Member Registered Member HigHRollerZAudio's Avatar

63 impala help audio...

ok my question is i would like to go with either 3 12" jl 12w3v2 or(( jl 15w3v2's))).. ok but i have hydrolics on it and have 2 pumps and 8 batteries in the trunk see what i wanted to do is build the enclosure in the trunk and have the subs and ports facing in the cab so that the trunk will not rattle.. or have the subs facing the back of the car and the ports facing in the cab oh the car.. see i am looking on how to get the best sound and spl.... will the 3 15" fit in the location or should i go with the 3 12" i have a jbl bp1200.1 amp.. and 2 1 farard caps.. also do u know if they make kick pods for this car...... i have a jbl 80x4 amp to push the mids and highs...i will have it bridge it pushs 160 rms bridge through 2 channels i was thinking maybe diamond audio hex series 6.5 comp set... i can pay about 350 dollars for the comp set on ebay i want them to be loud as hell.. also i was looking to go with 2 10 inch flip down monitors to go in the back.. i want to be cheap like soundstorms 10.4 flip down $469... i can probley get it for about $250...bucks.....

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    It would be hard to fit 3 15s in any car without build a wall. I would maybe try a pair of higher excursion 12s or 15s. Maybe a pair of 15" W6v2s. They will sound better, and be just as loud, if not louder.

You always want the ports on the same plane as the subs, you dont want one facing into the trunk and the other facing into the cabin. You would probably get the best results to have both subs and ports play into the trunk. If the trunk is properly sound deadened, you wont have to worry abut rattles.

As for comp sets, also take a look at the Adire Kodas, and the MB Quarts Q series.

And for gods sake, get rid of those damn caps, they're a waste of money and space. If you have dimming, a cap isn't the best way to solve it. In fact, caps don't solve anything, they just mask the problem, they don't solve it.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Senior Member Registered Member
    good ideas cv, old cars are going to rattle big time so make sure you invest as much as you can to sound deadner, the old school impulas have a lot of trunk space so you shouldnt have to much of a problem putting 3 15's in there, you just have to get creative with your pumps and all that, why dont you look at airbags, you may save some trunk space.? hydrolics are kind of getting old. try and think of ways to reduce space in your trunk so you can make more space. i have seem some cars with ports built into the rear deck of the car, with the ports firing into the cabin. as far as your mids and highs go toa store and listen to them, and pick what sounds the best with you. the quarts are very bright, alpine type X,, not type r or type s, but type X are pretty bright tweets....you DO NOT want to go with caps because they are going to just screw up your electrical system, i worded that on purpose, maybe we will see why, i would look at upgrading your alternater and perhaps adding a second battery for your sound system, you want to produce more amprage from the car, the caps will only store amprage. i understand you are trying to kept the money spent as low as you can and some things you can be cheap and econocimal with, but if your cheap with electrical system upgrades, you are not going to get what you want and may end of ruining your electricle system in your car

how are hydraulics getting old???? anyways thats besides the point. understood that impalas have a large trunk area but already having 8 batteries tanks and pumps plus trying to jam a huge box in there for 3 15"s is gonna be tuff maybe you should consider putting those 15"s in a sealed enclosure or going with 12"s or 10"s

well i think they are, air bags are so much more cleaner and take less space, perhaps if he switched he could save room and then be able to put his 3 15's in there, maybe instead of 3 15's, get 2 15's that will take more power and put out more bass, its all up to him

Quote Originally Posted by inteva6184
    how are hydraulics getting old???? anyways thats besides the point. understood that impalas have a large trunk area but already having 8 batteries tanks and pumps plus trying to jam a huge box in there for 3 15"s is gonna be tuff maybe you should consider putting those 15"s in a sealed enclosure or going with 12"s or 10"s

Quote Originally Posted by seans
    well i think they are, air bags are so much more cleaner and take less space, perhaps if he switched he could save room and then be able to put his 3 15's in there, maybe instead of 3 15's, get 2 15's that will take more power and put out more bass, its all up to him
    Considering he is "pimping out" an old impala, i dont think he is goign for actual SQ, but more or less for looks--cuz for hte most part, to someoen that isn't heavy into car audio, 3 15's look a helluva lot more impressive than 2.

Hess

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    I can think of one case where capacitors make sense in an Impala. I don't know if he's upgraded his charging system, but a '62 Impala would originally have used a mechanical voltage regulator. My Dodge Dart uses one of those, and its ammeter needle wiggles so fast that it blurs during normal driving. That would probably make for a fair amount of noise through the stereo, except that with no sound insulation, a noisy aftermarket electric fuel pump, and a glasspack muffler, I can't hear the electrical noise over the road noise. A mechanical voltage regulator makes a lot of noise in a car's electrical system, and a capacitor would damp out most of it.

Still, if you haven't already, it would be a better idea to go with a solid state voltage regulator conversion and a bigger alternator.

Thread Information