Thread: Powering...

Junior Member Registered Member

Powering...

I just bought a set of Infinity 60.5cs (fronts) and 62.5i (rear) speakers. In your opinon, what would be the best way to power them? I've had a few guys comment about a 2 chan for the components and leaving deck power to the rears. Others say a 4 chan cause RMS ratings aren't much diff (90 and 70). It would be nice to get some real pro input before making a decision (I don't hold too much faith in what some of the say). Oh and I'm hoping to spend around $300 or so.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akrotix
    I just bought a set of Infinity 60.5cs (fronts) and 62.5i (rear) speakers. In your opinon, what would be the best way to power them? I've had a few guys comment about a 2 chan for the components and leaving deck power to the rears. Others say a 4 chan cause RMS ratings aren't much diff (90 and 70). It would be nice to get some real pro input before making a decision (I don't hold too much faith in what some of the say). Oh and I'm hoping to spend around $300 or so.
    A cheap 2 channel for hte front and run the deck power to the rears. Thats cause I enjoy having a good sound stage coming from the front nad the rears as rear fill but thats me. Actually I dont even have rear speakers hooked up in my truck. And my brother is running rear fill in his truck. And let see most of the experinced guys on the forum are running the rears as rear fill and concentrating on a good front soundstage.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akrotix

You could get yoruself a good 2 channel amp, and run your fronts and your rears off the same amp--run your fronts nad rears in pararrel--so your amp will see a 2ohm load. just make sure the left side of the car is hooked up to the same channel on the amp and the right side of the car is hooked up on the same channel.

Or you can do what easy said, and just leave the rears hooked up to the deck--but i woudln't recogmend replacing them--as yoru 62.5i's won't get enough power from yoru deck to make a difference--they will be way over powered by the 60.5cs (therefore just being a 'fill').

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    I would go with Easy's suggestion first. Just run the front speakers off the amp. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the rear speakers and run them off the deck as well. The stock speakers will distort at higher volumes a lot easier than the aftermarket ones. Of course, when you push the volume too high, you'll have distortion from the HU no matter what.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

ima have to go againts all of you guys on this one, is the guy only running 4 speakers? front and rears, no subs? in that case i would use a 4 channel amp. i would power all 4 speakers off the amp. this is going to give all 4 speakers a balance in the quailty of sound. if u power the rear speakers off the deck theres a higher distortion rate going to the rear speakers , while the frnt speakers r going to sound cleaner and clearer because they are running off the amp. another reason is what if in the future he gets a subwoofer? then he is going to already have an amp, now he can power the fronts off the amp, rears of the deck, and use the subs off the amp.....my sugestion, buy a good 4 ch amp that can power decent subs in the future.....

I still think he should get a decently powered 2 channel amp and run it at 2ohms by wireing the front and back speakers in parallel.

Hess.

thats a good idea hess, im only thinking in the future if he gets a subwoofer then he will be all set. if there is no chance at all that he's going to get a sub, the 2 ch. amp will be best

Thread Information