Junior Member Registered Member

Car speakers don't fit

The speakers I bought don't fit in my cars factory locations. How much does it cost to get custom fiberglass enclosures made to fit the speakers?

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlb55
    The speakers I bought don't fit in my cars factory locations. How much does it cost to get custom fiberglass enclosures made to fit the speakers?
    That's probably gonna run ya a couple hundred bucks unless you feel like taking it on yourself... But I'd recommend taking back the speakers you got to, well... get some that fit. Sounds like the best solution to me. Check out www.crutchfield.com to see what fits your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinada
    That's probably gonna run ya a couple hundred bucks unless you feel like taking it on yourself... But I'd recommend taking back the speakers you got to, well... get some that fit. Sounds like the best solution to me. Check out www.crutchfield.com to see what fits your car.

I know, but I like the speakers and don't want to get rid of them.

I know, but I like the speakers and don't want to get rid of them.
    What speakers are they? And what size? Also what car are they going into? You can always replae them for the same model speaker, just a different size.

What speakers are they? And what size? Also what car are they going into? You can always replae them for the same model speaker, just a different size.
    They're 6.5'' Polk momos components going into an Acura TL. The 6.5's have better bass response, so I want to keep those.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    They're 6.5'' Polk momos components going into an Acura TL. The 6.5's have better bass response, so I want to keep those.

Well, you have two options then. Either build some fiberglass kicks yourself, OR, pull out the jigsaw and open up the factory hole until the speaker fits.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Well, you have two options then. Either build some fiberglass kicks yourself, OR, pull out the jigsaw and open up the factory hole until the speaker fits.
    OR, have somebody build them for ya (it'll cost you), or look around to see if anybody makes some prefab kicks...

OR, have somebody build them for ya (it'll cost you), or look around to see if anybody makes some prefab kicks...

Yeah, that's another possibility, but I was trying to stick with the cheaper alternatives.

if the speaker actually fits in the basket (or close enough) you could use a dremel tool and make the opening a little bit wider, or if itd oes fit and the screw holes don't matc,you could use a drill and make your own holes--that is what i had to do for my jeep.

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hessakia
    if the speaker actually fits in the basket (or close enough) you could use a dremel tool and make the opening a little bit wider, or if itd oes fit and the screw holes don't matc,you could use a drill and make your own holes--that is what i had to do for my jeep.
    Grinding out that opening with a Dremel isn't easy. Usually the speaker opening is part of the frame/chassis/body of the car (for the rears anyway), and it's decently thick metal to cut. You're better off using an air-powered angle grinder or coarse sander to get the job done.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Should the speaker enclosure be sealed or an open air type?

Should the speaker enclosure be sealed or an open air type?

Depends on the speaker. Some work well free air, some prefer IB, and others prefer a true enclosure. Just play around and see what sounds best.

So, basically, if I have a car audio shop construct some custom fiberglass enclosures, it will cost me about $200 for a pair? Is that what I should espect to pay?

So, basically, if I have a car audio shop construct some custom fiberglass enclosures, it will cost me about $200 for a pair? Is that what I should espect to pay?

Depends on the shop. However, it's not hard to build fiberglass kicks. Here, look at this:
    http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/Glassing1/index.htm

Thread Information