Big JynX Registered Member

Question Need a Sub Compatible with Amp!!!

I have a -Punch P5002- info and specz can be found HERE.
    Now with this amp, I've blown 2-15" Xtant A1544A'z, 2- 15" Kicker Comp Vr'z, and 1 Orion XTR...
    Noticing the types of subs I've blown, I figured I had a pretty good amp and that I just had crappy subs...
    BUT I went to a car audio store and told one of the salesmen what amp I had, and he said "Man! Why'd you buy that piece of crap!?"
    So I need to know, is it REALLY a crappy amp, or is it the subs I've been using???
    Keep in mind that I upgraded to this amp from it's previous model the Punch 501 S ...
    Somebody PLEASE tell me where I went WRONG!!!
    Big JynX
    CEO of
    GK2 Internet Productionz

Senior Member Registered Member
    No, that is not a crap amp. You probably had your settings up too high and had a box not made for those subs. There are many better amps for the money, but that one isn't crap. Sometimes the "experts" at car audio don't really know what they're talking about...in fact that's the case alot of the times. For instance, at my local shop the manager there told me that Audiobahn amps were the best out there...hahaha.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JynX
    I have a -Punch P5002- info and specz can be found HERE.
    Now with this amp, I've blown 2-15" Xtant A1544A'z, 2- 15" Kicker Comp Vr'z, and 1 Orion XTR...
    Noticing the types of subs I've blown, I figured I had a pretty good amp and that I just had crappy subs...
    BUT I went to a car audio store and told one of the salesmen what amp I had, and he said "Man! Why'd you buy that piece of crap!?"
    So I need to know, is it REALLY a crappy amp, or is it the subs I've been using???
    Keep in mind that I upgraded to this amp from it's previous model the Punch 501 S ...
    Somebody PLEASE tell me where I went WRONG!!!
    sounds like you clipping the amp. And I don't know if they're telling the truth with that amps specs. 125 watts a channel in 4 ohms, than 500 watts bridged at 4 ohms, it should be around 250-300. Clipping the amp can easily ruin a sub, hell I just blew my first speaker a month ago by clipping a 10 watt amp on a 12" sub I connected to my computer system. Basically, you're gonna have to realized what the amps and speakers limits are. Those no real excuse to blowing all those subs, find a "reference volume" and turn it down when you hear them straining. And should easily be able to hear it if the amp is clipping or the subs bottoming out.

-Joey

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    sounds like you clipping the amp. And I don't know if they're telling the truth with that amps specs. 125 watts a channel in 4 ohms, than 500 watts bridged at 4 ohms, it should be around 250-300. Clipping the amp can easily ruin a sub, hell I just blew my first speaker a month ago by clipping a 10 watt amp on a 12" sub I connected to my computer system. Basically, you're gonna have to realized what the amps and speakers limits are. Those no real excuse to blowing all those subs, find a "reference volume" and turn it down when you hear them straining. And should easily be able to hear it if the amp is clipping or the subs bottoming out.

-Joey
    Clipping a amp doesny blow a sub overpowering it does. And that amp will put out 500 watts. Remeber that each channel runs at half the ohm each when u bridge share the same resistance over 2 channels mean half the impedence. So that means the amp outs out 125 a channel at 4 ohms and it can do 250 at 2 ohms thats 500x1 at 4 ohms bridge. He could be clipping the amp and blowing the subs could also be the box, could be alot of things.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Clipping a amp doesny blow a sub overpowering it does. And that amp will put out 500 watts. Remeber that each channel runs at half the ohm each when u bridge share the same resistance over 2 channels mean half the impedence. So that means the amp outs out 125 a channel at 4 ohms and it can do 250 at 2 ohms thats 500x1 at 4 ohms bridge. He could be clipping the amp and blowing the subs could also be the box, could be alot of things.
    Than how did a 10 watt amp blow a 12" speaker. It was in a very small ported box, about .75 cubic feet with one 3" wide 1" long port. It was tuned to about 75hz, so everything from 75 to 200 hz was very loud because it is a pro audio speaker. The 10 watts came from a small amplifier that once amplified a small computer subwoofer, but i connected the amp to the 12" woofer. There's no way the sub was bottoming out because I know what that sounds like, it sounded like the amp was clipping. One day the sub never sounded the same and when I pressed the cone in, I felt/heard a scraping sound of the voice coil. If clipping didn't do this what did. Please excuse me if it seems like im jacking this thread.

-Joey

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    75hz thats not healthy to be running anything bellow 75hz to a sub then even if only 10 watts. U can clip the amp a good bit get 25 watts and on a low tunning and bottom it out. And mess up hte former. Unless that PA speaker has some weak VC on it, I think it should take the power, unless your running 75hz test tones on it for a while.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    75hz thats not healthy to be running anything bellow 75hz to a sub then even if only 10 watts. U can clip the amp a good bit get 25 watts and on a low tunning and bottom it out. And mess up hte former. Unless that PA speaker has some weak VC on it, I think it should take the power, unless your running 75hz test tones on it for a while.
    Makes sense, the speaker was from the late 70's and was probably reaching the end of its days anyways. Thanks.

-Joey

box...

well i used the same box for all of them...
    a big azz wooden sealed box, with separate "chambers"...
    i did think to get a ported box...could that've helped ANY???

and another thing, i spent $350 on this amp all together, and i kinda wanna get rid of it...
    it still new, i've had it for 2 months...but only got to use it for EXACTLY ONE...
    i'd be willing to let it go for $300...maybe lower...if anybody'z interested.
    Big JynX
    CEO of
    GK2 Internet Productionz

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JynX
    well i used the same box for all of them...
    a big azz wooden sealed box, with separate "chambers"...
    i did think to get a ported box...could that've helped ANY???

and another thing, i spent $350 on this amp all together, and i kinda wanna get rid of it...
    it still new, i've had it for 2 months...but only got to use it for EXACTLY ONE...
    i'd be willing to let it go for $300...maybe lower...if anybody'z interested.

Well, that was probably your problem. That "big azz" sealed box was allowing your subs to reach max excursion too easily, and you hammered the suspension into submission. Try building a smaller sealed box. Also try a pair of subs like the Alpine Type Rs. 500 watts to a pair of 15s in a smaller sealed box would work great. And make sure you set the gain properly. Manufacturers really need to put a big "GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME CONTROL" sticker on top of their amps, because that is one of the biggest reasons people blow speakers.

And if you really want to get rid of that amp, you wont bet $300 out of it. It is used, and by the sound of it, used hard. You could get $200, maybe $250 out of it I would think.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

i dig it...

You've got a point...
    and thanx for your input...
    it'z much appreciated...EVERYBODY!!!!
    Big JynX
    CEO of
    GK2 Internet Productionz

Thread Information