Member Registered Member HigHRollerZAudio's Avatar

question about rockford subs...

ok my question is i am going to buy a suv hopefully a 1994 jeep grand sport... for a just a spl sound toy.. i was wondering i want to hit at least the high 150 or the low 160 or higher i am going to take at the back set and i am going to put dynomat to up the spl to.. i was wondering if i would get more spl from 4 15" rockford fosgate hx2 or 6 12" he2 i don't want to spend more then $650 on the subs on ebay including shipping.. i am running 2 jbl bp1200.1 amps for the subs and a jbl 80.4 to the comp set up front..... i want to show people that u don;t have to spend $3000 to throw high db..... also how big do u think the enclosures need to be for the subs to get the best spl....i want something that will shake cars blocks away... and people down the road to turn there heads before they even see me.. also should i go with ported or sloted.......

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HigHRollerZAudio
    ok my question is i am going to buy a suv hopefully a 1994 jeep grand sport... for a just a spl sound toy.. i was wondering i want to hit at least the high 150 or the low 160 or higher i am going to take at the back set and i am going to put dynomat to up the spl to.. i was wondering if i would get more spl from 4 15" rockford fosgate hx2 or 6 12" he2 i don't want to spend more then $650 on the subs on ebay including shipping.. i am running 2 jbl bp1200.1 amps for the subs and a jbl 80.4 to the comp set up front..... i want to show people that u don;t have to spend $3000 to throw high db..... also how big do u think the enclosures need to be for the subs to get the best spl....i want something that will shake cars blocks away... and people down the road to turn there heads before they even see me.. also should i go with ported or sloted.......
    First off your using the wrong subs for lower power. I got a friend hitting 146 (On a new Term Lab which is 8db stricter then a Audiocontrol mic) in a wall wit 2 Tempests total budget $500 for everything. Not bad if u ask me. Get 4 Tempests put it in a monster wall run it a single JBL 1200.1 should be similar power when competing if u use both amps or just one. Cause of impedence rise etc. If u got any questions I am around.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    First off your using the wrong subs for lower power. I got a friend hitting 146 (On a new Term Lab which is 8db stricter then a Audiocontrol mic) in a wall wit 2 Tempests total budget $500 for everything. Not bad if u ask me. Get 4 Tempests put it in a monster wall run it a single JBL 1200.1 should be similar power when competing if u use both amps or just one. Cause of impedence rise etc. If u got any questions I am around.
    so can i use 2 jbl amp 1200.1 to the 4 subs or 6 or will it blow them.... what is a monster wall because if it is what i think it is where u can not see out of the back windows.. i can't use it because i still need to drive it plus the cops are real strict and tennessee just passed 148 more laws yesterday.. so they can pull u over for anything or for just the hell of it

Senior Member Registered Member
    haha easy you just got ignored. you could power those 4 subs with 4 of those amps

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HigHRollerZAudio
    so can i use 2 jbl amp 1200.1 to the 4 subs or 6 or will it blow them.... what is a monster wall because if it is what i think it is where u can not see out of the back windows.. i can't use it because i still need to drive it plus the cops are real strict and tennessee just passed 148 more laws yesterday.. so they can pull u over for anything or for just the hell of it
    So wait a minute. You want to design a system to hit 150/160 and still be a daily driver? You'll be deaf in less than a year, my friend, but to each his own. To get that much SPL, I'd definitely go ported (slotting is just another way to port a box). But you can definitely acheive your goal on that budget with subs other than RFs.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Funky Pups

They go BOOM like so

No, seriously, 3 Tempests with a modded MTX 1501D (or 81000D, same amp, different generation) would be my choice. Wire them parallel/parallel to a 1.33 ohm load. $450 for subs, plus $300 for the amp. It's over your budget, but I think you'd definatly get the most bang. With about 650 watts per sub, in a wall, you'll be in a good position to hit 150 dB burps.

Wont be very daily-driver-ish, because of the output, and a modded MTX 1501D doesn't like to play constantly (but you can do it, just keep it cool, may want a few fans on the heatsinks).

As for the wall, I'm almost positive they can't ticket you for having something obstructing your rear view mirror, you still have your side mirrors. Hell, with volume levels like that, your rear view mirror is gonna fall off at some point anyway.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Well maybe not a wall, take the back seat out run it all the way tothe back of hte SUV I think he can get umm maybe 20 cubes total. With out walling. That should be enough for 3-4 tempest. Keep your original amp and u should do well. And yes you will go deaf if u run this daily. Anything above 130 on a TL mic I have ear protection on. Anything above like 145 on a TL mic I dont even want to sit in the vehicle.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Well maybe not a wall, take the back seat out run it all the way tothe back of hte SUV I think he can get umm maybe 20 cubes total. With out walling. That should be enough for 3-4 tempest. Keep your original amp and u should do well. And yes you will go deaf if u run this daily. Anything above 130 on a TL mic I have ear protection on. Anything above like 145 on a TL mic I dont even want to sit in the vehicle.
    ok thanks for the help.. were do you buy these subs from on ebay or what web site sells them i .. will probley go with 4 of the and 2 of my jbl amps.. because these amp produce the kind of raw power i like.. ok if i ran these 2 amps. thatt draw 114 amps max a piece. and a jbl 80x4 amp.. what size alternator would run my amps and car.. i want to run every thing off 1 battery.....do u thank i can buy 4 of them with 600 dollars shipped..
    what compony makes them...

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Easy sells them www.easy-audio.com

They are from Adire audio, $150 a piece.

Yes, those JBL amps would work very well for a SPLish setup, but you'll have to go easy with them when you're driving around, because 600 rms is a bit much for Tempests everyday.

Well, if you're intent on only one battery, switch it out to an Optima Yellow Top. Next upgrade your big 3 wiring (do a search on the board, I'm tired of explaining it, sorry). Yo should be able to get away with your stock alternator if it's about 140 amps. If not, there are a few places online you can get high ouput alts, 200 amps would work really well for you.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Easy sells them www.easy-audio.com

They are from Adire audio, $150 a piece.

Yes, those JBL amps would work very well for a SPLish setup, but you'll have to go easy with them when you're driving around, because 600 rms is a bit much for Tempests everyday.

Well, if you're intent on only one battery, switch it out to an Optima Yellow Top. Next upgrade your big 3 wiring (do a search on the board, I'm tired of explaining it, sorry). Yo should be able to get away with your stock alternator if it's about 140 amps. If not, there are a few places online you can get high ouput alts, 200 amps would work really well for you.
    Yea running 600 watts daily is a bit much but if u arent stupid they can take it. Email me and we can talk about volume discounts. Since the website hasnt been setup for that yet I need to get around to do it.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yea running 600 watts daily is a bit much but if u arent stupid they can take it. Email me and we can talk about volume discounts. Since the website hasnt been setup for that yet I need to get around to do it.
    ok cool i will hit u up in a few months.. because i am paying cash 3000 dollars for the suv.. i will be running real low on money anyway it is a 94 jeep cherokee sport country was bought new owned buy some old people i bet u it never got over 60 mph in its life...its got about 140,000 miles on it and not a scratch or blemish on it and pefect leather interior.... do u thinks it is worth it... i do because jeeps around hear go about $2900 with 225,000 miles on them and is in fair condition... i will probley just run i amp to them.. you know for my sake because if some body pulls up to me at a red light and is bumping i have a bad thing about turing my stuff up louder if i think mine will go louder...what do they come in single coil,, or dvc 2-4-6..... i would like to get 4 2 ohm dvc's.. also i don't know if u think this is a good place to put them but.. i was thinking may be facing right at were you opening the cargo door and have the sound boucing off that.. like 2 of them on the bottom and 2 on the top.. and maybe 2 3-4 inch ports beside each sub one on each side of each sub..... also what should i tune it to.... also i have a rockford fosgate 3 way electrionic crossover going to the amp and a audiocontrol epiccenter.... also i have 36sq. feet of dynomat were would be the place to put it to get the most benefit.. how many db do u think this setup will throw up??? and for my last question.... i hooked up the 1200 watt amp to my battery charger. just to see if it works ... and the red light came on and stayed... but i did not hook up any rca or speaker wires or to a cd players remote to it. just positive to postive and neg to neg and remote to positive... so i tried the same thing to my other jbl amp the 360 watt one... it did the same thing .. and i know it works because i made my car audio store hook it up to show me it did and it did..... i think it might be the charger because it is a cheap 6 amp one and i have left it out in the rain a few time and beat the hell out of it when i had my last system hooked up to it.. 2 amps cd player and crossover.. or maybe because the posite and negitves have touched each other so many time before....what do u think.. thank for your time

Thread Information