Hybrid View

Junior Member Registered Member

Can a Toyota Echo be cool?

Just like any company trying to save money to pass that on to the consumer. What economy car would not be embarrasing to our young employees. We know we can get a great deal on a fleet of the Toyota Echo, but our feedback so far is 50/50. How can we make a Echo cool for under 2,000.00.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar

Define cool.

Being somewhat devious-minded, I happen to think that a slow-looking car with a huge amount of horsepower is cool. However, to give an Echo a big enough boost in power would probably take a turbocharger or supercharger. If such a kit existed for one it might be priced at around $2,000. However, I haven't been able to confirm the existance of any such upgrade for the Echo, and if one does it might cost even more. It's not likely to cost significantly less. On the other hand, this sort of thing is most likely to appeal only to people with me who have a warped sense of humor, or to street racers looking for sucker bets. I don't know what sort of business you run, but this may not be the type of employees or image you want. And that price doesn't include installation. I've heard of Echos built for handling, but I'm not sure how that would go over with employees.

If you want to make an Echo look cool rather than raise eyebrows at the dragstrip, you've got a different issue. I think the biggest problem with the Echo comes from its proportions, which can't easily be changed with aftermarket add-ons. The Echo is a narrow, upright car that manages to look pretty gangly and awkward. Proportions have been changed before, though - it's got quite a tradition in car customizing. You might see what a local custom shop would charge to chop the tops about 3". However, having this done right may be a bit costly. Also, Echos have a very strange quirk - the windshield ends so far below the roof level that some drivers who can comfortably fit in one find that the windshield ends below eye level, making it hard to see things like traffic lights. Chopping the top may exasperate this problem depending on how the work is done.

I'd say the Echo is a difficult choice to make cool - could be done on a low budget by a determined enthusiast building it to his own personal vision of coolness, but if you're having a fleet built and paying someone to do the work, and worse, trying to please everyone with an identical fleet, it's likely to go over budget. The Echo not only lacks power and handling in stock trim, but it just plain has very awkward proportions. You might want to look for a more acceptable small car. Unless you want to do something totally offbeat, like a fleet of restored Ford Falcons. I know one company not too long ago used a fleet of 40 year old Simcas!

Lincoln Registered Member
    No, a Toyota Echo will never be cool. It could be the fastest car on earth but it would still look like the mutant baby of a Camry.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln
    No, a Toyota Echo will never be cool. It could be the fastest car on earth but it would still look like the mutant baby of a Camry.
    theres a few cool echos in my street.. same family got 2 of them.. similar bodykits, small wheels, skirts, double lights etc.. i used yto think the same echos could never be cool but i was walking to the traino first time i spotted 'em i thought it was a peugot cos i only saw it from a distance but it looked rather decent
    Website devoted to bass:
    (website link removed due to lack of hits)

Senior Member Registered Member
    Buy Ford Focus's they seem to be popular, plus Ford seems to sell to company's all the time.

Talking Sure Echo's can be cool (My 2004)

From this...

To this...
    Last edited by toptech; 08-28-2004 at 16:39.

Dude, my dad has a toyota echo and they are super sweet, it's got so much headroom, and the body roll makes it wicked fun especially when trying to go over the speed limit (happened a couple times). It's incredible fun in those, I love the two tone idea, you know, how the bumpers are grey and the body isn't... Echos are already maxed out in their coolness.
    The only place I buy performance parts -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think those Echo from the Pirelli Echo Cup are cool. But you can't transform a stock Echo into this with only 2000$...
    If you want one race prepared, it's 26900$ CND click here to get specs http://www.echocup.com/car_specs.php
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Thread Information