Thread: sub thoughts

Member Registered Member

sub thoughts

I just got me a MTX Thunder801d amp today. 800x1 @ 2 ohms.

I'm thinking of just running one tight 15" sub. I was thinking the Alpine type r 1541d might be one choce. I am correct that i could run that sub with this amp so the amp see's a 2 ohm load right and get all the power it needs? Also, i know the 1541d says 500rms but i was wondering if anyone knew if it could take more since i know the 12 type r's can take more than 300w.

What might also be some other good 15" sub choices? Like i said, i just want one 15 and i'm not trying to pay a ton, i know that 1541 i can get for around $200. What do you guys think?

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCroosh

I'm thinking of just running one tight 15" sub. I was thinking the Alpine type r 1541d might be one choce. I am correct that i could run that sub with this amp so the amp see's a 2 ohm load right and get all the power it needs? Also, i know the 1541d says 500rms but i was wondering if anyone knew if it could take more since i know the 12 type r's can take more than 300w.

What might also be some other good 15" sub choices? Like i said, i just want one 15 and i'm not trying to pay a ton, i know that 1541 i can get for around $200. What do you guys think?
    I think that amp is too big for it. It's true a lot of people feed their 12" Type R more than 300 watts, but a lot of them also blow them. And by feeding your 15" version 300 watts over the RMS is just asking for thermal failure. You'd be better off running a pair f dual 2 ohm 12" Type Rs.

Um, a 15 that would work well with that amp? Of course there is the Adire Brahma, MTX 9500, and RE XXX, but I think those are out of your budget. You could try the Kicker L7. That would handle the power fine. There aren't that many cheap 15" woofers that can handle 800 wrms, the L7 is probably your best bet.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Member Registered Member
    I only want one sub in my car. I know that MTX has plenty of power for anything i want, but i only paid 150 for it from a friend, so i figured what the heck. I would just turn the gain down and since the alpine 15's handle 500 rms i think i would be perfectly happy with that. If that would work, to run one type r 15 with my amp i would need the 1541d right??

On a side note, i used to have a MTX6500d and two type r 12's. I fed them about 400 watts each for 2 years with no problem, i sold that system about 3 months ago and now i just want one simple 15. I also like how i could put one in a box as small as 1.3 cubic feet.

Senior Member Registered Member
    I only want one sub in my car. I know that MTX has plenty of power for anything i want, but i only paid 150 for it from a friend, so i figured what the heck. I would just turn the gain down and since the alpine 15's handle 500 rms i think i would be perfectly happy with that. If that would work, to run one type r 15 with my amp i would need the 1541d right??

On a side note, i used to have a MTX6500d and two type r 12's. I fed them about 400 watts each for 2 years with no problem, i sold that system about 3 months ago and now i just want one simple 15. I also like how i could put one in a box as small as 1.3 cubic feet.

In all honestly, if your goign for a "budget" setup and are feeding them about 800 watts--i woudl go with a pair of JL w3v2's.... it would cost you about another $100 for a pair... but with a paif or 12 w3v2's feeding them roughly 400 (they are rated at 300watts RMS)watts (you might have to turn your gains down a lil bit) you could easily hit in the 140+ db's in a drag competition in the right box....as CV said, a brahma rates at aroudn the same wattage as you are specifying (depending on the box) and 1 brahma will definatly pound more than anything you can get in that price range (alghough a brahma is about 350 a sub, it woudl definatly be wroth it).

my vote goes for a lil more cash and a w3v2 or a few W0's.

Hess.

Member Registered Member
    My vote goes for one sub like i said. I just had two type r 12's that were fed alittle more than 400 watts each. Which in my opinion was a better sounding than w3's. Were they loud, hell yes, but i dont desire having the loudest bass for everyone to hear. I want something loud, deep, and clean. For MY ears only, not for everyone outside.

A pair of subs is not happening and im not considering it, i want the trunk space and im sure i can do just fine with a single loud 12 or 15. I am either going with that Type R 1541d or something else just as good or better that i can find a deal on.

My vote goes for one sub like i said. I just had two type r 12's that were fed alittle more than 400 watts each. Which in my opinion was a better sounding than w3's. Were they loud, hell yes, but i dont desire having the loudest bass for everyone to hear. I want something loud, deep, and clean. For MY ears only, not for everyone outside.

A pair of subs is not happening and im not considering it, i want the trunk space and im sure i can do just fine with a single loud 12 or 15. I am either going with that Type R 1541d or something else just as good or better that i can find a deal on.

A Kicker L7 in a sealed box will work much better than the Type R. Because of the increased cone area, you'll get more powerful, deeper bass. And, if you seal it, you'll get pretty good SQ as well.

Senior Member Registered Member

a single infinity kappa perfect will get very loud and sound great--i have a 10.1 in a sealed box, feeding it about 600watts and it rattles my entire truck (its a jeep grand cherokee laredo).

if you could get your hands on a 12 kappa perfect, put it in a larger sealed box and feed it a good deal of power, it will get very loud and sound very good. or you can port it, and it will be even louder, with some loss of SQ.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    A Kicker L7 in a sealed box will work much better than the Type R. Because of the increased cone area, you'll get more powerful, deeper bass. And, if you seal it, you'll get pretty good SQ as well.
    Interesting, 1000 watts rms huh.... How is the SQ on those? I have no doubt they are loud as hell, but is bass on them pretty tight? Can they keep up? What is a average price for them, on ebay or whatever. How big of a box do they require??

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    Interesting, 1000 watts rms huh.... How is the SQ on those? I have no doubt they are loud as hell, but is bass on them pretty tight? Can they keep up? What is a average price for them, on ebay or whatever. How big of a box do they require??
    The L7 runs about $400 on sound domain. Ebay..I found one for about $137. Not too many of them though. Not sure about box sizes...but there are a helluva lotta L7 Boxes for sale on ebay too.

http://search.ebay.com/Kicker-L7-15_...ecordstoskipZ0
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

Member Registered Member

how bout this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=299-665

The specs are awesome besides the fs. You may want to port it, it'll handle all the power you need and has tremendous xmax. I never personally heard it, but partsexpress/dayton makes good stuff. Good luck.

The L7 can be a little on the sloppy side, but that's also in the ported box. If you put it in a medium sized sealed box, it sounds quite good. Ported, they requires about 3-5 cubes. Sealed, I think you can get it small as 1.5 cubic feet, maybe smaller. You can get them for about $150-$250 on ebay. They don't really have tight bass, but there are very few 15s that can give you tight bass (the Type R is not a tight sub), and the ones that do usually incorperate an advanced motor design like the W7s cross drilled pole piece or Adires XBL^2.

Member Registered Member
    Interesting, let's make this easy. If you had $200 to spend on a 15" from ebay or somewhere comperable, what would you buy?

As everyone is, im looking for the best SQ and SPL possible.

Is reason i like the type r 15" is b/c of the 500 rms and the price. And i know the SQ is pretty decent.

Interesting, let's make this easy. If you had $200 to spend on a 15" from ebay or somewhere comperable, what would you buy?

As everyone is, im looking for the best SQ and SPL possible.

Is reason i like the type r 15" is b/c of the 500 rms and the price. And i know the SQ is pretty decent.

A Type R wont take 800 rms. You could use it, but you'd have to turn down the gains on the amp, defeating the purpose of having an amp with that much power.

I would still go with the Kicker L7, or the cheaper L5. Both will handle the power easily, and, with a good box, both will sound good. And they will get loud as well. They can sound as good as Type Rs, but get louder much easier because of the increased cone area. Plus the L5/L7 are both power hungry subs, so I doubt you'll have to worry about blowing them with that power.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    A Type R wont take 800 rms. You could use it, but you'd have to turn down the gains on the amp, defeating the purpose of having an amp with that much power.

I would still go with the Kicker L7, or the cheaper L5. Both will handle the power easily, and, with a good box, both will sound good. And they will get loud as well. They can sound as good as Type Rs, but get louder much easier because of the increased cone area. Plus the L5/L7 are both power hungry subs, so I doubt you'll have to worry about blowing them with that power.

I dont think im interested in the kickers. From what i hear they need a large box to sound right (porter for better), and i hear the SQ isnt too good. Along with sq im looking to use as little room as possible in my trunk. Call me crazy but im starting to reconcider the Pioneer Premier TS-W2000spl. I know they are 750 rms, but there has got to be a reason why they are so cheap. Anybody hear anything?

ALso, since i am looking for decent SQ would looking into 12's be in my best interest? I guess im partial to the Type R's b/c i had two type r 12's and i loved them. If the 15's SQ is as good as those id get one in a second, are they? I'm not asking if the type r's SQ is good in general, im asking if the 15's sound the same as the 12's sq wise.

Thanks so much guys!

Thread Information