Junior Member Registered Member

transmission maintenance options

I have a 2001 Alero. My manual says at 50,000 miles to change the transmission fluid and filter under certain conditions. I don't drive in really harsh conditions, so I didn't do it right then, but now at 63,000 I want to change it just to try to make the transmission last longer.

I took it to a small shop that we trust, to do the fluid and filter change, and they looked at it and said they did not have the equipment to change it on my car. So it hasn't happened yet.

Then I was at another larger shop to get my yearly inspection, and they are running a special on a transmission flush (or something like that). I asked the guy about it, and he says with this, the entire transmission fluid is replaced, whereas with a fluid and filter change, half the old fluid is still in the system. However, with this special, they do not replace the filter; the guy said that is typically unnecessary, and the fluid is the important part.

Does anyone know any more pros and cons about these two methods? I'm just worried cause the manual says to change the filter. Thanks for your help!!!

Senior Member Registered Member
    The fluid should be drained and the pan should be dropped to replace the filter. Some tranny's have a drain plug on the torque converter. It should be changed every 30k or at recomended intervails. If you plan on dumping the car at 100k don't worry about it but if you want to hold onto it change it asap and keep doing it every 50k.

Junior Member Registered Member
    I have never changed a transmission filter in my life that was visibly dirty unless it was on a car that already had problems. When they run a flush (if done properly) they unhook the cooling lines from the radiator let the transmission pump suck in a cleaning solvent then they switch over to tranmission fluid. When almost complete they will add stop leak to the oil as the solvent will dry out the seals if left untreated. The cleans up any varnish building up and you have fresh oil throughout the entire tranmission. If you are planning on putting a lot of miles on the car 150K -200K you might want to have the screen replaced on alternating service dates (drop the pan) - mainly to check the condition of the transmission. If you're getting debris in the screen either get rid of the car or start making plans to replace the transmission. Modern band material in transmissions wears off in such small pieces they will continue to circulate through the transmission (passing through the screen). If its coming off in "chunks" big enough for the screen to catch your tranni is on its way out.

Do not let them "power flush" the tranni - this saves them some fluid but is hard on the transmission - best method allows the transmission pump to do the work .

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    I'd have both the fluid and the filter changed.
    Slanter - redefining "jury rigged repair" since 1997
    '66 Dodge Dart & 2000 Ford Focus -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information