had to have red! This whole situation has left me feeling bad about Ford...I have to "beg" them for a rental because I don't have an extended warrantee...but why should I need to purchase an extended warrantee unless you are telling me that you have a faulty product! After reading the post that someone is already on their third rear axle replacement, I figure the financial lost may be less if I get rid of the car now. Any thoughts on whether you believe that they can actually repair this problem?

Thanks for any help!
    See similar post under "2002 Explorer". My 2003 Eddie Bauer has had similar axle issues (3.73 rear axle with trailer towing package and Class III hitch). I have never towed anything with it. First repair was rear differential's limited slip clutch packs. Next repair is complete rear differential. Symptoms include whining sound 65-75 mph especially as you lift off gas. I know what you mean about extended warranty, but mine came with one as a used vehicle (did not pay extra). SUV's in general tend to be high maintenance.

2004 explorer rear axle problem

Hi,
    I have been reading the various rear axle problems and I guess I'm in the same boat.
    I have a 2004 V8 4x4 and have a growling sound from the rear axle. It seems more
    pronounced when I let off the gas. The vehicle is still under warranty until mid June
    but I'm fearful Ford may not honor the contract because
    I changed the rear axle oil myself which was interesting. It called for 75W-90 synthetic lube.
    Ford said that was changed to 75-140 synthetic and they no longer use 75W-90.
    I DO NOT have a minimum slip axle. Why the change in oil????
    The old oil was right up to the fill hole and when I drained same, I could see lots of
    little shiny pieces of metal so I saved some for Ford to see.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Troubleshooter

Thread Information