Hybrid View

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar

Home Theater Project

Hi Gang,

I realize it ain't summer yet, but I am planning on fixing up a nice home theater for my father pretty soon. The project may take 2 to 3 years to complete, so this thread could essentially be dormant at times.

Since my father lives in an RV, I am considering beefing up his current theater. Presently, it's just one of those Sony theaters in a box that just came with the RV. Next year, I would like to acquire some floor standing tower speakers and a decent size receiver with preamp outputs; perhaps from Crutchfield.

But, the hall-mark will be, of course, the subwoofers as I am a man who loves my bass and am damn proud of it. I would like to alternate the subs between his theater and my car on occasion.

In the preliminary build stages, I would like to purchase a 12" TC Sounds LMS-R this summer and use it in a passive radiator set up tuned down to 20 Hz. BTW, I could not give a sh*t less about the negative reviews on that transducer as they were compiled by novices and imposters. If anybody here is curious about TC Sounds, I will be sure to provide you my objective feedback asap.

The amplifier is where things get interesting. Currently, I am contemplating some Zapco's running off the RV battery, and the battery being on a charger as per my father's advice. However, I am still undecided with the amps. I would love to acquire something in the neighborhood of 1 kW RMS as that would be pretty bad a$$ with the new Batman movies.

The thing that will probably be most late in the theater is pending on whether or not the W7 will get the butyl surround like the W6. So, perhaps a 12W7v2-3 would be a last addition.

Obviously, the amp would run a single woofer at a time to avoid funky phase issues.

So, my apologies if this thread goes dormant, but I look forward to hearing the TC Sounds this summer. If anybody wants feedback, just let me know.

Take care guys
    Last edited by KirK; 03-04-2014 at 12:34.
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Hey gang,

I thought I would just give everyone an update. I'm a little behind on the fees for an autism program I am enrolled in at the university I am attending. So, this summer I would like to get caught up on those fees, which means my purchase of the TC Sounds LMS-R might have to be delayed until next year after I have graduated.

Thus far I have been attending all of the FE Review sessions; the FE is an exam engineering students have to pass to obtain a license in engineering. So we'll see how that will turn out this fall when I take the Fundamentals Exam. But, for sure, I am very much committed to this home theater project, and would like to acquire some of the equipment next year.

Take care guys!

-Malcolm X

Hey guys,

Looks like I might be eligible for some aid for paying the autism program fees; however, I stress the word 'might'. Depends on what all needs to be processed and what sort of period that would take in the next two months. Anyway, the aid is from Rehabilitation Services since I have a documented disability. So we'll see how that goes in the next month or two.

That might free up some of my internship money over the summer so I could possible buy the TC Sound LMS-R in, perhaps, July if everything goes well. I won't be able to feed that monster any power since I leave my Audi back east at my sisters house while I'm in California with my father. Anyway, I could take some pics of it. Hopefully, if I upload them this time, there won't be a maintenance period that comes along and reduces them to nothing.

Also, I am going to try to upload a video of my system tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it uploads successfully. At present, the only thing I have at my disposal is my Canon Powershot for taking vids; I have a rather ancient cell phone (obviously I am not O.C. with cell phones, LOL!) so I would run into similar issues with that.

Okay, well take care guys!

-Malcolm X

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uis6qg7d48...ch%20Up%27.AVI

Okay that's from Dropbox; hope it works ...

That was some old school Ludacris, Catch Up, which is pretty bad @$$.

As you can tell, the res and audio is a little crappy, but for the time being I only have the Powershot. I figure once I get a vid cam next year, I'll start my own Youtube channel with comments disabled for obvious reasons.

I graduate in December this year so my father and I are figuring on going to CES 2015 in Las Vegas; that should be cool. That would definitely be a nice reward after going through an ABET accredited CE curriculum, for sure! We'll most likely be back in Cali at the end of December and will venture into Nevada when the event is held.
    Last edited by KirK; 04-04-2014 at 14:42.

-Malcolm X

Here's some old school Jay Z, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, from his Black Album.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7o99d2k7wg...houlder%27.AVI

-Malcolm X

I got some Goth and some Gangsta Rap, so if anybody has a request just let me know. Mmmm ... yeah, I would get tired of the usual fare of videos on Youtube containing the W6v3's. Pretty bland, plain jane new age hip hop and other garbage in those videos; not to mention most of the time the lens isn't even pointed toward the transducer; it's pointed toward the HU ... or S.S. ...
    Last edited by KirK; 04-04-2014 at 18:40.

-Malcolm X

Thread Information