Threaded View

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar

Home Theater Project

Hi Gang,

I realize it ain't summer yet, but I am planning on fixing up a nice home theater for my father pretty soon. The project may take 2 to 3 years to complete, so this thread could essentially be dormant at times.

Since my father lives in an RV, I am considering beefing up his current theater. Presently, it's just one of those Sony theaters in a box that just came with the RV. Next year, I would like to acquire some floor standing tower speakers and a decent size receiver with preamp outputs; perhaps from Crutchfield.

But, the hall-mark will be, of course, the subwoofers as I am a man who loves my bass and am damn proud of it. I would like to alternate the subs between his theater and my car on occasion.

In the preliminary build stages, I would like to purchase a 12" TC Sounds LMS-R this summer and use it in a passive radiator set up tuned down to 20 Hz. BTW, I could not give a sh*t less about the negative reviews on that transducer as they were compiled by novices and imposters. If anybody here is curious about TC Sounds, I will be sure to provide you my objective feedback asap.

The amplifier is where things get interesting. Currently, I am contemplating some Zapco's running off the RV battery, and the battery being on a charger as per my father's advice. However, I am still undecided with the amps. I would love to acquire something in the neighborhood of 1 kW RMS as that would be pretty bad a$$ with the new Batman movies.

The thing that will probably be most late in the theater is pending on whether or not the W7 will get the butyl surround like the W6. So, perhaps a 12W7v2-3 would be a last addition.

Obviously, the amp would run a single woofer at a time to avoid funky phase issues.

So, my apologies if this thread goes dormant, but I look forward to hearing the TC Sounds this summer. If anybody wants feedback, just let me know.

Take care guys
    Last edited by KirK; 03-04-2014 at 12:34.
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Thread Information