Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Brahma

SeNiOr MeMbEr!!! Registered Member nastynas's Avatar

Wanted - Brahma

Hey all,

Is there anyone out there selling an Brahma subwoofer by Adire Audio? I've never heard one but have heard from others that it sounds really good.

Even though it's a long shot but if anyone has a Brahma that they're willing to ship to the UK, please give me a shout. It will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nas.
    ''these Over-night Wonder, Self Proclaimed Audio Guru's who think x number of years of being enamored with their own perception of audio actually accounts for 'knowledge'... '' Kirk

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    Hey Nas man!!!

To the best of my knowledge; CV did not sell his other 12 inch AA Brahma. If you can still contact him; that would be your best bet. I've seen YouTube of the AA Parthenon before; the xmax looked very bad @ss, has a Free Air Res Freq of 7 Hz. Would be interesting to see the BL Product on the Brahma and Parthenon; I'm sure its WAY up there. For sure.

Lately, I've been entertaining the thought of a home theater for my father. I've read from some objective reviews of TC Sounds transducers that they're quite comparable to Adire Audio. Their head quarters are in San Diego, CA; so I'll actually be residing quite close to their HQ once I graduate in December. Would love to take a tour of their HQ some day...
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Nas, any luck with contacting CV? I've checked eBay and Amazon; no such luck with finding one.

Looks like I got the green light with my TC Sounds Project this summer. I know at the very least, I can pick up the 12LMS-R in mid or late summer. I'm going to ship my 500/1 to my father's RV before we leave my sisters house for the flight out to California. With the saw I bought him, we should crank out a pretty damn good enclosure in just a couple of days. I am declining from my previous decision to design and build a passive radiator enclosure, and, instead, will be designing a transmission line for it. I'd like to try to get the tuning down to 18 or 19 Hz. That would require around 8 to 9 feet of port length, which I think I can do easily with enough 180 degree folds in the port and sizing the height to width in accordance with < 9:1. I'll probably have to take the overall depth of the enclosure to 25 to 27 inches to keep the number of folds in the port reasonable. My father's current receiver has some audio RCA outputs, so I'll experiment with what outputs I can plug the RCA's into.

If you want my feedback with LMS-R, I should be able to let you know by December at the latest. My hope, is to just preliminarily power it with the 500/1 this summer before I buy the Zapco's.
    Last edited by KirK; 05-04-2014 at 18:23.

-Malcolm X

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by KirK View Post
    Hey Nas man!!!

To the best of my knowledge; CV did not sell his other 12 inch AA Brahma. If you can still contact him; that would be your best bet. I've seen YouTube of the AA Parthenon before; the xmax looked very bad @ss, has a Free Air Res Freq of 7 Hz. Would be interesting to see the BL Product on the Brahma and Parthenon; I'm sure its WAY up there. For sure.

Lately, I've been entertaining the thought of a home theater for my father. I've read from some objective reviews of TC Sounds transducers that they're quite comparable to Adire Audio. Their head quarters are in San Diego, CA; so I'll actually be residing quite close to their HQ once I graduate in December. Would love to take a tour of their HQ some day...
    I have been trying to contact CV for months now, I have no idea where he's disappeared (I hope he's well).

I would love to take a trip to your ends. So much audio there, it's amazing.

Oh, and SEVEN HERTS! lol
    ''these Over-night Wonder, Self Proclaimed Audio Guru's who think x number of years of being enamored with their own perception of audio actually accounts for 'knowledge'... '' Kirk

Cool

Nas, any luck with contacting CV? I've checked eBay and Amazon; no such luck with finding one.

Looks like I got the green light with my TC Sounds Project this summer. I know at the very least, I can pick up the 12LMS-R in mid or late summer. I'm going to ship my 500/1 to my father's RV before we leave my sisters house for the flight out to California. With the saw I bought him, we should crank out a pretty damn good enclosure in just a couple of days. I am declining from my previous decision to design and build a passive radiator enclosure, and, instead, will be designing a transmission line for it. I'd like to try to get the tuning down to 18 or 19 Hz. That would require around 8 to 9 feet of port length, which I think I can do easily with enough 180 degree folds in the port and sizing the height to width in accordance with < 9:1. I'll probably have to take the overall depth of the enclosure to 25 to 27 inches to keep the number of folds in the port reasonable. My father's current receiver has some audio RCA outputs, so I'll experiment with what outputs I can plug the RCA's into.

If you want my feedback with LMS-R, I should be able to let you know by December at the latest. My hope, is to just preliminarily power it with the 500/1 this summer before I buy the Zapco's.
    I am hoping CV just pops up one day, I just can't replace him for audio and fishing advice :P

Hey, Transmission line is the way to go dude I wish I could hear it when it's completed but atleast I can expect a video?
    You sound like you love joinery and the whole hands on approach, I am useless at even the most basic of home style D.I.Y tasks.

What is an LMS-R and which Zapco amps are you interested in?

By the way, 2 man team keeping this sub forum alive for now.

TC Sounds is one of very few manufacturer's that publish the real hardcore Thiele Small Parameters like Motor Force Bl Product. Resonant Engineering publishes the Bl products for their subwoofer's. Unfortunately, JL Audio has never published their subwoofer's Bl Product. There used to be 'great reviews' published by Vance Dickason in Car Audio & Electronics Magazine. Dickason had a very elegant narrative with his reviews that were always deeply technical and unbiased throughout. Dickason published the Bl product for the JL Audio 12W6v2-D4 back in 2004. Eric Holdaway noted a mechanical anomaly when he played the introduction to one of his Bass Mechanics tracks, which IMHO, is something a devoted JL Audio fan would gloss over in their review. The thing is, 'great reviews' are becoming less common; even expert reviews ... For instance, in an expert review, I've yet to ever come across a single review where the author does not assert their beloved genre of music as a status of sophistication. Now me on the other hand, I love my metal and my gangsta rap, particularly NWA, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, 'Easy E' (... another Easy E, LOL) since I can empathize with their hatred of police, but anyway I'm digressing, LOL!

Something interesting to note is one of the last transducers Vance and Eric reviewed was the 12" RE XXX; earning the highest score in the context of Eric's well refined listening procedure he puts the various transducer's through. He even commented, that it was his impression that the RE XXX could get real high in SPL even though in Vance's analysis the Max SPL was 132 dB. That was in a small sealed enclosure, BTW; not the mack daddy transmission lines like we talk about.

TC Sounds LMS-R have 12 inch and 15 inch models. The Xmax on each is one inch or 25.4 mm; very nice for low frequency extension in a home theater application. Motor force Bl product is 20.4 Tesla meters for the 12 inch model. I worship Tesla, its a shame a majority of us americans' glorify Thomas Edison; honestly, I thought Edison was a major charlatan. Anyway, I AM digressing again, LOL!

The 12LMS-R I am buying weighs about 39 pounds, so it will be a beast in my fathers theater. The Bl product I keep mentioning is a measure of the subwoofer's motor force; that is, how refined the motor and suspensions of the subwoofer are in maintaining a linear excursion of the diaphragm over the frequency response governed by the passband or range of frequencies between filters (i.e. cut-off frequencies of any high pass and low pass filters) and the enclosure's half power frequencies and the associated roll-offs. It is technical, but this stuff just fascinates the hell out of me.
    Last edited by KirK; 05-06-2014 at 21:14.

-Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by nastynas View Post
    I am hoping CV just pops up one day, I just can't replace him for audio and fishing advice :P

Hey, Transmission line is the way to go dude I wish I could hear it when it's completed but atleast I can expect a video?
    You sound like you love joinery and the whole hands on approach, I am useless at even the most basic of home style D.I.Y tasks.

What is an LMS-R and which Zapco amps are you interested in?

By the way, 2 man team keeping this sub forum alive for now.
    I keep bouncing back and forth between Zapco's Z series and DC series ... On the one hand, aside from the the low pass and high pass filters, I would not need all the equalization power of the DC series. On the other hand, there's only really a couple hundred dollar difference between the Z series and the DC series. So, I might be tempted to pick up a DC series.

My options are to either power the TC Sounds LMS-R with a Z-1KD; wiring the voice coils in parallel for 1000 W RMS @ a 1 ohm impedance. Second option would be to pick up either a DC-501 or a DC-1101 (? W RMS power at 1 ohm for the DC-501 to be determined and power at 4 ohms for the DC-1101 ~ 850 W - 900 W RMS I wanna say ...). In the rare event I can pick up a DC-1101 right away, I would have to wire the coils in series for a 4 ohm impedance. The TC Sounds LMS-R has a dual 2 ohm voice coil.
    Last edited by KirK; 05-06-2014 at 21:20.

-Malcolm X

Hey Nas,

Zapco's forums are up and running; I just registered. In the event that CarReview goes under we can still communicate at Zapco's forums.

I've got a couple of inquiries of my own regarding the RMS power at a certain impedance for the DC-501 and DC-1101 I would like to purchase sometime in the next couple of years. Could be a place where you can very well have inquiries answered about your Zapco amplifiers. For me, registering in a new forum has always been a rare opportunity for me. Should be cool, though.

Good luck with your endeavors of finding an AA Brahma.

-Malcolm X

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    If you really want a Brahma your best bet is ebay. Same with a RE XXX. You will need to create an ebay alert because there isn't anything on ebay right now. If you can find a Tumult then you will be living in high heaven. You can also search other popular car audio forums and see if anyone is selling.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Hey, cool Easy E! Awesome!!!

There was a 15" AA Brahma on eBay I think 3 weeks ago, but I know Nas has limited trunk space so I guess I was hoping I would see a 12 on eBay. However, their appearances seem too far and few between on eBay sometimes ...

-Malcolm X

So, if you don't mind my asking Nas, what HU did you recently buy?

Like with Eclipse, I figure once I buy a DC-364, I wouldn't need the 7 band PEQ and since you run the Zapco's you probably wouldn't have much of a need for a PEQ too. Things to always look for are 3 pairs of RCA outputs for front, rear, and woofer and a pretty high output voltage on the pre-amp outputs. For instance, my Eclipse has 5 V. Alpine is pretty good at 4 V for their higher ups. Although, I guess we need not have to worry about the latter either since we both run the Symbilink.

Take care Nas.

-Malcolm X

Sorry for the very late response. I got a very run of the mill Alpine Bce144 or something. I didn't get it for SQ but rather for the bluetooth and to charge my iphone.

I will get a high end SQ unit one day, maybe the Clarion Hxd1 or the DRZ9255.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    If you really want a Brahma your best bet is ebay. Same with a RE XXX. You will need to create an ebay alert because there isn't anything on ebay right now. If you can find a Tumult then you will be living in high heaven. You can also search other popular car audio forums and see if anyone is selling.
    So very nice to hear from you again Easy E

Is the Tamult better then the Brahma?

Sorry for the very late response. I got a very run of the mill Alpine Bce144 or something. I didn't get it for SQ but rather for the bluetooth and to charge my iphone.

I will get a high end SQ unit one day, maybe the Clarion Hxd1 or the DRZ9255.
    Hey Nas,

It really doesn't matter which HU you are running since you run the Zapco's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the SymbiLink transmitter might remedy any low voltage coming from the HU's pre-amps; so I wouldn't be all too concerned with anything higher up like Eclipse or Alpine CDE-HD149BT. I see some higher end Eclipse on eBay from time to time, the winning bid is usually between 150 and 200 if the seller has it in auction for a while. My HU, the CD 5030 is super hard to find and only makes an occasional appearance on eBay.

If memory serves me correct, the Tumult was Wiggins SQ 'ducer with great SPL capabilities, Xmax I think is around 34 mm. Only thing is, I think it's ideally suited for sealed applications, if memory serves me correct. Though, you may wanna check that to be sure; look at Efficiency Bandwidth Product EBP and Total Q Qts to get some idea. AA Brahma, I know, is good for ported apps with some good flat response. Crazy thing is, I've never actually seen a AA Parthenon enclosed or have any diaphragms and suspensions fixed to it before. I know with the sheet of MDF you usually see in some videos it can actually do 123 dB at its Fs completely unenclosed. When the AA Parthenon went to empirical fruition, I'm sure Tesla in the high heavens was smiling down at Wiggins. Legend has it, Tesla contrived a device while in Manhattan, NY that oscillated at a fundamental frequency which, in turn, wreaked havoc on structures adjacent to the device purportedly in quite a catastrophic simulated seismic front. Legend, however; much like Archimedes conceiving the Buoyant force while bathing and Newton conceiving Gravity while struck by a falling apple. There's stuff in math history that is factual, however, like Gauss calculating the arithmetic series of the first 100 integers as a child long before his subsequent admission into the gymnasium.

Hope all that helps Nas
    Last edited by KirK; 07-11-2014 at 15:22.

-Malcolm X

...For instance, in an expert review, I've yet to ever come across a single review where the author does not assert their beloved genre of music as a status of sophistication. Now me on the other hand, I love my metal and my gangsta rap, particularly NWA, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, 'Easy E' (... another Easy E, LOL) since I can empathize with their hatred of police, but anyway I'm digressing, LOL!
    Hahahaha LOL

Sorry it's taken me so long to read and understand your posts correctly. I am so busy with work and social life that I do read your posts but I've been skimming through them missing a lot of what you've taken so long to say.

Sorry dude!

It really doesn't matter which HU you are running since you run the Zapco's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the SymbiLink transmitter might remedy any low voltage coming from the HU's pre-amps; so I wouldn't be all too concerned with anything higher up like Eclipse or Alpine CDE-HD149BT.
    My problem with the (now redundant) Alpine head unit was not so much the lack of head volume 1800 milivolts or whatever it is, but more so a lack of independent phono outputs.

My audio was designed in such a way that I aimed to have total control on each speaker in the car. This would complicate matters considerably if there was only 1 phono output at the rear of the head unit.

I had 3 full size balanced cabled running down from the head unit into the DSP and 3 more symbilink cables running from the DSP into each separate channel of the amplifiers. The C2k 4.0 has 2 independent symbilink inputs to allow control between the horns and mid bass.

I was extremely impressed with this set up and when you (fingers crossed) get your Zapco DC amps (if you haven't got them already), you should be able to have similar control. I needed it because I was running full size horns with a huge amount of power going to them.

If memory serves me correct, the Tumult was Wiggins SQ 'ducer with great SPL capabilities, Xmax I think is around 34 mm. Only thing is, I think it's ideally suited for sealed applications, if memory serves me correct. Though, you may wanna check that to be sure; look at Efficiency Bandwidth Product EBP and Total Q Qts to get some idea. AA Brahma, I know, is good for ported apps with some good flat response. Crazy thing is, I've never actually seen a AA Parthenon enclosed or have any diaphragms and suspensions fixed to it before
    To be honest, you lost me a bit with the SQ 'Ducer' with great SQ capabilities. Do you mean it is a very good sub for SQ?

I love ported boxes, they give much more depth and play more flat (if designed correctly) as my taste in music is quite varied.

I have not heard of a AA Parthenon before but it seems to excite you so I am looking forward to hearing more about it

If you (or anyone else) don't mind, could you list the 3 subs and tell me which is the best or atleast which is better for what kind of usage?

You're always a great help Kirlk,

Thanks, Nas.
    Last edited by nastynas; 07-30-2014 at 14:10.

Hey Nas, sorry my internet is down this week so I'm just struggling on some weak signals off of a WiFi network in the RV Park. Fingers crossed, we should have some Exede WiFi up and running tomorrow if the installer arrives.

My bad with my usual fair of contraction crap, LOL. SQ (trans)ducer is what I was implying in that one post, transducer in that context implying the subwoofer.

The AA Parthenon was more of an experiment conceived by Wiggins for pushing the envelope for heavy excursion subwoofers. To give you some idea; the Parthenon's Xmax was right around 84 mm and it's peak-to-peak was 6 inches, if memory serves me correct. It wasn't mass produced. The subwoofer itself weighed 45 lbs whereas the MTX 22" Jackhammer is capable of about 63 mm Xmax, but weighs a hernia inducing 350 lbs. So the Parthenon was quite more efficient for its size.

To answer your question; for a ported application go with an AA Brahma like you originally planned Nas. Take Easy E's advice and put alerts out on eBay for the Brahma. When the AA site was still up and running in 2005, I'm almost certain the description for the Tumult suggested that the subwoofer is ideal for sealed enclosure applications.

Take care Nas.
    Last edited by KirK; 07-31-2014 at 17:59.

-Malcolm X

Hahahaha LOL
    Yeah ... that was my psychosis talking with that jab on expert reviews. MediCal is making me look for an HMO to support the pay with one of my meds. Even when I'm on my meds I'm marginally psychotic, but even taking one of the 3 away substantially elevates my psychosis. Regarding many of these incidents concerning autistic individuals that acted on their psychosis; I have to clarify something ... Autistic individuals aren't born with psychosis; it's Small Town, USA and the accompanying morally corrupt dynamics of such a town that contributes to one developing psychosis.

But like the musical preference as a symbol of sophistication ... that's complete BS. I know of a couple of mathematics majors in the autism program I'm enrolled in that listen to NWA as well. My point is, why follow the trends and have a lust merely exclusive to metal or classic rock like so many zombies conform to? I'm the exception, I don't blindly follow trends. I love my Gangsta Rap, metal, and New German Hardness. For me, the more dark and controversial, the better ...

-Malcolm X

Did you hear about the other victim in the Elliot Rogers shooting that the media failed to make public with the other casualties?

Her name was Torrey Costas, a local honor student in Isla Vista High; valedictorian of her class and had aspirations of pursuing a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkeley. She was informed about her admission just days before the shooting transpired. In her memory, Isla Vista built a memorial statue in her honor. A local homeless man spotted making love to the statue was arrested by the IVPD. The police charged him with Statue Torrey Rape.

Just messin' around Nas; that's just a glimpse of my daily psychosis, LOL!
    Last edited by KirK; 08-09-2014 at 08:26.

-Malcolm X

So very nice to hear from you again Easy E

Is the Tumult better then the Brahma?
    Yes the tumult is better. It has 34mm xmax one way. It will work in sealed or ported boxes. It was meant more for home theater since it get really low. The Brahma only has about 27mm xmax. I wish I had my tumult back, I also wish I had my Brahma 15 back, and my Maelstroms as well. I still have a Tempest.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    Yes the tumult is better. It has 34mm xmax one way. It will work in sealed or ported boxes. It was meant more for home theater since it get really low. The Brahma only has about 27mm xmax. I wish I had my tumult back, I also wish I had my Brahma 15 back, and my Maelstroms as well. I still have a Tempest.
    Here is the brochure on it. It was designed for home audio like the tempest, but that didn't stop anyone from putting them in their cars.

http://www.bitcore.org/stuff/bass/tu...20Brochure.pdf

I have a friend who has one brand new kicking around somewhere, hes had it for like 11 years. Maybe in another 10 years he will finish the enclosure and hook it up.

You know someone remade the tempest and added XBL^2? I would love to get my hands on that driver as well. I love my tempest.

I used to have a RE XXX 18" as well in a 10-12 cubic foot box tuned to ~20hz. It was the size of a refrigerator on its side. Down firing. It was insane.

My brother still has his Shiva. I used to have a Koda 10" as well. That was a good 10" woofer.

If you were interested in a 10" Shiva that was more for car audio let me know.

I have used just about every Adire Audio subwoofer as you can see.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Hey Easy E,

How do you think a RE Audio XX v2 12 D4 would be for a home theater application? I have not found anything definitive, aside from its Xmax, which I pulled from an owner that has access to the Thiele Smalls; its 38 mm.

I'm getting super excited about buying the RE at the end of the month, but am still, admittedly, ambiguous with ported enclosures with a super low tuning frequency.

Can I get away with using RE Audio's net internal volume (2.0 cu. ft after port displacement) and extend the length of the port for a lower tuning frequency?

Or ...

Is it not quite that simple; in other words, would I have to make use of a larger net internal volume, > 2.0 cu. ft?

Thanks Easy E; I just don't want to bottom out the XX if I happen to screw something up with the enclosure. I'll be sure to set the SSF on the amp to prevent that, but I am just not quite sure if all will be well with my custom ported enclosure idea.

-Malcolm X

I am not too sure of the XXX 12". It may work fine in home theater but it is best suited in the car. You would need a bigger box then 2 cubic feet, especially if you tune it super low the port will be as big as the box. It would be hard to bottom out the woofer unless you are giving it crazy amount of power like 1000+ watts. A 500 watt plate amp would work fine.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Ah ... Okay, well thanks anyway Easy E. The construction of the enclosure won't be until February or even March next year so I'll see what info I can gather from RE.

Yeah ... It's the new XX series that came out in 2012, so RE still hasn't published any T/S online yet. The RE XX v2 12 D4 as well as the D2 version handle 1500 W RMS. The XX is RE's attempt to endow most of the technology from the XXX in the XX, but maintaining an affordable price point. For $500, its a steal if the Xmax is 38 mm. I'm guessing the Bl product is between 18 and 19 Tm like the XXX, which is nice for SQ.

Easy E, I know you've powered your Adires in the past with plate amps. What's your opinion on Cascade generators and/or some AC/DC converters?

John Borges from Zapco had mentioned his plans with a demo room using a Cascade and a big battery, so I became intrigued with the generators. I would like to power the RE XX v2 12 D4 off a Zapco DC-1101 if I can, but just need to go from alternating current to direct current. So, I would wire the RE at 2 Ohm with the DC-1101.

-Malcolm X

That just sounds expensive. You don't want a big battery laying around in your living room. They can give off poisonous gas unless its a dry cell battery like a Optima. There are some options to get a nice rackable amp as well. I don't know of any off the top of my head but check out parts express for some ideas. I used to use QSC amps for testing but they have a fan you can hear spinning all day long. Which usually isn't a issue if you are using them in a PA setup where its in a rack in a separate room etc. I know they make Class N, D, and T amps for home audio.

Ah ... Okay, well thanks anyway Easy E. The construction of the enclosure won't be until February or even March next year so I'll see what info I can gather from RE.

Yeah ... It's the new XX series that came out in 2012, so RE still hasn't published any T/S online yet. The RE XX v2 12 D4 as well as the D2 version handle 1500 W RMS. The XX is RE's attempt to endow most of the technology from the XXX in the XX, but maintaining an affordable price point. For $500, its a steal if the Xmax is 38 mm. I'm guessing the Bl product is between 18 and 19 Tm like the XXX, which is nice for SQ.

Easy E, I know you've powered your Adires in the past with plate amps. What's your opinion on Cascade generators and/or some AC/DC converters?

John Borges from Zapco had mentioned his plans with a demo room using a Cascade and a big battery, so I became intrigued with the generators. I would like to power the RE XX v2 12 D4 off a Zapco DC-1101 if I can, but just need to go from alternating current to direct current. So, I would wire the RE at 2 Ohm with the DC-1101.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah, another alternative would be a good plate amp 1000 W RMS or more; the new RE XX series handles 1500 W RMS so I would want to be relatively close to that.

I just looked at Parts Express and saw a 1 kW plate amp, is there anyway I could install a separate subsonic filter (or HPF) with a good 24 dB/octave filter slope in the likely event I want to go with a ported setup? I noticed the amp I was looking at in Parts Express didn't have a subsonic filter, that's why I asked.

Thanks about warning me about the batteries; I'm still a newb with using car audio in a home theater. Main thing is a good subsonic filter so if I built a custom ported enclosure with a tuning freq in the high 20's, I could set it to protect the woofer.

Anyway, thanks Easy E, for taking time out of your busy schedule to help me out. I haven't bought much yet aside from some rca's and rca adapters and a H/K receiver that will power some future floor standing speakers.

I'm definitely open to any ideas with plate amps; I'll do some more research on some plates.

-Malcolm X

Thread Information