Junior Member Registered Member

What's the hype about 4volt pre-outs?

Like I said in my first post, I'm trying to play catch up here. I understand the concept of 4 volt pre-outs but do they really make that big of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw_sound
    Like I said in my first post, I'm trying to play catch up here. I understand the concept of 4 volt pre-outs but do they really make that big of a difference?

So I guess this is a stupid question?

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw_sound
    So I guess this is a stupid question?
    No, people on this forum are just too damn lazy to answer you...

Increasing the strenth of the signal going to your amps will benefit you in a few ways: it means you can turn your gains down, which results in less background hiss from your speakers. It also gives your amps a little more headroom, I believe, so that they can reproduve transient peaks better. It also means your amps should run more efficiently (less heat), and probably increases their lifespan somewhat.

This is how I understand it, anyway. I went from 2V to 4V preouts, and I noticed a big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    No, people on this forum are just too damn lazy to answer you...

Increasing the strenth of the signal going to your amps will benefit you in a few ways: it means you can turn your gains down, which results in less background hiss from your speakers. It also gives your amps a little more headroom, I believe, so that they can reproduve transient peaks better. It also means your amps should run more efficiently (less heat), and probably increases their lifespan somewhat.

This is how I understand it, anyway. I went from 2V to 4V preouts, and I noticed a big difference...
    Sweet! Thanks a lot for not being lazy.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Yeah, even though I upgraded my components too, I still noticed a difference going from my 4 volt Alpine to my 8 volt Eclipse. I upgraded to Koda's so that improved the sound right away, but the Eclipse puts out an incredibly strong and clean signal.

Thread Information