The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar

How to Knowledgeably Buy a Subwoofer.

First and foremost, it's very likely that I'll sound a lot like -dh- in this thread. So, sorry in advance, LOL!

Maybe someone should sticky this article so we can provide youngsters' or those new to the "Car Audio Scene" with a credible and unbiased resource in purchasing that "Perfect" subwoofer that their budget accommodates. Anyway, the author's name is Bryan Schmitt. If this can't get stickyed, I'll just be glad it helped someone make an informed decision.

Link to article published on Mobile Solutions:
    http://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/h...asubwoofer.htm

THE ART OF BUYING A SUBWOOFER

What You Need to Know Before Buying a Subwoofer.

When deciding to upgrade your audio system, adding a subwoofer can produce massive results. Adding volume at sub frequencies is like adding a third dimension to your music. Whether you are considering building a new audio system, or just adding one (or more) subwoofers to your factory system, this addition will give you the single, most significant sonic improvement. Simply adding even a little bass will make a HUGE improvement.

I will never forget my first experience listening to the heart pumping sound of bass. I was listening to my friend’s newly installed system, (he had a couple of 12’s with a decent size amps), and it was literally shocking how R-E-A-L it sounded, how you could actually feel the music. I was completely amazed that you could actually feel the impact of the woofers. From that moment on I’ve been a car audio fanatic.

But, choosing a subwoofer can be confusing! There are a few questions that you should ask yourself before actually running out and buying woofers.

1. What type of sound are you looking for?

There are two main camps in the sound world: Sound Quality (SQ) or Sound Pressure Level (SPL).

Sound Quality refers to just that, a very linear response that is not boomy and is very controlled, especially when listening to complex software. An SQ System generally uses a smaller woofer and requires a smaller enclosure. A sealed enclosure would typically work best for this application.

SPL, on the other hand, is for you “Big Bass Lovers.” If you’re like me and like a lot of impact with your music (extended bass response and 3 dB more efficient gain) then you’re probably looking for a ported enclosure.

Follow the link to read the full article published on the Mobile Solutions site:
    http://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/h...asubwoofer.htm
    Last edited by bustamove; 05-06-2011 at 06:58. Reason: linking to original content
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Junior Member Registered Member bustamove's Avatar

Excellent source of information

Thanks for posting the article by Bryan Schmitt. After a quick Google search, I found a couple of well thought-out articles by Schmitt.

Sorry KirK, I had to shorten the text and provide a link to the article so we don't get in trouble with copyright infringement

Derek

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    Oh, whoops. My bad bustamove. Sorry. I didn't know I was treading in the waters of copyright infringement. Anyway, thanks for the mods and the links. I hope Schmitt's wisdom helps out the youngsters' and car audio fans alike. Thanks again bustamove.
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

SeNiOr MeMbEr!!! Registered Member nastynas's Avatar
    A very informative article, thank you for sharing
    ''these Over-night Wonder, Self Proclaimed Audio Guru's who think x number of years of being enamored with their own perception of audio actually accounts for 'knowledge'... '' Kirk

Thread Information