Hybrid View

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar

12W6v3-D4 Early Summer Project

Hi Gang!

I thought I would liven this place up by informing everyone about my plans for undertaking another subwoofer enclosure project.

You can expect some images to be uploaded by late May to early June. I will work my best to document images of the project throughout its course.

I will also provide some pedagogical remarks (helpful tips) to the prospective DIYer who is anxious to embark on loud speaker cabinet design.

My kind regards,

KirK
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Hey guys (in a generic sense!),

Here is the first of several images, I think I have uploaded it. The image is not Photo Shopped, that is actually two 12W6v3-D4 subwoofers. The one on the left was purchased from Creative Car Audio in mid March and the one on the right was bought at Earmark back in early February.

Because Earmark still has not attained the Authorized status I am inclined to keep the one I bought from Creative Car Audio and sell the other. It would be interesting if I could keep both, however, 100 A would just be a nightmare on my 120 A Valeo Alternator.

I'll put the one I bought from Earmark on eBay sometime between June 15 to June 20. I'll offer a 15 day Money-back-guarantee should the unit be DOA. Also, I am not interested in pursuing any other unsecure forms of transactions, so if you're interested just look for it on eBay. It is new, it just has been in my dorm this last spring semester collecting dust. The unit was not subject to power and was not installed. Us Civils are just constantly working on assignments and laboratory reports during a semester, so the unit was simply collecting dust, but in its shipping carton most of the time.

My only qualms with the W6v3 is its absence of a shorting ring. TC Sounds use shorting rings so consequently their drivers attribute high motor force BL factors. However, I find the W6v3's more aesthetically appealing than TC's drivers. What's more, it was astonishing that the 12W6v2-D4 had a BL > 20 Tesla meters back in '03, this was accomplished without a shorting ring. I am certainly not expecting higher motor force BL factors for the W6v3's; the NBR surround was a major selling point for me.

Name:  Two 12W6v3-D4.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  82.8 KB

Sorry for no image yet, let me see what I can do.. (OK, disregard, got it...) That was just my damn Canon messing things up before... Let me know if you guys have any problems viewing at your end.

Enjoy!

KirK
    Last edited by KirK; 05-23-2013 at 10:25. Reason: Acronym Dyslexia, units...

-Malcolm X

Hey guys,

FYI, I am spending two weeks with my aunt and uncle. I'll upload some images of the enclosure and accompany it with some text in mid June. I just didn't want you guys to think I am MIA.

KirK

-Malcolm X

My bad, guys, I said between 15 - 20, but its 06/21... The 12W6v3-D4 is now up on eBay for auction for those interested.

I am still getting acclimated to PST, I crossed over two time zones when I was visiting.

I will begin generating some new images and accompanying text in the next several days. Sorry...

-Malcolm X

Sorry guys,

It has been unusually warm out, but here are some images of the enclosure project's progress.

The images show the dados and the side panels. The early stages of the project. Looks like the early summer project is becoming a mid summer project.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

-Malcolm X

Hey guys, here are more images.

The first image gives a rough idea what the enclosure is going to look like. The second image shows a dado that accommodates an angled wall in the inner port wall. The third image shows another dado that will accommodate the same angled wall but in the left panel of the enclosure.

Now I know what you're thinking. A wedge enclosure inside a traditional rectangular prism enclosure is impractical for spatial reasons. While there's no disputing that, when I think of subwoofer enclosures I typically envision the Home Theater enclosures, which are almost always rectangular prisms. So I guess for me this constitutes the best of both worlds; the sound quality of a wedge and the traditional appearance of a subwoofer enclosure. Space usually isn't an issue for me, I have a cavernous trunk, and I am asocial so getting a family vehicle won't be an issue for me anytime soon, LOL. Stated simply, a spatial aspect is not of that much concern to me.

Here is the key to a wedge's sound quality:

In a traditional enclosure comprised of vertical walls, as the sound wave propagates from the rear of the cone to a back wall or port wall (vertical presumably), the wave contacts the wall forcing the wave to propagate back into the rear of the woofer causing superfluous oscillations that discernibly mar the sound quality of the enclosed system. This is known as a loaded or standing wave.

In a wedge, the sound wave propagates from the rear of the cone to an angled back wall or port wall, the wave contacts the wall and becomes deflected forcing the wave to propagate into the bottom of the enclosure, and thus not making subsequent 'direct' contact to the back of the woofer. All of this translates into the woofer oscillating only to the prescribed frequencies from the electrical signal and hence the intended sound quality. The key is the deflection of the sound wave. For best results, angle walls or port walls between 30 and 60 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by KirK; 07-07-2013 at 15:15.

-Malcolm X

Thread Information