Junior Member Registered Member

95 Volvo 850GLT would like to upgrade speakers a bit..suggestions?

I own an 850GLT. The car has the stock stereo/cassette system. Volvo SC-811 Premium Sound System. The rear speakers are Volvo (8 ohms). And it has speakers in the front driver side doors, and a pair in the dashboard.

I would like to replace just the dashboard and front speakers initially to see if that will be enough for my needs. I don't need a powerful system. I am not looking to ride along in my car bouncing on sound hehe...I just want a more clear, rich sounding music coming from my stereo. I am NOT going to change the stock radio at all at this point in time. So no change to the head unit.

I listen to all sorts of music, but nothing with a TON of bass. I have found that Infinity's can't handle bass to well when I listen to techno/trance..so that brand is out.

So,..what speakers would people recommend for the front doors and dashboard?

The stereo store in my area, had me up to $1,300 w/out CD changer. All MBQuart system...including MBQuart subwoofer.

To give people an idea my budget is about $300-$500.

Also to give people an idea, I like the Infinity's I used to have in my Toyota..I didn't have an amp or anything fancy..just replaced the head unit w/a basic Alpine CD/stereo, and added replaced the crappy Toyota stock speakers..w/entry level Infinity speakers..and I was happy.

SO...w/that said...what suggestions do people have...I appreciate your time.

One person mentioned something like this, but I am unsure if I need a subwoofer or an amp based on my listening needs.

JL W0 subwoofer ($100)
    JL 125W monoblock amplifier ($150)
    CDT CL-5x coaxials ($50)
    Good prefab sub-enclosure ($50)
    High/Low converter ($10)
    Amp wiring kit ($30)

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viper69
    I own an 850GLT. The car has the stock stereo/cassette system. Volvo SC-811 Premium Sound System. The rear speakers are Volvo (8 ohms). And it has speakers in the front driver side doors, and a pair in the dashboard.

I would like to replace just the dashboard and front speakers initially to see if that will be enough for my needs. I don't need a powerful system. I am not looking to ride along in my car bouncing on sound hehe...I just want a more clear, rich sounding music coming from my stereo. I am NOT going to change the stock radio at all at this point in time. So no change to the head unit.

I listen to all sorts of music, but nothing with a TON of bass. I have found that Infinity's can't handle bass to well when I listen to techno/trance..so that brand is out.

So,..what speakers would people recommend for the front doors and dashboard?

The stereo store in my area, had me up to $1,300 w/out CD changer. All MBQuart system...including MBQuart subwoofer.

To give people an idea my budget is about $300-$500.

Also to give people an idea, I like the Infinity's I used to have in my Toyota..I didn't have an amp or anything fancy..just replaced the head unit w/a basic Alpine CD/stereo, and added replaced the crappy Toyota stock speakers..w/entry level Infinity speakers..and I was happy.

SO...w/that said...what suggestions do people have...I appreciate your time.

One person mentioned something like this, but I am unsure if I need a subwoofer or an amp based on my listening needs.

JL W0 subwoofer ($100)
    JL 125W monoblock amplifier ($150)
    CDT CL-5x coaxials ($50)
    Good prefab sub-enclosure ($50)
    High/Low converter ($10)
    Amp wiring kit ($30)

Well, there is no 'good' prefab sub enclosure for 50 dollars.... also, if you want it to be nice and clear--and youd ont need a lot of bass, you could just get yoruself a good set of mids for your front doors, and then some highs in your dash (usualloy that is how it works atleast). Crutchfield says you have 4" in the doors.... get a decent pair of them, and replace your highs in yoru dash (probably 3 1/2's). run those on a smaller amp (I use a kicker ix402 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW 25 dollars right now). And if you want to have clear sound, replace your stock deck right now with something decent. then if the bass isn't enough, you can dump a lil bit more money in and get a sub.

just my thoughts

some cars, volvos, with a "Premium Sound System" require a complete makeover. you beter double check with a good shop that knows what they are doing. if this is the case you will have to replace all of your speakers and radio, in some cases you can kept the radio and only have to replace the speakers. does your car have an internal amp? check under the seats, under the rear deck in the trunk or on the side walls, you may see a small box. from my understanding, most volvos are a pain to work with, if you do most of the work you will save at least half the money on install work. while you decide what speakers sound best to you, my sudgestion is to go to a couple shops, listen to all the speakers and decide, what i like is probaly differnt from what easy is going to like, which is differnt from what cv will like, everyone has their own taist and prefernces for speakers. mb quarts are good speakers, a little to bright for my taist. some other good ones include focal, boston, ads, alpine tpye r's ( i think they are very good value and good sounding), and, of corse, quarts.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seans
    some cars, volvos, with a "Premium Sound System" require a complete makeover. you beter double check with a good shop that knows what they are doing. if this is the case you will have to replace all of your speakers and radio, in some cases you can kept the radio and only have to replace the speakers. does your car have an internal amp? check under the seats, under the rear deck in the trunk or on the side walls, you may see a small box. from my understanding, most volvos are a pain to work with, if you do most of the work you will save at least half the money on install work. while you decide what speakers sound best to you, my sudgestion is to go to a couple shops, listen to all the speakers and decide, what i like is probaly differnt from what easy is going to like, which is differnt from what cv will like, everyone has their own taist and prefernces for speakers. mb quarts are good speakers, a little to bright for my taist. some other good ones include focal, boston, ads, alpine tpye r's ( i think they are very good value and good sounding), and, of corse, quarts.
    Yep thats pretty much on the money. Go listen to the speakers and see what u like. some people like brighter highs etc some people a more laid back sound. Its all up to the person. And yes premium factory systems are pretty much a pain to work with. What year is your volvo I can look up a bit of information to see how hard it can be.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Yep thats pretty much on the money. Go listen to the speakers and see what u like. some people like brighter highs etc some people a more laid back sound. Its all up to the person. And yes premium factory systems are pretty much a pain to work with. What year is your volvo I can look up a bit of information to see how hard it can be.
    Thread Title:
    95 Volvo 850GLT would like to upgrade speakers a bit..suggestions?

hehehe

hess.

Thread Information