Hybrid View

Member Registered Member HigHRollerZAudio's Avatar

question about rockford subs...

ok my question is i am going to buy a suv hopefully a 1994 jeep grand sport... for a just a spl sound toy.. i was wondering i want to hit at least the high 150 or the low 160 or higher i am going to take at the back set and i am going to put dynomat to up the spl to.. i was wondering if i would get more spl from 4 15" rockford fosgate hx2 or 6 12" he2 i don't want to spend more then $650 on the subs on ebay including shipping.. i am running 2 jbl bp1200.1 amps for the subs and a jbl 80.4 to the comp set up front..... i want to show people that u don;t have to spend $3000 to throw high db..... also how big do u think the enclosures need to be for the subs to get the best spl....i want something that will shake cars blocks away... and people down the road to turn there heads before they even see me.. also should i go with ported or sloted.......

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HigHRollerZAudio
    ok my question is i am going to buy a suv hopefully a 1994 jeep grand sport... for a just a spl sound toy.. i was wondering i want to hit at least the high 150 or the low 160 or higher i am going to take at the back set and i am going to put dynomat to up the spl to.. i was wondering if i would get more spl from 4 15" rockford fosgate hx2 or 6 12" he2 i don't want to spend more then $650 on the subs on ebay including shipping.. i am running 2 jbl bp1200.1 amps for the subs and a jbl 80.4 to the comp set up front..... i want to show people that u don;t have to spend $3000 to throw high db..... also how big do u think the enclosures need to be for the subs to get the best spl....i want something that will shake cars blocks away... and people down the road to turn there heads before they even see me.. also should i go with ported or sloted.......
    First off your using the wrong subs for lower power. I got a friend hitting 146 (On a new Term Lab which is 8db stricter then a Audiocontrol mic) in a wall wit 2 Tempests total budget $500 for everything. Not bad if u ask me. Get 4 Tempests put it in a monster wall run it a single JBL 1200.1 should be similar power when competing if u use both amps or just one. Cause of impedence rise etc. If u got any questions I am around.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member HigHRollerZAudio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    First off your using the wrong subs for lower power. I got a friend hitting 146 (On a new Term Lab which is 8db stricter then a Audiocontrol mic) in a wall wit 2 Tempests total budget $500 for everything. Not bad if u ask me. Get 4 Tempests put it in a monster wall run it a single JBL 1200.1 should be similar power when competing if u use both amps or just one. Cause of impedence rise etc. If u got any questions I am around.
    so can i use 2 jbl amp 1200.1 to the 4 subs or 6 or will it blow them.... what is a monster wall because if it is what i think it is where u can not see out of the back windows.. i can't use it because i still need to drive it plus the cops are real strict and tennessee just passed 148 more laws yesterday.. so they can pull u over for anything or for just the hell of it

Senior Member Registered Member
    haha easy you just got ignored. you could power those 4 subs with 4 of those amps

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HigHRollerZAudio
    so can i use 2 jbl amp 1200.1 to the 4 subs or 6 or will it blow them.... what is a monster wall because if it is what i think it is where u can not see out of the back windows.. i can't use it because i still need to drive it plus the cops are real strict and tennessee just passed 148 more laws yesterday.. so they can pull u over for anything or for just the hell of it
    So wait a minute. You want to design a system to hit 150/160 and still be a daily driver? You'll be deaf in less than a year, my friend, but to each his own. To get that much SPL, I'd definitely go ported (slotting is just another way to port a box). But you can definitely acheive your goal on that budget with subs other than RFs.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Funky Pups

They go BOOM like so

No, seriously, 3 Tempests with a modded MTX 1501D (or 81000D, same amp, different generation) would be my choice. Wire them parallel/parallel to a 1.33 ohm load. $450 for subs, plus $300 for the amp. It's over your budget, but I think you'd definatly get the most bang. With about 650 watts per sub, in a wall, you'll be in a good position to hit 150 dB burps.

Wont be very daily-driver-ish, because of the output, and a modded MTX 1501D doesn't like to play constantly (but you can do it, just keep it cool, may want a few fans on the heatsinks).

As for the wall, I'm almost positive they can't ticket you for having something obstructing your rear view mirror, you still have your side mirrors. Hell, with volume levels like that, your rear view mirror is gonna fall off at some point anyway.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Well maybe not a wall, take the back seat out run it all the way tothe back of hte SUV I think he can get umm maybe 20 cubes total. With out walling. That should be enough for 3-4 tempest. Keep your original amp and u should do well. And yes you will go deaf if u run this daily. Anything above 130 on a TL mic I have ear protection on. Anything above like 145 on a TL mic I dont even want to sit in the vehicle.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information