Junior Member Registered Member

Building an SQ system starting with the sub...

While I've been satisified with my system for a couple of years, I've decided to build it into a good SQ system. My head unit is going to stay the same (JVC KD-AR5000), and I haven't decided what to do for components yet, so that leaves the sub and its amp to change around. Basically, I'm only going to consider products from the following brands because I can get them at wholesale: Ample, Audiobahn, JVC, Kicker, MA Audio, Power Acoustik, Sony and Soundstream. I've got a .7 cubic foot sealed box (JL Vantage stealthbox), so I'm also limited to whatever will work well in that.

My first choice from those brands would probably be the Soundstream VGW-10, but I might not be able to get that, so just in case I've narrowed it down to the following:

-Ample Exonic 10X
    -Audiobahn ALUM10Q
    -MA Audio MA1000XL
    -Soundstream EPRO10

I can't seem to find any good review sites that talk about these in depth, so I'm hoping someone has some insight as to which I should go with, or if there's another sub from any of the mentioned brands that I should be looking at. Amp recommendations will also be welcome, though that's not as much of a concern since I'm looking at a couple dozen different amps

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    No offense but all those brands u have mentioned dont have a real good SQ driver... Might want to look into some other brands like JL, Adire, RE, Alpine... For amps Audiobahn or MA Audio are fine just way overrated so u might wanna try something else.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Well, those are the brands to choose from, so what would you go with from those choices?

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Why do they HAVE to be from there? What would be wrong with using something better if you can still get it for a good price? There are people on this board that can get you really good deals on stuff if you're really nice to them.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Sure there are deals to be had online, but how many of those guys have a warehouse I can drive to and exchange something when it breaks with no hassle? Basically those are the brands my dad sells, and I doubt, for example, you can find a better sub than the Ample one I listed for $200, which is about what I can get it for. I hope I don't sound like an ass, but I wasn't kidding, those are the brands I've got to pick from

Quote Originally Posted by commodore_dude
    Sure there are deals to be had online, but how many of those guys have a warehouse I can drive to and exchange something when it breaks with no hassle? Basically those are the brands my dad sells, and I doubt, for example, you can find a better sub than the Ample one I listed for $200, which is about what I can get it for. I hope I don't sound like an ass, but I wasn't kidding, those are the brands I've got to pick from

If that's how you wanna do it, by all means, go for it.

However, if you were willing to spend $30 more, you could get an Adire Koda10 which would beat the snot out of the sub in SQ, and probably SPL.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/StockProdu...rs.htm#KodaSub

From your list however, I see you can chose from Kicker as well, if you can get a Comp VR, or even an L5, those would probably be the best sub you can get from any company in that list.

I didn't realize the Comp VR was a good one, but if it is I'd certainly be interested because it's pretty cheap. Now, assuming I could get the Soundstream Van Gogh 10", would that be a good sub? Also, if a Solo-Baric would be much better, I could get a pair of 10" L7s (may as well go with 2 if I'm getting a new box anyway). So basically:

-Kicker Comp VR
    -Kicker Solo-Baric L7
    -Soundstream Van Gogh

I'm guessing you'll say the L7, which is going to hurt my wallet a lot but hey, if it sounds the best...

Yes, the L7 is a good sub. But if you don't feel like spending that much, use the L5, it's very comparable to the L7, just can't handle as much power. This years L5 is almost a carbon copy of the L7 from 2 years ago, just a little bit smaller coil.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Hate to break it to you but none of those subs are really SQ subs. L7 was made to be a SPL sub mostly the L5 is similar. The Comp VR is a lower line so its not a SQ sub either but shouldnt sound bad. Basically your not going to get realy good SQ out of any of those subs, well its possible but its hard...
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Hate to break it to you but none of those subs are really SQ subs. L7 was made to be a SPL sub mostly the L5 is similar. The Comp VR is a lower line so its not a SQ sub either but shouldnt sound bad. Basically your not going to get realy good SQ out of any of those subs, well its possible but its hard...
    I was trying to say, from my experience, The Comp VRs will give him the best SQ from anything on the list. The L5s will also have decent SQ, not as good as the CVRs, but it will have greater output.

Thread Information