Junior Member Registered Member

sound deadning install questions

hey guys.

i'm prepping to do my first sound deadning job on a rear tailgate of a 4door tracker. was wondering if anyone knows offhand a good website that has step by step pics of sound deadning installs, please share here. i wouldnt mind something with pics to guide me.

my 1st (and dumbest) question refering to the pics i've included is i assume i shuld remove the plastic barrier and replace it with the deadning material direct to the outer 'frame like' metal work. or shuld i apply it deep inside the recessed flat area? this is where the vibrating occurs but this seems like it will be a much more difficult job to apply. will removing the platstic barrier cause rusting to take place inside there much quicker? i assume the plastic was there to impede moisture. maybe i shuld spray some undercoating inside b4 putting the deadner to the frame?

next notice the wires for the rear license plate lighting and not sure if its also for rear defogger. if applying the deadner on the outer frame, i'm not gonna be able to access these wires, would that be a problem, or shuld i pull them out and tape them ontop of the deadner after installation so i can still access them. maybe someone with more automtive experience can help since i dont know how important accessing these wired would be and whether this extra step is required.

any other hints and suggestions would b greatly appreciated. thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    I would try to deaden ever surface you can reach. I believe in over kill, and when it comes to deadening, I really think it's a good idea to over-do it. I personally would try to keep the wires above the deadener, and then maybe use piece of electrical tape or similar to keep them held down after the deadener is installed. And yes, it would probably be a good idea to remove the plastic, but try to do it in one piece, so you can glue it back on later should you want to (I personally wouldn't worry about it however, the deadener should seal everything up pretty good)
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Junior Member Registered Member
    hey thxs for the advice cv!

I'll deaden the inside of the tailgate 1st as u suggested (sigh, thats gonna be a pain i was trying to avoid). how long do u leave the deadner to set b4 u can test it out? do u keep layering deadner on top of deadner on the same layer untill the noise stops? if i have to do that hav ur or would u recommend mixing deadning material? i wouldnt mind trying some of that houshold roof sheating or something that was mentioned from homoe depot here previously so as to cut costs.

hav u or anyone else here lined the roof of a mini suv with deadner? that might be wat i have to do since my roof is cuasing resonating sometimes. is it easy to remove and reinstall the carpeting up there? mine is all in one continuous peice for my 4 door 97 tracker? anyone else worked on this vehicle and know how easy it is to remove and reinstall thiis? is a job an average non mechanic can do? ?

Thread Information