Senior Member Registered Member

i hate ohm questions, yall gona laugh at me

of corse amps are stable at 4 ohms, 2, sumtimes 1 ohm. what will happen if i "make" the amp see a 3 or a 6 ohm load? is anything bad gona happen?

Quote Originally Posted by seans
    of corse amps are stable at 4 ohms, 2, sumtimes 1 ohm. what will happen if i "make" the amp see a 3 or a 6 ohm load? is anything bad gona happen?

Generally, if the amp is 2ohm stable, it will run at 3 ohms just fine... if you give the amp a 6ohm load, it will run just fine, but won't push its rated power.

Hess

thnx for the help hess, im trying something differnt in my car while i wait for funds to build up again, i wanted to be sure and didnt want to ruin anything

thnx for the help hess, im trying something differnt in my car while i wait for funds to build up again, i wanted to be sure and didnt want to ruin anything

I would NEVER recogmend running something at 6ohms (unless the amp puts out full power at 6 ohms) because all you are doing is wasting the amp's potential.

Usually, all amps will run under their specified stablility. Ie. if i have a 2 ohm stable amp, it will run at 1ohm, but it will run very hot very quick--and may sound garbled after some use--also, generally, before blowing the amp, you will spark the fuse, so use caution initially, to see how the amp reacts to 3ohms. if it runs for a while without getting too hot or cutting out, crank up the volume a bit and repeat--if it sounds good and remains stable (if the amp is 2ohm stable, it should have no problem running at 3 ohms), then it is kosher.

Hess.

of corse, but its only mids and highs, ill pprobaly only be using less then half the gain on the amp, its only a tempory set up for a month or so. i dont have any plans for the amp in the future, so not to worried about the amp

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    of corse, but its only mids and highs, ill pprobaly only be using less then half the gain on the amp, its only a tempory set up for a month or so. i dont have any plans for the amp in the future, so not to worried about the amp
    If your unsure about dropping the ohms below the stability of the amp, wire them series, just to be safe. I would run them in 6 ohms before I ran them in 3 ohms or lower. Since it's for such a short time, having a little less then optimal performance wont hurt anything. Besides, if you have no further plans for the amp, keep it in good shape, maybe you can get some money off it.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Member Registered Member
    Yeh you're fine. If it's just the mids and highs I doubt you'll even use all of the power that it puts out at 6 ohms none the less 3 ohms.

-Joey

Thread Information